Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Appletwo's Build: GA-X79S-UP5-WiFi LGA 2011 | Intel i7-3930K | GTX 760 |

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-X79s Up5 WiFi
CPU
i7 3930K 4.4 ghz
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Appletwo's Content Creator Build: GA-X79S-UP5-WiFi Socket LGA 2011 | Intel i7-3930K Sandy Bridge | GeForce GTX 760 Superclocked | Dynamic Overclock 4.5/4.7 ghz | Geekbench: 21613

I was designing my audio workstation for a while,
I have just built a perfect-fit tonymac-ish hardware high specs hackintosh here.

- MOTHER BOARD: Gigabyte X79s UP5 Wifi Lga 2011 mother board (Rev1.0) - BIOS version F4
- CPU: Intel i7 3930K Sandy Bridge
- CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i water cooler
- GRAPHIC CARD: Evga Geforce gtx 760 Superclocked 2gb
- MEMORY: 48gb 6 slots Corsair vengeance 1600 ddr3
- System drive: Corsair force gt ssd drive
- AUDIO LIBRARY DRIVES: 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm, 64mb cache SATA3
- CASE: Corsair Graphite 600T White edition
- FAN: 2 Corsair Quiet edition SP120 (to replace the stock on top of cpu cooler)
- FAN: 4 Corsair Quiet edition AF120 (to be placed in the side mesh panel)
- FAN: 1 Bitfenix Spectre Pro all black 200mm (to replace the stock front white led fan)
- FAN CONTROLLER: 2xScythe Kaze Master with temperature sensors
- POWER UNIT: Corsair RM750 full modular
- KEYBOARD: Apple standard USB Keyboard
- WIFI: Tp-Link TL-WDN4800 N900 Wireless N Dual Band PCI Express Adapter

I've prepared a proper installer for Mavericks from skratches following the tonymac guide and putting everything on a Sandisk 8gb thumb drive:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/374-unibeast-install-os-x-mavericks-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

Right before switching on the Machine I had to set the bootdrive to 0-Corsair SSD (forget the UEFI).

At first I couldn't get to the installer.
I was getting many error messages, like in the following screenshot:

I finally got access to the Mavericks OSX installer after I put the fllowing bootflags:
-v cpus=1 npci=0x3000 UseKernelCache=No GraphicsEnabler=No

Select the language, and everything else, and keep going.

At this point Mavericks takes anywhere between 13 to 20 minutes to be fully installed.

After the installation, I reboot the syset keeping only three bootflags:
-v cpus=1 npci=0x3000
That's because Mavericks has problems to recognize the multicore Sandy Bridge 3930k cpu.
So, putting cpus=1 as booflag will allow Mavericks to be loaded with only one core activated.

In the post-installation procedure I've installed the necessary drives with Multibeast 6.0.1 Mavericks edition:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=206
(following the preset easybeast basic configuration)
putting also the audio drivers, in my case is Realtek ALC898 codec
(check on your board what codec is compatible),
intel ethernet drive, usb support etc.
Do not install the kernel cache kext, otherwise your system won't reboot.
Click on 'build it' and let multibeast do the job for you.
Then do not reboot yet.
Keep in mind you still need to set the proper kext to enable the multicore hyperthreading system.
So: download VoodooTSCSync.kext, Download Link:
Edited VoodooTSCSYNC.zip
(This kext from Dingleberry enables the support for all 6 cores and Hyper-threading mode).
Unzip this file and place it on the desktop.
Use kextbeast to install the Vodoo Kext:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=32
Now go to your hd/extra and put the npci=0x2000 in your boot.plist to enable even the built-in HD audio card
Reboot.

That's it.
Works great!
Download geekbench:
http://www.primatelabs.com/geekbench/

If your clock is set on the standard 3.2 ghz you should get around 15000 on the geekbench score.
After setting the turbo mode in the bios (3.8 ghz) I got an encouraging 18100 on geekbench and a good score on cinebench as well.
The sys runs smooth, stable, fast like hell.
Love it.
View attachment 76426

Now.....
..... what about overclocking?
Here's come the main problem that happends on some of the X79s up5 boards.
Some doesn't allow the overclock.
I had a one day of hell here trying to figure out why my X79s UP5 is not allowing me to set any of the cpu setting (ratio, voltage, whatsoever) from the bios, and everything seems to be stuck on AUTO.
No way.
I had the BIOS version F4. The mob is brand new, as well as the 3930k cpu.
Everything was supposed to be designed for overclocking, so to me that didn't make any sense.
The point is I couldn''t get any of the advanced features of the gigabyte bios.
No 3D bios, no options and only 3.8ghz as maximum clock speed available from my 3930k with turbo mode enabled.
I had no idea.
Then I found out that re-flashing the original F4 bios from Gigabyte made the deal.
If you had the same issue on this X79s UP5 mobo just check what revision your mobo is (mine is 1.0) and find the original bios compatible with the X79S UP5 on gigabythe website:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4287#bios

Download it, unpack the .zip file, put it into a thumb drive, then reboot the system, hit 'CANC' to access the bios and re-flash the original F4 bios using the q-flash utility in the Gigabyte menu.
After that, reboot, hit 'CANC' to enter bios and go to M.I.T. menu, just select the cpu ratio (for instance) and with your usb connected keyboard hit + or - to set the cpu ratio and all the other parameters.
If you have time for an advanced overclock just read:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1189242/...anations-and-support-for-all-x79-overclockers

On my system I put a ratio of 4.7 with a ramped voltage for each cpu
- 4.7 ghz for core 1-2
- 4.6 ghz for core 3-4
- 4.5 ghz for core 5-6
In this way if I'm using an application that only uses two cores (Photoshop for instance) I can get 4.7 ghz of full power.
The cpu then will downscale the clock to 4.5 ghz depending on what kind of load it will be needed.
This prevents an eccessive constant load on the cpu, making my system more stable and durable.
Don't forget to put the global voltage to 1.40v, otherwise your system will be unstable and the cores won't receive enough power.

Reboot.

And now, if you did everything good, you should get the following new infos:
View attachment 76432
Forget the indication that says it's a 4.3 ghz system.
It's not saying the truth and you can tell from the cinebench benchmark info (follwoing).

Compared to the original 3.8 ghz clock, the new score on geekbench was finally, definitely impressing:
View attachment 76428

It runs with temperatures that are absolutely acceptable (in between 30 and 60 degrees celsius under load):
View attachment 76429

And with a stunning cinebench score for real timer open gl FPS/CPU (notice where it says 4.5ghz):
View attachment 76430View attachment 76431

So far, this Hackintosh build is more than beyond I was expecting, it's amazingly fast, quiet, cold and stable.
Hope this helps people to start building their own machine.
Mavericks rocks.

Cheers.

Dear can upload ur multibeast setting picture and boot plist picture for post installation thanks

I'll do something better for you.

Here's my Multibeast preset file:
View attachment Hackintosh H1.mb

And here's my Hackintosh H1 Boot.plist:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
    <string>No</string>
    <key>IGPEnabler</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Kernel</key>
    <string>mach_kernel</string>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>npci=0x2000</string>
    <key>Legacy Logo</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Timeout</key>
    <string>1</string>
        <key>Graphics Mode</key>
        <string>"1920x1080x32"</string>
</dict>
</plist>

After few days of tests I decided to set the clock to 4.6/4.8 ghz due to the low temperatures and the rock-stable system.
I'm beyond happy for this setup.

I noticed an speed bump after the update to OSX 10.9.1 Mavericks.

Now my score on GeekBench is 21769:
GB 10.9.1.jpg
H1 Bench.jpg

Cheers!

Update.
I changed the Memory settings in the BIOS, from auto to EXTREME.
I keep the cpu voltage on 1.425v (0.100 more than the default value).

Here's the result:
NEW BENCH2.jpg

My H1 rocks!
;)

have you tried running pro tools 9 or 10 on it?

No
but I've installed Digital Performer 8.0.5, Apogee DUet 2, and it works perfectly.
Waves suite, bunch of plugins, and no issue at all.
With 70 VI tracks at 44.100/24 the cpu load is 50% with the buffer set to 64.
No way, this is a killer machine.

Is your usb3 works fine coz my one doesnt works any help i got front panel aswell

Everything is working here but the sleep mode.
Including front and rear USB3, ethernet, eSata (great update for older drives, now twice as fast as firewire) and front/rear firewire 400.
Remember, is the GA X79s UP5 we're talking about here, with the multibeast set in the way I posted before.

dear when i done installation my processor was 3.8 ghz but i didnt installed nullcpumanagemnet kest but when i installed it processor came to 3.2 but with 3.8 speed was lovely can i keep 3.8 ghz some how i m using f3 bois i dono wana go more than that can u help me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back