Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

Thanks for those advice!! will try
For replacement, I am considering it. but i am wondering if there's successful case from anyone who also owns 6600 xt :)
I usually see posts about successful cases of 6600 xt with hardware acceleration and sleep working, but seems there's not much sharing some outcome for hibernation. i know hibernation is usually not recommended one to enable on hackintosh by hackintosh tutorial sites asking to set `pmset hibernatemode 0` without reason
Probably it's not that much a necessary in terms of a desktop pc/mac
it probably is the last thing for most of the development team who work on things like this like opencore but there are some sites that report hibernation to work ..just with very specific hardware model combinations. I don't think it's a widespread thing

Sorry for bump but I have to wonder, is anyone else noticing on Ventura that fan curve is different and gpu is hotter?

My 6900XT never ever ran over 90C before even under full load, and at idle it usually sat around 40C (it never fully idled due to somewhat broken power management)....Now it's idling at 50C, the fans don't even turn on til almost 80C and even at 96C the fans STILL aren't at full blast. I even got card to 106C and it thermal throttled hard and fans still never went full blast. All starting with macOS 13.

ALso sucks that still have to spoof base 6900XT because my card is the revised 6900XT. I just wonder what drivers changed in mac OS 13 to make fan curve so bad. Seems very apple thing to do though.

I have new version Power Color rx6900xt ID 73AF. After using your file, it started working properly. In addition to your SSDT-Z490-GPU-SPOOF.AML file, do you need to add something else?

I just installed macOS Ventura on OC 0.8.5 and now I'm back to not having my Radeon RX 6900 XT being recognised, getting inverted/laggy OS + wrong card labeling in system info. I've dug through this thread for answers but no luck so far. I also have ID 73af and IGPU on my Designare Z390 is set to Enabled in BIOS F9i, which it was when it all worked in Monterey.

As far as I can remember I fixed it last time with this:
Are you using WhateverGreen 1.5.2 or newer? If so, try the following:
  • Uncheckboth of these kexts:
    • FakePCIID.kext
    • FakePCIID_RX6000_Graphics.kext
  • Add/use the attached SSDT:
    • SSDT-Z490-GPU-SPOOF.aml
  • This SSDT will work for any system whose base PCI path of the GPU is:
    • _SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP
With WhateverGreen 1.5.2 and newer, it should be possible to just spoof the device-id, which the SSDT attempts to do.

But it's not doing the trick anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• GFX_card_system_info.png
    GFX_card_system_info.png
    123.2 KB · Views: 77
  • config.plist
    35.1 KB · Views: 39
I just installed macOS Ventura on OC 0.8.5 and now I'm back to not having my Radeon RX 6900 XT being recognised, getting inverted/laggy OS + wrong card labeling in system info. I've dug through this thread for answers but no luck so far. I also have ID 73af and IGPU on my Designare Z390 is set to Enabled in BIOS F9i, which it was when it all worked in Monterey.

looks like the device properties device id not been spoofed from 73af to 73bf try your config again I changed the device id to 73bf

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    5.6 KB · Views: 50

I just looked at the config.plist you posted, and there's no SSDT-Z490-GPU-SPOOF.aml:
Screenshot 2022-10-29 at 11.04.52 AM.png

Were you using this SSDT with Monterey?

I just looked at the config.plist you posted, and there's no SSDT-Z490-GPU-SPOOF.aml:
View attachment 557287
Were you using this SSDT with Monterey?

Hah, wth. I'm sure I tried with it enabled on my initial tries and then it didn't work. Now it suddenly did! Well, thanks for that! I seem to be up and running again! :thumbup:

Just upgraded my Vega64 to 6800XT and here are some experiences I would like to share.

*SMBIOS and Final Cut rendering
My CPU is 10900K so naturally iMac20,2 SMBIOS should be the best choice. But after config my iGPU to headless, the system works but FCP stutters here and there and rendering time is bad, super bad, like 3 times slower than my M1 Pro MacBook. Something must be wrong.

*igfxrpsc=1 boot flag
Turns out, due to macOS's strange design, the iGPU inside a Hackintosh would work just at 0.35Ghz most of the time, adding this flag solves the issue. Some said igfxfw=2 works too, you can try either one just remember don't use them at the same time. With iGPU working at full speed, the rendering time cut down significantly yet it still takes 50% more time to render the same footage compared to M1 Pro. Way to go.

*Final optimize
By checking the task manager, usage on 6800XT is still very low at 10~15%. I've heard some people saying that macOS treat non Pro Radeon as external GPU in iMac SMBIOS. This issue can be solved by switching to MacPro or iMacPro and finally cut the render time to 35% faster than M1 Pro. But again, this means I will lose iGPU decoding for daily video viewing and create unnecessary load for CPU. After some research, injecting framebuffer in OpenCore device section solves the issue. For my MSI 6800XT Gaming Trio, ATY,Carswell works the best. GPU load when rendering is at 40~60% full time matches the speed as MacPro SMBIOS and I don't lose any feature provided by iGPU. Finally I can unleash full power if this beast without giving up any feature:)

**Side note
If all optimizations are applied and rendering is still slow, maybe it's the issue inside GPU hardware path.
Adding SSDT-BRG0.aml injection on top of them should do the job.

Last edited:
Back