Contribute
Register

[Success] ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX + TB3 + iGPU + Mojave + SFF Build

I know that @rj510 said that Catalina is off topic and should be handled in its own thread.

For further Catalina discussions I suggest we open a thread for this mobo and @rj510's EFI. Who would be interested?

Last edited:
Quick one here - Sidecar now fully works with OpenCore and Dw1560. I have pasted my EFI in my earlier post whoever is interested to look at.
@fontanero

Asrock z390 Phantom ITX
i9-9900K
UHD 630

Edit: It's not very stable. Sometimes it fails to connect.

Last edited:
Your modified kext here looks OK. You can use as is.

To give you one more option, I changed it slightly to re-include HS01 and HS02. These internal ports (USB2 header) might come in useful at some point and if not activated you might wonder why they don't work. Anyhow, including them still leaves you at 15 ports. This file keeps your front panel deletions, meaning that all rear panel USB ports are active, along with the internal USB2 header.

As for the XHC2, that device is part of Thunderbolt (TB). It does not count against the 15 port limit. If you go into the SSDT for TB, you'll find that it uses XHC2. This can be defined to be something else, like XHC3 or XHC5; just keep both consistent with each other. This definition is also sometimes declared inside the SSDT-UIAC file when using that method.

You are correct in your 3 ways of limiting ports. I've used all of them at one time or another.

I prefer using the USBInjectAll method with the uia_exclude limiter when setting up a new computer, as I can remove a range of ports and see exactly where ports are located. (Some builds, like the X299 mobos, can get confusing, having 2 or 3 USB devices on a rear panel, only one of which is the main USB device that must have the 15 port limit. The others need no limits.)

USR1 and USR2 are kinda dummy ports. But they do get listed. If uia_exclude is used, then they are both easily removed. You can search on this forum for RehabMan's (creator of USBInjectAll and the SSDT-UIAC method) posts about them for more info.

Hackintool is another nice tool to help define your ports.

Thanks for your precision and addition (actually I wanted to add 2 extra internal USB ports and I simply forgot in the process...) !

Now I'm facing two minor problems I think related to this MoBo:
  • I cannot get CPU frequency in HWMonitor, and frequencies shown in Intel Power Gadget are a bit weirdo (using i7-9700 non K, HWMonitorSMC2 with up-to-date VirtualSMC driver and kexts. Every other monitored stat seem fine, including fan speed, disk temp, dGPU...)
  • I was trying to get proper resolution in Clover and during boot process, and I eventually found that disabling SCM should do the trick but I observed the following behaviors
    • Clover revert to default theme and cannot boot to macOS neither Windows when
      • CSM disabled
      • fixed value for iGPU shared memory ((tried with 256 and 512) and/or enabling iGPU Multi-monitor
    • Can boot to Windows and macOS with proper resolution but iGPU is not detected/displayed/working in both macOS and Windows when
      • CSM disabled
      • iGPU share memory set to AUTO and iGPU multi-monitor disabled
    • Can boot in Windows and macOS, iGPU properly appearing and seems to work fine in macOS, but I get ugly/streched resolution during POST, Clover boot selection and early macOS boot when
      • CSM enabled
      • fixd value for iGPU shared memory (256 as advised) and iGPU multi-monitor enabled
I also found that the CSM configuration page in BIOS was maybe the only one Rj510 did not provided in first post. Any reasons for this ?

I have BIOS v4.0 (MoBo came with it), Clover 5097 (recently released) with last up-to-date kexts. Also, Windows disk is UEFI and has a GPT partition.

I have no idea where to dig further in the troubleshooting... Any idea ? I can post more info if needed (EFI, boot log, screenshots...))

I cannot get CPU frequency in HWMonitor, and frequencies shown in Intel Power Gadget are a bit weirdo (using i7-9700 non K, HWMonitorSMC2 with up-to-date VirtualSMC driver and kexts. Every other monitored stat seem fine, including fan speed, disk temp, dGPU...)

Try using FakeSMC to see if you get more CPU info.

Try using FakeSMC to see if you get more CPU info.
I replaced VirtualSMC by FakeSMC (last Rehabman fork from 2018-0915) but CPU frequency still NOT show up in HWMonitor. I get a few other missing values (like global CPU temp - only have for each core), and a few additonnal ones (like MoBo voltage and temp that wasn't showing up at all with VirtualSMC).

I replaced VirtualSMC by FakeSMC (last Rehabman fork from 2018-0915) but CPU frequency still NOT show up in HWMonitor. I get a few other missing values (like global CPU temp - only have for each core), and a few additonnal ones (like MoBo voltage and temp that wasn't showing up at all with VirtualSMC).

There are quite a few forks of FakeSMC. You can try different ones and see which works best with your system.

Thanks for your precision and addition (actually I wanted to add 2 extra internal USB ports and I simply forgot in the process...) !

Now I'm facing two minor problems I think related to this MoBo:
  • I cannot get CPU frequency in HWMonitor, and frequencies shown in Intel Power Gadget are a bit weirdo (using i7-9700 non K, HWMonitorSMC2 with up-to-date VirtualSMC driver and kexts. Every other monitored stat seem fine, including fan speed, disk temp, dGPU...)
  • I was trying to get proper resolution in Clover and during boot process, and I eventually found that disabling SCM should do the trick but I observed the following behaviors
    • Clover revert to default theme and cannot boot to macOS neither Windows when
      • CSM disabled
      • fixed value for iGPU shared memory ((tried with 256 and 512) and/or enabling iGPU Multi-monitor
    • Can boot to Windows and macOS with proper resolution but iGPU is not detected/displayed/working in both macOS and Windows when
      • CSM disabled
      • iGPU share memory set to AUTO and iGPU multi-monitor disabled
    • Can boot in Windows and macOS, iGPU properly appearing and seems to work fine in macOS, but I get ugly/streched resolution during POST, Clover boot selection and early macOS boot when
      • CSM enabled
      • fixd value for iGPU shared memory (256 as advised) and iGPU multi-monitor enabled
I also found that the CSM configuration page in BIOS was maybe the only one Rj510 did not provided in first post. Any reasons for this ?

I have BIOS v4.0 (MoBo came with it), Clover 5097 (recently released) with last up-to-date kexts. Also, Windows disk is UEFI and has a GPT partition.

I have no idea where to dig further in the troubleshooting... Any idea ? I can post more info if needed (EFI, boot log, screenshots...))

CSM is disabled for this build. (I did just now update the BIOS Settings spoiler; thanks for pointing out the oversight.)

I never set up a true dual boot system. I only attached an SSD with Windows when attempting to configure the TB port. But in either macOS or Windows, BIOS settings were not changed. Most of the time, except for trouble shooting graphics cards for this build, I only use iGPU. This is how I now have the mobo set: iGPU only and running Roon (this build is my music server).

There are quite a few forks of FakeSMC. You can try different ones and see which works best with your system.
I tried the different ones available in Lilu & Friends but I got no luck with CPU frequency. The funny thing is that iStat does correctly reports CPU frequencies ! But lacks a few values (GPU and CPU fan rpm - case fan is still shown). Went back to latest VirtualSMC (1.0.8).

CSM is disabled for this build. (I did just now update the BIOS Settings spoiler; thanks for pointing out the oversight.)

I never set up a true dual boot system. I only attached an SSD with Windows when attempting to configure the TB port. But in either MacOS or Windows, BIOS settings were not changed. Most of the time, except for trouble shooting graphics cards for this build, I only use iGPU. This is how I now have the mobo set: iGPU only and running Roon (this build is my music server).
Yes CSM disabled seems to be the most efficient way with modern hardware. But I don't get why disabling it prevents macOS and Windows from using the iGPU in conjunction with a dGPU.

I just figured something that seems weird to me: when idling on macOS, iStat/HWMonitor shows about 95W of power consumption for my RX590 (Sapphire Nitro+, "silent" BIOS with 0dB option), while it's more about 37W in Windows. I can also observer higher temps in macOS when idling/surfing the web (no video) (easily reaches +50°C turning fans on from time to time) while in windows it never exceed 45°C when doing same tasks. In Windows I have Wattman but I do not apply any overclock, all settings are stock. Maybe power consumption is misread by VirtualSMC but temps seem true as fans regularly turn on in macOS while they don't in Windows (unless doing gpu intensive tasks of course). Any idea to sort it out ?
However idle CPU temps are similar (about 35-37°C)

Trying to use your EFI but doesn't work. I missed something...for sure!
ASRock Phantom ITX + i9-9900K + RX 580
Pliz Help :)

Attachments

• config.plist
    22 KB · Views: 74
Back