Contribute
Register

[Success] ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX + TB3 + iGPU + Mojave + SFF Build

Sorry to bother you again, I just realized the MoBo audio output is not detected on my build. I don't know if it was the case before as I was using HDMI audio or external sound card. Now that both HDMI audio and USB sound card are disconnected, I see no audio output in macOS prefpan or system info.
However ALC1220 appears in ioreg and hackintool as you can see in the screenshots. Audio output work as expected with Windows 10.
I tried AppleALC 1.3.9 (provided in last Rj510 EFI folder), 1.4.3 (last version) and 1.4.2, each with Lilu 1.3.9, but no more results. I have ResetHDA enabled and layout inject set to 7 (as set in Rj510 config.plist).

I noticed that Hackintools shows layout id as "0" while in ioreg it seems properly detected (<07 00 00 00>).

I've seen no particular error in boot.log.

How could I dig further to troubleshoot this ?
Thanks for your time

EDIT: Tried with Lilu 1.3.8, same error (see bellow). I saw in the log that before last week the "failed to obtain device info for analog controller" was not here... Hard to remember what change I did at this moment...
Code:
Timestamp                       (process)[PID]
2019-11-06 12:10:50.404813+0100  localhost kernel[0]: calling mpo_policy_init for Lilu
2019-11-06 12:10:50.404815+0100  localhost kernel[0]: Security policy loaded: Lilu Kernel Extension 1.3.8 (Lilu)
2019-11-06 12:10:53.198756+0100  localhost kernel[0]: (kernel) AppleALC:     alc @ failed to obtain device info for analog controller (1)

EDIT2: Well the issue *might* has come since I updated BIOS from 4.00 to 4.10. Is there any way a BIOS update change required layout-id ? Or is this layout purely hardware related ?

There are several issues to check out.

First, re-check audio setting in BIOS (I'm still using v1.6, so I don't know if appearance has changed for your version) to make certain it is enabled.

Next, update AppleALC.kext (and Lilu and WEG) to latest versions; verify with Hackintool. And make certain you've not got older versions hiding inside /L/E/ folder––which is why I only recommend storing all kexts to be injected only in EFI/~/Other folder on the boot drive. Any older versions residing inside /L/E/ will over-ride newer versions on the EFI boot drive.

Then, check inside Clover. Disable any Arbitrary settings like this (you can always re-set later once things are working):
Clover_DevAudio.jpg

Finally, you can then test different Audio Inject settings (0, 1, 7, 11, 16 are common for the ALC1220) by using this section of same Clover page (upper right):
Clover_InjAudio.jpg

There are several issues to check out.

First, re-check audio setting in BIOS (I'm still using v1.6, so I don't know if appearance has changed for your version) to make certain it is enabled.

Next, update AppleALC.kext (and Lilu and WEG) to latest versions; verify with Hackintool. And make certain you've not got older versions hiding inside /L/E/ folder––which is why I only recommend storing all kexts to be injected only in EFI/~/Other folder on the boot drive. Any older versions residing inside /L/E/ will over-ride newer versions on the EFI boot drive.

Then, check inside Clover. Disable any Arbitrary settings like this (you can always re-set later once things are working):
View attachment 434705

Finally, you can then test different Audio Inject settings (0, 1, 7, 11, 16 are common for the ALC1220) by using this section of same Clover page (upper right):
View attachment 434706

Thanks for your support.

Basically all BIOS settings are the same (minus a one or two differences I cant remember right now). Regarding the audio issue I tried to set "Onboard HD Audio" to "Enabled" instead of "Auto", but actually I believe this setting is about the internal audio header and not the rear audio output of the MoBo... "Front panel" is set to "HD" and "Onboard HDMI audio to "enabled". I dont see any other setting that might be audio related.

I've already Lilu, WEG and AppleALC to latest version and I always use EFI/~/Other only. I checked /L/E/ just in case but none of these kexts are here. Good.
I disabled arbitrary settings regarding ALC1220 and tried 0, 1, 7, 11 and 16 as layout-id but the problem remains the same (AppleALC: alc @ failed to obtain device info for analog controller (1)).
Regarding AppleALC readme and content I can also try layout 2, 3, 5, 13, 15, 21, 27, 28, 29 and 34, even if layout >=16 seem to be for specific MoBo. I'll give 2, 3, 5, 13 and 15 a try later.

I've seen some people here say they're running BIOS v4.00, but what about 4.10 or above ? Am I the only one ?

EDIT: BIOS settings corrections

Last edited:
Tried layouts 0, 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 15, 16 and "Detect": same result.
Tried the debug releases of Lilu and AppleALC kexts but they dont show more info about what's wrong:
Code:
2019-11-07 09:11:27.406185+0100  localhost kernel[0]: calling mpo_policy_init for Lilu
2019-11-07 09:11:27.406187+0100  localhost kernel[0]: Security policy loaded: Lilu Kernel Extension 1.3.9 DEBUG build (Lilu)
2019-11-07 09:11:30.476280+0100  localhost kernel[0]: (kernel) AppleALC:     alc @ failed to obtain device info for analog controller (1)

Actually I was wrong in a previous post when I said audio worked in Windows, too. Just after updating BIOS from v4.00 to 4.10, I re-installed Windows. (I was hoping to solve the boot problem with CSM disabled but it did not.) I did not realized that this time Windows had troubles to install proper HD Audio drivers and the MoBo audio device was showing a ? in the device manager. I had to fully uninstall audio driver and then Windows eventually found the correct driver. So, now I have working audio on Windows, but still not on macOS.

I provided a full bootlog and EFI folder as I am clueless now... I just took off serial numbers and the Microsoft folder from the EFI. (Yes, during second Windows installation, I did not took of macOS disk, and Windows may have thouight "Hey, there already is an EFI partition on another disk, I'm gonna put my **** here, cool!")

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    18.9 MB · Views: 82
  • bootlog.txt
    27.4 KB · Views: 68
I agree with above: if your BIOS settings are correct and you're using a good cable (they do go bad, as I've found out), then it is most likely not your mobo, and you'll need to test using another device.
Yeah, got a WiFi router and still no signal so the problem was with the service provider. They got it fixed in a day and now everything works like a charm.

Last edited:
If anyone is interested, then I defeated the Wifi module DW1820A in the cnvi slot.

Bluetooth has always worked. There are no problems with him, because It is connected via USB.
But with Wifi there were problems with physical disappearance.
Here is what I did:
Sealed pin 56 on the Wifi module (painted over with nail polish), but it did not help, but clothed the task in the future
In general, if something like this happened to someone, the reason is incorrectly configured injections. Because of this, the wifi card goes crazy and turns off. This is solved by disconnecting the entire PC for one minute.
Later, through trial and error, I found a solution for our mobo.

1. Need latest AirportBrcmFixup.kext
2. For BT need latest BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext and BrcmNonPatchRAM2.kext

Remove all wifi items from arbitrary and add to Properties this code:

Code:
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1c,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
                <string>WLAN</string>
                <key>compatible</key>
                <string>pci14e4,4353</string>
                <key>device_type</key>
                <string>Airport Extreme</string>
                <key>model</key>
                <string>Dell DW1820 (BCM4350) 802.11ac wireless</string>
                <key>name</key>
                <string>Airport</string>
            </dict>

And my boot argument is: darkwake=0 slide=0 keepsyms=1 debug=0x100 -v -ath9565 agdpmod=pikera brcmfx-country=#a -brcmfxbeta -brcmfxwowl

For those who do not want to go my way, attached my efi folder at the bottom of the post. Please change the serial number to your !!!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    34.5 MB · Views: 133
If anyone is interested, then I defeated the Wifi module DW1820A in the cnvi slot.

Bluetooth has always worked. There are no problems with him, because It is connected via USB.
But with Wifi there were problems with physical disappearance.
Here is what I did:
Sealed pin 56 on the Wifi module (painted over with nail polish), but it did not help, but clothed the task in the future
In general, if something like this happened to someone, the reason is incorrectly configured injections. Because of this, the wifi card goes crazy and turns off. This is solved by disconnecting the entire PC for one minute.
Later, through trial and error, I found a solution for our mobo.

1. Need latest AirportBrcmFixup.kext
2. For BT need latest BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext and BrcmNonPatchRAM2.kext

Remove all wifi items from arbitrary and add to Properties this code:

Code:
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1c,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
                <string>WLAN</string>
                <key>compatible</key>
                <string>pci14e4,4353</string>
                <key>device_type</key>
                <string>Airport Extreme</string>
                <key>model</key>
                <string>Dell DW1820 (BCM4350) 802.11ac wireless</string>
                <key>name</key>
                <string>Airport</string>
            </dict>

And my boot argument is: darkwake=0 slide=0 keepsyms=1 debug=0x100 -v -ath9565 agdpmod=pikera brcmfx-country=#a -brcmfxbeta -brcmfxwowl

For those who do not want to go my way, attached my efi folder at the bottom of the post. Please change the serial number to your !!!

Great ! What's the part number of your card (written on the card itself) ? And the reported subsystem id (iORegExplorer) ?
I ordered the card with part number CN-0VW3T3 but received a CN-08PKF4 which is known to be less compatible with laptops. Still hard to find info for desktop PC, even more for our MoBo.
I asked for a refund and bought a BCM94360CS2 with an adapter for 25€, but I'm still considering to try the DW1820A, for science you know.

Great ! What's the part number of your card (written on the card itself) ? And the reported subsystem id (iORegExplorer) ?
I ordered the card with part number CN-0VW3T3 but received a CN-08PKF4 which is known to be less compatible with laptops. Still hard to find info for desktop PC, even more for our MoBo.
I asked for a refund and bought a BCM94360CS2 with an adapter for 25€, but I'm still considering to try the DW1820A, for science you know.

My card number is CN-0VW3T3 from Ideatrust with ID 43A3. After one day of work, Wifi again stopped working for me - there is a PCI in it, but the system is unstable. I suspect that I have a fake adapter.

Excellent post!!! I have a slightly less/older build of a Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 with an Intel i5-9600K (6-core @ 3.7GHz) would this EFI boot my hackintosh do you think? I am having a crash as the apple.com.apfs file which is stressing me out, I've tried a few things but pretty new at this. Any recommendations? Maybe a simple change somewhere in the config perhaps? I can supply more info but just wanted to get some dialogue going first.

TY!! :)

I am considering a 9900KS - which seems requires BIOS 4.20 for this motherboard. Does anyone run this (currently latest) BIOS in their hackintosh? Do the fixes for booting macOS also work with 4.20?

Edit: OK, have read almost the entire thread.. seems there is discussion about this around page 45 :) 4.2 OK, still requires bugfix, there is a boot logo modded bios available, and beware maybe some problems with virtualsmc.

Last edited:
It works just fine, if you loot at the original/first post you will see the author even attached a BIOS file with the modified boot logo.

Back