Contribute
Register

[Success] ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX + TB3 + iGPU + Mojave + SFF Build

Just followed this guide to build my machine.
i9-9900K
AsRock Z390 itx
Radeon VII
Dell wireless card in the guide

Everything works perfectly until I shut down. It kernel panics and won’t shutdown. So I have to hold down the power button to shut down.
Did I miss anything obvious?

update tb3 github.com/fangf2018

Unfortunately, I still wasn't able to get TB3 working, even incorporating some of your changes. What parts of your config, drivers, and kexts are the necessary pieces?

The fact you have devices listed in the "Thunderbolt" section of System Information suggests you might have Thunderbolt Local Node working, and would therefore be able to mount another Mac booted in Target Disk Mode. Have you tried that, and has it worked if you had?

Sounds like you missed putting emuvariablenvram.efi in your clover drivers folder.
g\
Looks like I didn't add that into my EFI, but I also had it working without that installed. Might not be the fix I need.

Heres my EFI with serials removed if anybody can help me out to solve this?

Attachments

• QuinEFI.zip
    39 MB · Views: 101
I did an OpenCore install using @fangf2018's EFI. Install was smooth and and everything works! Thunderbolt works! My Apollo Twin MkII and UAD Satellite Octo connects to it no problem. Using it as system playback device is fine. Plugins load fine. I haven't tested it with Logic yet though. However, it is being detected as a PCI device and not thunderbolt. Also, I checked my system report and under Thunderbolt it says "Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded."
A bunch of devices don't show up either.
How would I fix this?
I'm using 1.6 BIOS at the moment.

FYI, hotplug works for USB-c but not Thunderbolt.
Sleep works well too, and my Thunderbolt devices reconnect upon wake

BTW @fangf2018 Thanks a million!

Edit: even though my Apollo reconnects after waking up from sleep, it disconnected while scanning the UAD plugins after installation. After rebooting, I opened up an old Logic mix project and everything works great! No lag or stutters.

Edit2: I just connected an Akitio Thunder3 Quad mini RAID enclosure and that works too, getting 1GB read/write on blackmagic disk speed test (same performance on my wife’s 2017 MBP Touch)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 4.20.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 4.20.13 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 109
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 4.57.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 4.57.00 AM.png
    221 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
For the ACPI section have only the following - PLUG, AWAC and USBX. That should get rid of the sleep and crash issues. Also Setup the NVRAM using the LogoutHook.command (from the Vanilla guide or Fangs Github page). Make sure the USB ports patch is in place.

I don't have a dual boot setup but OC does apply the patches no matter what the target OS is. You could work around it by booting into Windows from the BIOS directly or I saw someone post a modified version of OC that allows the patches to be only applied if the OS is MAC ('Customized OpenCore with additional features' not in this forum).

Zipped is my latest folder for OC.
Notes
HS14 is disabled as I use a PCI based Wireless card.
UsbKbDxe.efi is removed to use my Apple keyboard to function during OC menu selection.

@mango1122, also having some sleep wake issues due to the wireless card using @fang2018's implementation. To disable HS14, is changing USBPorts.kext the only thing needed?

I tried Fangs implementation and I also had the sleep wake issues. Disabling HS14 did not solve it for me (with his EFI). Then again his config.plist has items I don't understand
  1. My ACPI has only PLUG, AWAC and EC-USBX and no Patch section - GPRW to XPRW and no Name6D-04 to 00).
  2. I also do not have CPUFriend instead depending on Virtual SMC.
  3. My UEFI drivers does not have UsbKbDxe.efi (my apple keyboard works in the opencore boot menu without this)
I would say try 1 and 2 first and also disable HS14 (if you use a PCI Wireless card) - that should solve the issue. #3 is optional.

Thanks! Will try these suggestions. Any idea what the other SSDT's that @fang2018 uses are for (AMPC and GPRW)?

Back