Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

Following the posts/instructions here I've created an SSDT patch for GFX#0. I have confirmed that the patch is working by injecting a dummy device-id2.

I've added agdpmod=pikera to my boot args.

Whenever booting in verbose mode the system hangs at IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm0x0.

Any advice on how to diagnose?

Edit: WhateverGreen sees the overridden device id as well. Attaching the debug logs on verbose boot.

Never figured out why the RX6650XT wasn't working. I grabbed this card due to it's compatibility with Mac just to easily run 3 monitors while working within XCode. Instead of dealing with SSDTs, Config.plist updates, and kexts I took at shot at flashing my 6650XT with a 6600XT firmware since these devices are very similar. I do not care about any performance loss by doing so. The flash went well and now the card is working oob after removing all of the aforementioned modifications. Hoping that this card will last until I am forced to pickup apple silicon hardware. Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• wglogs.png
    wglogs.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
hey, i have the same problem. i have msi rx6800xt gaming trio with lg ultra wide monitor. when boot i get oc picker and i get verbose for a while. then monitor go to no signal until the login screen. i tried everything you mentioned also hdmi. still no difference. i used Radeon vii which doesn't had this problem. also i noticed when update mac os with this gpu no signal until the fully install and boot.
Any news on this issue?

I'm suffering from hanging on this stage (can't access it with either remote or ssh) and missing apple progress bar screen when daily booting my Hack inconsistently. (around 30% time it fails) Eventually, I had to push reset button for a restart and try again, at the most time it gracefully entered login screen with only 5 seconds of black screen after verbos.

I believe this stage is called the second stage boot according to this post. I successfully inject "AAPL,boot-display" via deviceproperties section of config.plist to the first ATY,RadeonFramebuffer of my MSI RX6600XT MECH 2X OC, but the result is without any difference.

Another issue is a minute and 20-sec long boot delay in recovery. It happens before the 2nd boot stage similar to normal OS boots, But apple progress bar did appear this time and its been cut short (without finishing the hall bar, compared to GTX760 installed did with Ventura 13.0.1)

Here are the methods I studied.
1. understanding the mechanism of Custom framebuffer patching technics
but all of them only apply on Polaris before

2. study vBIOS and port definition within and ATY,bin_image injection with SSDT
thanks to TheBloke and byteminer inspiration I was able to separate a 43kB wise of section before GPO, but yield nothing.

Finally, I find properties of NAVI framebuffers aren't tied to a specific port of card (like iGPU or older GPUs) anymore, as I replug all of my monitors in OS around ports the attachment of "apple display" prioritize lower No. of Framebuffe and adjust its "connector-type" and "av-signal-type" in Ioreg.

Hope SB can shed some light on this issue, and push on solving it together.

Last edited:
I had the same problem of black screen with a rx 6600 sapphire pulse even using agdpmod=pikera on bootargs. Solved doing this after a lot of research on forums:

Remove boot-args -v debug=0x100 keepsyms=1
Set these settings in Misc > Debug
AppleDebug = False
ApplePanic = False
DisableWatchDog = True
Target = 0

Last edited:
Same happen to me with a RX6600. I asked on another forum and Discord, and the most precise answer I got was "it's weg doing its thing". Someone suggested to disable weg, since RX6600 is fully natively supported. But disabling web resulted in black screen after boot.

The mystery stays unsolved I guess.
I had the same problem of black screen with a rx 6600 sapphire pulse. Solved doing this after a lot of research on forums:

AppleDebug = False
ApplePanic = False
DisableWatchDog = True
Target = 0

AppleDebug = False
ApplePanic = False
DisableWatchDog = True
Target = 0
Thanks for trying to help.

I just tried those settings, and the issue remains.

Might this have something to do with the USB mapping?

(I haven't done that yet. I just use USBInjectAll. I know, I must do the mapping, specially for Monterey and using MacPro7,1 SMBIOS)

(I haven't done that yet. I just use USBInjectAll. I know, I must do the mapping, specially for Monterey and using MacPro7,1 SMBIOS)

You are welcome. I almost got crazy to make the rx6600 work on my system. I found that solution and it just worked. I already had usb mapped and indeed I agree you should do the mapping too. Good luck.

You are welcome. I almost got crazy to make the rx6600 work on my system. I found that solution and it just worked. I already had usb mapped and indeed I agree you should do the mapping too. Good luck.
Just to be clear. The card fully works for me. The issue is cosmetic, sort of speak.
At a point during the boot process it stays like 30 seconds (haven't clocked it) giving no video signal to any hdmi nor display port. Then login screen appears out of the blue.
I can live with it. Just found this post and made me want to try to correct it.

Just to be clear. The card fully works for me. The issue is cosmetic, sort of speak.
At a point during the boot process it stays like 30 seconds (haven't clocked it) giving no video signal to any hdmi nor display port. Then login screen appears out of the blue.
I can live with it. Just found this post and made me want to try to correct it.
This happens to me too with MSI Mech RX6600 XT, except luckily my macOS boot takes about 15 seconds and the no-signal time lasts about 5. I see the boot progress bar up to about 1/5th then screen goes no-video, then either the last 1/10th of the boot progress or the desktop appears, depending on how many apps are relaunched at startup. I've kept an eye on the foruns about this for 6 mos but never caught sight of any skinny on why or how to correct.

Hello, owners of amd 6000 series video cards (I have 6600xt red devil oc). Help me figure it out.I see a video memory leak in the monitoring. Almost nothing remains out of ~8 gigabytes, while there is no special load (browser, system folders).The screenshot shows that 772.37mb is used and only 78.27mb is free. What is going on?Do you have the same?Please analyze how you are doing

Attachments

• Снимок экрана 2022-12-11 в 12.05.05.png
    Снимок экрана 2022-12-11 в 12.05.05.png
    274.3 KB · Views: 46
Back