Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

I was able to also fix the path using a simpler method w/ WhateverGreen injection in config.plist, but I didn't realize this was working before since the system instantly restarts when I spoof the id. If I use an invalid id I can login and see the path in ioreg. Taken me a few days of troubleshooting to get to this point, but I don't know what to do next short of buying a non-XTXH GPU.

Attachments

• SSDT-BRG0.aml
    137 bytes · Views: 30
  • Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 9.08.40 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 9.08.40 PM.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 27
@vrjim
Most users can use a XTXH card with the settings that you are using. I don’t know why you can’t.

The reason is that the X299 is not a desktop motherboard, so it doesn’t share the same device paths as most other systems.

Using gfxutil or Hackintool should enable you to obtain the correct path for the GPU.

From what I can tell I have the correct path from gfxutil (after making the SSDT changes). When I look in ioreg it seems to confirm I have it right (see previous screenshots). But when the login tries to load the system restarts.

Hi guys,

I recently purchased an ASUS DUAL AMD Radeon RX 6600 card.

It is well recognized in Macos Ventura, and works, except for the parasitic noises called "Coil Whine" emitted by the card.
For the moment I have this phenomenon only with safari or chrome. When I launch a web page, and I scroll, my RX 6600 emits crackling (coil whine).

Have any of you ever encountered this problem?

I wonder if it's not a problem with the management of consumption between power supply and gpu
On some forums, there is talk of an incompatibility with the power supply?

I wonder if this coil whine can't be avoided with proper settings in config.plist?

I would like to know if people here are affected by this phenomenon, or not?

Thank you for your answers

View attachment 562171
Hi brother, it's possible that ROM configuration its not properly to use in MacOS. Using RX 6900 XT the card not make any sound, smooth and silence. Especially because that gpu have switch BIOS, to silence. But in any mode not make noise. I change my older gpu RX 64 Vega...be retired !! kkkk

From what I can tell I have the correct path from gfxutil (after making the SSDT changes). When I look in ioreg it seems to confirm I have it right (see previous screenshots). But when the login tries to load the system restarts.
ACPI Path - \SB.PC01.BR1A.SL01.PBR0.GFX0 is what I see in the IOReg screenshot. Is that what you are using?

Your SSDT-BRG0.aml table seems to be using a different ACPI path.

It seems to be using - \SB.PC01.BR1A.SL01.BRG0.GFX0

I think the screenshot you are referring to is for a different AML (I've attached different screenshots and AMLs to different posts). Yes just to confirm the IOReg and AML match.

I think I'm going to return it and see if I can find a non-variant card for a reasonable price. But for some reason the XTXH cards are like $300+ cheaper despite being better performers.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 4.16.19 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 4.16.19 PM.png
    99.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Me too, if it was a setup issue others would have encountered this issue. The fact no one else using the same series GPU is talking about coil whine is telling.

Hi guys,

Thank you for your reviews and feedback.
I have since returned the board, and this time ordered a brand new RX 6600 which I received and tested today. On this model I have no whistling or coil whine. We hear slight noises when I'm on safari, but nothing bad. You were right, it was a card issue.

I did some tests with Geekbench 5, and with Metal I'm at 78000, and 58000 with Open CL.

But I still have my login screen which goes black for a few seconds, and recovers the normal display. What do you think this phenomenon is due to?

thank you to all of you

@aka80
GB 5 scores are ok.
On my hack, I see the OC picker >> the Apple logo and the progress bar >> at around 30% of progress bar the screen goes black >> after 4-6" I see the Desktop. Are you talking about this black screen?

Back