Contribute
Register

[Success] ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX + TB3 + iGPU + Mojave + SFF Build

@jonisign - heard back from Asrock. They sent me the FWupdateTool and Bin again - and this time it worked first time! I'm now on NVM 20! I will attach later.. EDIT >> Ok attached the Zip I got from Asrock that includes the firmware and FWUpdateTool - and this worked first time, didn't need to enable native mode in BIOS. One thing, txt file mentions a "warning" and having to click an OK at the end; didn't get either of those, just finished its flashing and then just sat there without any other message. Followed the instructions after about shutting down / removing power for 1 minute. Got to desktop and checked the TB tool to confirm NVM 20.

Attachments

• ac-20200331T184553Z-001.zip
    7.6 MB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Great build

Last edited:
@jonisign - heard back from Asrock. They sent me the FWupdateTool and Bin again - and this time it worked first time! I'm now on NVM 20! I will attach later..

Wow! If you could share that would be amazing. Would love to try this on my end this evening.

Thanks!

@jonisign - heard back from Asrock. They sent me the FWupdateTool and Bin again - and this time it worked first time! I'm now on NVM 20! I will attach later.. EDIT >> Ok attached the Zip I got from Asrock that includes the firmware and FWUpdateTool - and this worked first time, didn't need to enable native mode in BIOS. One thing, txt file mentions a "warning" and having to click an OK at the end; didn't get either of those, just finished its flashing and then just sat there without any other message. Followed the instructions after about shutting down / removing power for 1 minute. Got to desktop and checked the TB tool to confirm NVM 20.

Hi @Joshmo, thank you for posting! Well, I went through this process, and at the end the FWUpdateTool says "Updated Successfully." Didn't receive any warning as the txt file mentions as well. Shut down and removed power for a minute, but TB tool still says NVM 14.

What BIOS version and TB settings are you using to update?

How long did it take to flash? It took less than a second on my end, which seems strange.

Edit: have tried this on both 4.30 and 4.40 to no effect

Last edited:
Hi @Joshmo, thank you for posting! Well, I went through this process, and at the end the FWUpdateTool says "Updated Successfully." Didn't receive any warning as the txt file mentions as well. Shut down and removed power for a minute, but TB tool still says NVM 14.

What BIOS version and TB settings are you using to update?

How long did it take to flash? It took less than a second on my end, which seems strange.

Edit: have tried this on both 4.30 and 4.40 to no effect
Oh nuts - sorry to hear that! I'm on 4.30

TB BIOS settings that I had on for update:
TB Support - Enable
TB Boot support - Pre-Boot ACL
TB USB support - Disable
Titan Ridge workaround - Enabled
Security Level - No Security
SW SMI - Disabled
ACPI Notify - Disable
Windows 10 Support - Disable

It took a while to update - maybe a minute - and I didn't get a "Updated Successfully." message - just shut down / power disconnect for 1 min / reboot and bingo. definitely doesnt sound right at your end unfortunately.

Oh nuts - sorry to hear that! I'm on 4.30

TB BIOS settings that I had on for update:
TB Support - Enable
TB Boot support - Pre-Boot ACL
TB USB support - Disable
Titan Ridge workaround - Enabled
Security Level - No Security
SW SMI - Disabled
ACPI Notify - Disable
Windows 10 Support - Disable

It took a while to update - maybe a minute - and I didn't get a "Updated Successfully." message - just shut down / power disconnect for 1 min / reboot and bingo. definitely doesnt sound right at your end unfortunately.

Thanks for the info! I'll try this-- I think that the update utility is not actually pushing the FW at all, it goes from 0% to complete in under a second and says "successful." Will try these settings exactly.

Thanks for the info! I'll try this-- I think that the update utility is not actually pushing the FW at all, it goes from 0% to complete in under a second and says "successful." Will try these settings exactly.
As a final thing fwiw I am connecting using an Apple TB3>TB2 adapter to a UAD Satellite Octo, and obviously all powered up and working before the update. I'm also using the drivers they included.

As a final thing fwiw I am connecting using an Apple TB3>TB2 adapter to a UAD Satellite Octo, and obviously all powered up and working before the update. I'm also using the drivers they included.

Got it! I'm using an TB NVMe SSD enclosure as the attached device to get this running.

Tried those settings with no luck-- one thing I noticed is the tool doesn't seem to recognize the controller FW or update FW version? Does it recognize these before you try to update?

So.. if we use the updater program that joshmo provides, we don’t need to do mangos method to get TB natively working?

So.. if we use the updater program that joshmo provides, we don’t need to do mangos method to get TB natively working?

No-
If you are not planning to do the firmware flash per mango's instructions, then you can use the official firmware update to update from NVM14 to NVM20. It's not clear if, or how much, this actually improves things in practice but NVM14 is very old so NVM20 is probably better in Windows and maybe even in macOS. It does NOT give you native macOS support.

The only way to get native Apple Thunderbolt is using mango's posted firmware and SSDT. If you are flashing with mango's posted firmware, there is no need to use the official updater first because you will already be flashing a patched NVM20. it will overwrite whatever firmware is on the chip.

g\

Back