Contribute
Register

[Success] ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX + TB3 + iGPU + Mojave + SFF Build

Hi, thank for the the uploaded information.
is anyone running successfully Catalina with the Asrock z390?
Long story short I had a Gigabyte Z390 Auros I Pro running Catalina. The motherboard was damaged, and I got the Asrock Z390 to continue using the computer while I wait for warranty to replace my motherboard. I’m following the guide lines in the BIOS setup but I can seem to get Catalina. I already have the drive setup with Clover to Catalina. I am thinking there’s a BIOS setting that I might be missing...Any ideas?

Last edited:
Well well, it looks like I have a fully functional hackintosh here! :)
I there any chance to get back the 2 USB3 ports under the LAN without losing anything else?
Hello! This MB have 21 ports, isn't it possible without passing the maximum of 15 that Apple has and doing it with the port limit patch is not a good idea. You can connect a hub to a USB, that's if it's safe.

You can definitely use all of the io backplate USB ports + BT at the cost of disabling all of the internal USB headers. This is exactly what my USB kext does, if you're interested.

OK, finally working perfectly; sleep wake OK; I don't have anything to test TB3.

i5-9600K, RX 5700 XT Red Dragon w/SMBIOS 19,1, Apple M.2 WiFi card.

Here is my EFI OC 0.5.7 if anyone wants to use.

Only strange is the in BIOS. I can boot with CSM off + Above4g off OK;
CSM on + Above4g on OK ; CSM off + Above4g off (as recommented) not ok.
BIOS 4.40.

Great! I guess you meant "CSM off + Above4G on (as recommended) not ok" ? Do you have a Windows as another boot drive? If so, how does it react to these CSM/Above4G changes?

You can definitely use all of the io backplate USB ports + BT at the cost of disabling all of the internal USB headers. This is exactly what my USB kext does, if you're interested.

Great! I guess you meant "CSM off + Above4G on (as recommended) not ok" ? Do you have a Windows as another boot drive? If so, how does it react to these CSM/Above4G changes?

Yes exactly. CSM off + Above4G on will only boot OpenCore 1 of 5 times randomly and with cold boot only.
So I use CSM off + Above4g off now and boots fine
Yes, I do have Windows in a separate disk.
Windows will not load with above4g enabled, CSM doesn't matter on or off

Hello everyone, I attach the new EFI OC 0.5.8
I have also checked the OpenCore Configurator to 0.5.8 and it works fine, they have added quite a few new things.
The Thunderbolt port is enabled by default and its SSDT-TbtOnPch.aml file already includes the EC and USBX patches.
If you do not want to activate Thunderbolt, disable the .aml entry and activate SSDT-EC-USBX.aml in the ACPI section.
Remember to include your own USBPorts.kext if you don't like mine and fill the data in the PlatformInfo section with your own.
Greetings

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    57.3 MB · Views: 229
Yes exactly. CSM off + Above4G on will only boot OpenCore 1 of 5 times randomly and with cold boot only.
So I use CSM off + Above4g off now and boots fine
Yes I do have windows in a separate disk.
Windows will not load with above4g enabled, CSM doesn't matter on or off
OMG you helped me fix a small but annoying issue I was facing since the beginning, not being able to properly boot Windows AND macOS with CSM disabled (thus allowing boot in full resolution) and iGPU enabled. It seems that disabling Above4G did the trick and I can now boot both OS with CSM disabled and IPGU enabled, and my dGPU is still properly recognized and usable. Thanks a lot!
I thought "above4G" was mandatory if your dGPU has more than 4GB of VRAM but now it seem more complicated than that, maybe very hardware specific, idk.
Anyway thanks again you just took a thorn out of my side.

I might give a try to your OC EFI one day. Are you using Catalina or Mojave?

OMG you helped me fix a small but annoying issue I was facing since the beginning, not being able to properly boot Windows AND macOS with CSM disabled (thus allowing boot in full resolution) and iGPU enabled. It seems that disabling Above4G did the trick and I can now boot both OS with CSM disabled and IPGU enabled, and my dGPU is still properly recognized and usable. Thanks a lot!
I thought "above4G" was mandatory if your dGPU has more than 4GB of VRAM but now it seem more complicated than that, maybe very hardware specific, idk.
Anyway thanks again you just took a thorn out of my side.

I might give a try to your OC EFI one day. Are you using Catalina or Mojave?
Lol np!
I spend lots of time trying to figure out same problem
Yes Catalina 10.15.4

Hello everyone, I attach the new EFI OC 0.5.8
I have also checked the OpenCore Configurator to 0.5.8 and it works fine, they have added quite a few new things.
The Thunderbolt port is enabled by default and its SSDT-TbtOnPch.aml file already includes the EC and USBX patches.
If you do not want to activate Thunderbolt, disable the .aml entry and activate SSDT-EC-USBX.aml in the ACPI section.
Remember to include your own USBPorts.kext if you don't like mine and fill the data in the PlatformInfo section with your own.
Greetings
I will give it a try when i have time, so far 0.5.8 was very unstable for me,
How is sleep/wake and warm boot?

Hi, thank for the the uploaded information.
is anyone running successfully Catalina with the Asrock z390?
long story short I had a gigabyte z390 auros I pro running Catalina. The motherboard damaged and I got the Asrock z390 to continue using the computer while I wait for warranty to replace my motherboard. I’m following the guide lines in the bios setup but I can seem to get catalina,( I already have the drive setup with clover to catalina. I am thinking there’s a bios setting that I might be missing...Any ideas?

I don't know whether it is the best way to use Catalina:

Steps:

First I use gibMacOS to get Mojave 10.14.6, making the USB installer, then mounting the EFI partition using Clover Configurator, and copy the zip from the first post to EFI the partition.
After that, I can boot into the mobo and install OSX successfully.
After I got Internet, I upgrade to Catalina from App Store.
During the update, it may shows "the bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk", but in fact after boot back to the Hackintosh partition, it shows 10.15.4 correctly.

In fact, I have also tried to modify the EFI based on the first post's zip, trying to boot with Catalina installer. It can boot, but seems installation can not be completed (It shows something like "an error occurred while preparing the installation. try running this application again"). I am not sure whether the installer is completed copying to the SSD or not (I didn't try to boot from SSD after this error shown).

This is exactly what my USB kext does, if you're interested.

I am interested in that kext! Please post. I tried to edit the kext with Xcode and it didn't seem to work for me

I am interested in that kext! Please post. I tried to edit the kext with Xcode and it didn't seem to work for me
Made with the help of @rj510
So all external ports are enabled, including bluetooth, and I forgot to mention that you also have 2 USB2 internal headers enabled. You can find a kinda readme file inside of the kext which preciselly tells which is what.

Attachments

• Z390PhantomITX_USBPorts_allExternal_USB2Internal.zip
    4.1 KB · Views: 80
Back