Contribute
Register

[Success] ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX + TB3 + iGPU + Mojave + SFF Build

Is it possible to make the Thunderbolt port work as a USB 3 Gen 2?

I have it working as USB 3 Gen 1 by disabling TB in the BIOS, and works like a charm, no configuration necessary. I'm basing this off of System Profiler's speeds reporting "5Gb/sec".

As a matter of fact, all of my ports show up as USB 3 Gen 1. I wonder if this could have anything to do with UsbConnector or USB Power values. If anyone has the ports working at 10Gb/sec let me know -- I'm not sure because my devices are only Gen 1 or less, other than a device that I only have a USB-C cable for. Otherwise I have a 2017 MBP I can compare with to see if other values make sense here, but am going to hold off for now while I work on USB ejection after sleep.

If anyone runs into this booting issues where you will see the End RandomSeed and the +++++ line, just try to clear the CMOS, and see if that helps (of course after checking all the aptio memory EFI stuff that's not missing)

I've had this issue on laptops with the stock SSD -- the only solution was upgrading to a known supported SSD. Unfortunately I couldn't get my hands on the older EVO drives so I had to get a Pro drive (the Plus drives are known to have issues supposedly, but I read this awhile ago and don't remember the source).

Last edited:
Otherwise I have a 2017 MBP I can compare with to see if other values make sense here, but am going to hold off for now while I work on USB ejection after sleep.

Some USB ejection after sleep issues are now known to be due to DDR4 speed settings in BIOS.

Try these steps:
1. Turning XMP off in BIOS
2. Reducing DDR4 speeds by 200MHz steps from the rated speed. Reboot and test USB/sleep.

Example: If your DDR4 is rated at 3600MHz, set to 3400MHz, reboot and test USB/sleep. If still a problem, then reduce to 3400MHz and re-test, etc.

Reducing the speed can also improve mouse lag issues.

@rj510! Amazing build man! I've done a couple of high end builds, but this is my first Mini ITX build.
I'm going to wait for the macOS Catalina release before pulling the trigger for the install!

I would think the update to Catalina will work fine on this ASRock build with the same kexts and ACPI files. You should have to do nothing different.

(As a parallel example, I've got my X299 build working on Mojave on one drive and Catalina ß6,7,8 working on a second drive, both using same kexts and ACPI files.)

I probably will not update my ASRock Z390 ITX build to Catalina as it is functioning now only with the iGPU as a Roon Music server under Mojave.

Try these steps:
1. Turning XMP off in BIOS
2. Reducing DDR4 speeds by 200MHz steps from the rated speed. Reboot and test USB/sleep.
Reducing the speed can also improve mouse lag issues.

XMP set to Auto (off according to ASRock), followed by reducing speeds (from 3200Mhz with XMP) all the way down to 2400Mhz has effect on the issue. While I think some boards cause the XMP issue, I don't think the ASRock is one of them.

I also don't have any lag issues on my RAM's full speed (G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200Mhz).

Already tried to lower to 2133, and other values. Unfortunately, it does not help.

Based on this feedback from SergDrakus I haven't tried going down to 2133Mhz yet.

(I just tried the above steps and the USB drive remains mounted after waking from sleep. It also has the proper external icon, as shown in the attached image. I activated sleep with a Hot Corner; see attached. Also, please review Energy Saver settings.)

Are you actually letting your computer go to sleep? I interpreted your sleep settings in the post above as not using S3/S4 sleep but using the screensaver.

The "not ejected" problem is quite common. My guess is it may be caused by the fact that all USB ports on PCs are not setup as "charging ports" (eg. the ports do not keep power across sleep). I only say this because my NUC6i7KYK has one charging port, and that specific port does not exhibit the "not ejected" problem. Eventually, I may find a way to make all ports charging ports...

Based on this I have been injecting different USBX settings and AAPL,current-available / AAPL,current-extra / AAPL,current-extra-in-sleep / AAPL,max-port-current-in-sleep directly onto the XHC controller. Nothing so far but will update if I have any breakthroughs (unlikely since this has been a long-standing issue across a variety of hardware). I won't post status updates here though as that will get off-topic and clutter up the thread.

Based on this feedback from SergDrakus I haven't tried going down to 2133Mhz yet.
I spent many days trying to solve the problem of removing USB drives after getting out of sleep. Unfortunately, nothing helped, including the replacement of RAM with another with a frequency of 2666 MHz. None of this solved the problem.

In the end, I just put up with such a flaw. I advise you to do the same so as not to waste time in vain. Removing a flash drive and reinserting it is 5 seconds, and you can spend a lot of time solving a problem, and it’s not a fact that this will help.

Your USBPorts-z390-ASRock PhGmlT-iMac19,1-V8 is also working for the ASRock Z390 Pro 4 (USB 3.0 and Type-C) *-*
Thank you very much!!

UPDATE: I started my Hackintosh a few hours later and now the USB 3.0 and 3.1 don't work anymore o_O The kext is still in the Other Folder. Do I have to do something else that it works again?

I spent many days trying to solve the problem of removing USB drives after getting out of sleep. Unfortunately, nothing helped, including the replacement of RAM with another with a frequency of 2666 MHz. None of this solved the problem.

In the end, I just put up with such a flaw. I advise you to do the same so as not to waste time in vain. Removing a flash drive and reinserting it is 5 seconds, and you can spend a lot of time solving a problem, and it’s not a fact that this will help.
Try this utility called jettison. https://stclairsoft.com/Jettison/index.html

Unfortunately it doesn't help to solve my problem. Yesterday I downloaded the USBPorts-z390-ASRock PhGmlT-iMac19,1-V8.kext and put it in the EFI>CLOVER>KEXTS>Other. After that the Hackintosh recognised the USB 3.0, 3.1 and Type-C drives. After shutting down the Hackintosh a few hours later it didn't work anymore. Quite strange!

I also removed the Kext and put it back in but that didn't work as well:/

Do I have to do more than to put the Kext in the Other Folder?

Here's my EFI Folder for more information.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    22.3 MB · Views: 90
Back