Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

Hello guys, just found this thread. I'm considering swapping 6800 XT for 6950 XT to get better gaming experience with Windows side still maintaining macOS compatibility. Probably no RDNA 3 future cards support for macOS, don't you think? Is it reasonable to think of spoofing 6900 XT on a 6950 XT as it seems you accomplished this already?

Probably no RDNA 3 future cards support for macOS, don't you think?
May be with the Mac Pro 2019 in 2023/24. if not, it will be a shame from apple to their MacPro 2019 Clients. but I won't be surprised:crazy:

Hello guys, just found this thread. I'm considering swapping 6800 XT for 6950 XT to get better gaming experience with Windows side still maintaining macOS compatibility. Probably no RDNA 3 future cards support for macOS, don't you think? Is it reasonable to think of spoofing 6900 XT on a 6950 XT as it seems you accomplished this already?
I don't know what your you would use it for but keep in mind that Redshift 3D is not working for me neither is World Creator, as it detects my GPU as AMD Radeon HD GFX10 Family Unknown Prototype and 128MB only. Blender works fine though, but I guess Apple will support this GPU I am not so sure about RDNA3.

The performance gains are really little for gaming. I don’t recommend swapping as 6950 XT may consume much time but with little benefits.

I don't know what your you would use it for but keep in mind that Redshift 3D is not working for me neither is World Creator, as it detects my GPU as AMD Radeon HD GFX10 Family Unknown Prototype and 128MB only.
Do you have the same result when you add additional device properties?
Code:
<dict>
    <key>DeviceProperties</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Add</key>
        <dict>
            <key>PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x3,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>@0,name</key>
                <string>ATY,Carswell</string>
                <key>@1,name</key>
                <key>@2,name</key>
                <key>@3,name</key>
                <key>ATY,EFIVersion</key>
                <data>AQABJw==</data>
                <key>device_type</key>
                <string>ATY,CarswellParent</string>
                <key>model</key>
                <string>AMD Radeon PRO W6900X</string>
                <key>name</key>
                <data>CgDKAAAA</data>
            </dict>
        </dict>
    </dict>
</dict>

I guess in this sample the device-id spoof (BF730000) is missing. And the path need an adjustment.

I am not so sure that would work I had to use zirkaiva's SSDT I could not boot with the device-id spoof settings. So for now I shall just wait and cross fingers for Apple to update AMD kext and include this series because I am in a 3D project and have little time for testing as this is my main machine. In Blender 3.1.2 it works fine, it takes 2X time to render than in windows but that's because Cycles is not optimized for Metal yet.

Are you using WhateverGreen 1.5.2 or newer? If so, try the following:
  • Add/use the attached SSDT:
    • SSDT-Z490-GPU-SPOOF.aml
  • This SSDT will work for any system whose base PCI path of the GPU is:
    • _SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP
With WhateverGreen 1.5.2 and newer, it should be possible to just spoof the device-id, which the SSDT attempts to do.
I have new version Power Color rx6900xt ID 73AF. After using your file, it started working properly. In addition to your SSDT-Z490-GPU-SPOOF.AML file, do you need to add something else?

I have new version Power Color rx6900xt ID 73AF. After using your file, it started working properly. In addition to your SSDT-Z490-GPU-SPOOF.AML file, do you need to add something else?
Glad to hear it! No other changes are necessary.

Incidentally, someone just pointed me to this kext, which I haven’t tried myself, but it looks interesting in case you’d like to monitor GPU temp.

Glad to hear it! No other changes are necessary.

Incidentally, someone just pointed me to this kext, which I haven’t tried myself, but it looks interesting in case you’d like to monitor GPU temp.
Thanks. Your solutions, as usual, reliable.

Are we arranging for 13900K tests?

Are we arranging for 13900K tests?
Isn't it somewhat early? Raptor Lake is not even officially announced, much less released and available at retail.

You're much welcome to initiate a new thread for Raptor Lake, but while the Z690 thread was very hot and fruitful last fall I expect the new thread to be much more sedate. Alder Lake was a significant platform change. SSDT-PLUG-ALT/SSDT-CPUR-Z690 are already written for 64 threads, which is the maximum supported by macOS, and it took less than a month for the Acidanthera team to come up with the right quirk for the hybrid architecture.
Basically, I expect Raptor Lake to be a drop-in upgrade for 600-series motherboards.
700-series might bring in some changes, as was the case between 400 and 500 series, but there's not much more to loose.

Back