Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

Glad to hear it! No other changes are necessary.

Incidentally, someone just pointed me to this kext, which I haven’t tried myself, but it looks interesting in case you’d like to monitor GPU temp.
I'm using RadeonSensor with 6600xt and it works just like you'd hope

Which AMD graphics card will be needed for running ventura out of the box ? Is it still the AMD RX 580/570 series or AMD 6600/6800/6900 along with their XT versions ?

Which AMD graphics card will be needed for running ventura out of the box ? Is it still the AMD RX 580/570 series or AMD 6600/6800/6900 along with their XT versions ?
Yes

With the release of Ventura will be implementing a new Metal graphics process, Metal 3.

The RX400/500 series of dGPU's only work with Metal 2.
The RX Vega 56/64, RX 5000 and RX 6000 series dGPU's all work with Metal 3.

So if you are looking for a discrete GPU that works best with Ventura the RX Vega or newer would be needed.

From the Metal (API) article on Wikipedia:

"Metal 3 introduces MetalFX upscaling framework which renders complex scenes in less time per frame with high-performance upscaling and anti-aliasing."

For anyone gaming in Ventura or working in 3D, it's best to use a Metal 3 compatible GPU.

Metal 2 GPUs will still work, Metal 3 support is good to have but isn't a requirement for Ventura. RX 400/500 series cards work with no issues. They just lack MetalFX upscaling. I've used a Radeon Pro WX-2100 and an RX 570 with no problems to report. Even UHD630 graphics have Metal 3 support so there are many options for Ventura.

Last edited:
I've used a Radeon Pro WX-2100 and an RX 570 with no problems to report.
WX 2100 is Lexa and should NOT work. Is this a typo?
WX 4100 and higher are known to work.

WX 2100 is Lexa and should NOT work. Is this a typo?
All it needs is a simple Device-ID spoof to a Baffin GPU to make it work. Even with Ventura.

Screen Shot 16.jpg

1663605775380.png

Last edited:
From the Metal (API) article on Wikipedia:

"Metal 3 introduces MetalFX upscaling framework which renders complex scenes in less time per frame with high-performance upscaling and anti-aliasing."

For anyone gaming in Ventura or working in 3D, it's best to use a Metal 3 compatible GPU.

Metal 2 GPUs will still work, Metal 3 support is good to have but isn't a requirement for Ventura. RX 400/500 series cards work with no issues. They just lack MetalFX upscaling. I've used a Radeon Pro WX-2100 and an RX 570 with no problems to report. Even UHD630 graphics have Metal 3 support so there are many options for Ventura.
I am building a purchase list for a new hackintosh and from reading many posts here shall I purchase a AMD 6600 XT or Vega 56/64 (from which specific manufacturer) ?

I am building a purchase list for a new hackintosh and from reading many posts here shall I purchase a AMD 6600 XT or Vega 56/64 (from which specific manufacturer) ?
Sapphire is the consensus best choice in this community. Next would probably be Gigabyte or MSI. Most name brands should work without problems. Just avoid unknown brands from China that have mediocre cooling setups.

Sapphire is the consensus best choice in this community. Next would probably be Gigabyte or MSI. Most name brands should work without problems. Just avoid unknown brands from China that have mediocre cooling setups.
I see, is there a recommendation as to which model of RX 5000/6000/Vega is highly recommended for future versions of mac os for longevity ? I am looking for between 5-7 years of longevity

Back