Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

Ah! It was an eGPU! That explains the unusual number of bridges and the error message: The external enclosure is not yet initialised when ACPI tables are loaded.

You've found the solution to a problem which had escaped us so far.
Which SSDT is working? My half-desperate SSDT-BRG? The one from SSDTTime? Both?
The correct SSDT was the SSDTTime-generated one, which didn't end up defining TRP0, but instead just passed a series of bridges from PCI0 to GFX0. All I needed to do next was to add some basic properties under DeviceProperties and change the SMBIOS to MacPro7,1.

What would be really neat now is to understand what are the changes between MBP16,x and MP7,1 to be able to retroactively apply them to the laptop SMBIOS profile.

The automatically generated SSDT does define bridge TRP0 at address 0x7. It just calls it "BRG0", but ACPI names are essentially arbitrary: Anything goes as long as there is no collision.

Update: So I've successfully managed to use one laptop's SMBIOS profile (MBP16,2) and power the 6650XT correctly. The other laptop (MBP16,4) has not been able to drive the Radeon with the original SMBIOS profile and only the MacPro7,1 profile has worked. Before I commit everything to github (and publish the final configuration), I'll try and compare the two configurations in some scientific way, just in case I'm missing something trivial that can easily be fixed...

The MBP 16,2 SMBIOS working better than the MBP 16,4 SMBIOS is a bit strange.

The MBP 16,2 has an Iris Plus IGPU. The 16,4 MBP uses a UHD 630 IGPU and a Radeon Pro 5600M dGPU. So I would expect the MBP 16,4 to work better than the MBP 16,2 IGPU only system, even with a newer RX6000 series dGPU.

That's what I thought too - MBP16,4 would have been the more stable profile. Go figure :)

A final change in the ACPI script - had to insert a status function to ensure this mapping worked only under macOS as it was disconnecting under Windows and Linux.

Attachments

• SSDT-BRG.aml
    183 bytes · Views: 55
How are you connecting the display to the GPU?
  • DP to DP, HDMI to HDMI?
  • Are you using any adapters or adapter cables?

Do you have the agdpmod=pikera boot argument in your config.plist?

Have you tried agdpmod=ignore boot argument in place of the pikera argument?
What does the ignore do?

I'm one of the unlucky guys who got a RX 6700 XT, which is not supported by macOS. I dual boot Windows (for gaming) and macOS (for work). Thus, I also bought a secondary GPU just for macOS a RX 560. Back then (in March 2021), it was the only option. Now with the introduction of the 7900 XT in Germany, the GPU prices are significantly dropping:

RX 6600 XT: 265€
RX 6800 XT: 600€
RX 6900 XT: 690€
Bought a RX 6900 XT for 630€, added agdpmod=pikera, works like charm.

After months reading opinions, I finally took the plunge and bought an Asrock RX6600 (the cheapest card I could find these days). It arrived this morning, and I spent the day playing with it under both Win7 and OSX.

For the record, the transition from my previous card was not as flawless as depicted. :sick:
To make it work under Monterrey 12.6 I had to make all these changes to my boot.plist:
  • - add "agdpmod=pikera"

• - remove "-v"

• - change
AppleDebug = False​
ApplePanic = False​
DisableWatchDog = True​
Target = 0​
The removal of the "verbose" boot mode is particularly inconvenient to my liking, but I had no choice. It was booting to a black screen without it. :banghead:
Like many others, I was initiially shocked because the fans simply don't even spin during office desktop usage in Win7. So it's a semi-fanless card ! :D
Tomorrow I will try the recommended "RadeonSensor" app.

My mobo: Asus Z97M-plus (Haswell).

Last edited:
After months reading opinions, I finally took the plunge and bought an Asrock RX6600 (the cheapest card I could find these days). It arrived this morning, and I spent the day playing with it under both Win7 and OSX.

For the record, the transition from my previous card was not as flawless as depicted. :sick:
To make it work under Monterrey 12.6 I had to make all these changes to my boot.plist:
  • - add "agdpmod=pikera"

• - remove "-v"

• - change
AppleDebug = False​
ApplePanic = False​
DisableWatchDog = True​
Target = 0​
The removal of the "verbose" boot mode is particularly inconvenient to my liking, but I had no choice. It was booting to a black screen without it. :banghead:
Like many others, I was initiially shocked because the fans simply don't even spin during office desktop usage in Win7. So it's a semi-fanless card ! :D
Tomorrow I will try the recommended "RadeonSensor" app.

My mobo: Asus Z97M-plus (Haswell).

I agree with you 100% when I just remove "-v" from boot-arg I never get black screen again. (Nobody believe that)
My specs:
Msi z390 edge, i7-8700k, Rx6600, Fenvi T919, Macpro7.1 without WEG kext.

Last edited:
Back