Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

Hi All,

I finally managed to get the 11.4 installed so i could get my 6800 XT running.

But here is the issue. I have it connected to my LG CX OLED with a hdmi 2.1.

I can't get 4k/120hz/ycbcr444/10 bit.

I can only do 4k/30hz/ycbcr444/10bit.

I have tried to add custom resolution using switresx, but no go.

Does anyone have any idea, how i can get 4k/120hz/ycbcr444/10bit on big sur using any utility or hack.

After all this waiting and i could have gotten 4k/30hz with my 5700. Huge disappointment & frustration to say the least.
Hi @traderdude123 , do you have a workable solution for achieving 4k 120hz via 6800 xt under macOS? Thanks!

Hi all! I tried to enable my Asus TUF RX 6900 XT (73AF) card by method with based ssdt BRG0 and fake id in device properties, but it's not work for me. somebody can help me with this?

Attachments

• iMac.zip
    872.4 KB · Views: 94
Hi all! I tried to enable my Asus TUF RX 6900 XT (73AF) card by method with based ssdt BRG0 and fake id in device properties, but it's not work for me. somebody can help me with this?
add here confirmation. plist

With that in mind, did they do any more device ID additions?
Unfortunately no new device IDs were added. If new device IDs are added, they'll be added to the next minor release, 12.2. In other words, the contents of 12.1 are generally frozen. The incremental beta builds are for finding and fixing bugs and reliability issues.

SUCCESS: My Sapphire RX 6900XT Toxic Extreme Edition (Device ID 0x73AF) now works !!!!!!

I would like to thank the CaseySJ for providing the files needed to get my video card working.
These files and explanations are located at:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-radeon-rx-6800-xt-big-sur.306736/post-2244068
and
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-radeon-rx-6800-xt-big-sur.306736/post-2244286
Also FakePCIID.kext is needed.

My EFI is attached.

Before EFI Changes:

View attachment 521904

View attachment 521906
My System: Using gfxutil:
03:00.0 1002:73af /PCI0@0/D0A0@1,1/D0A7@0/pci-bridge@0/GFX0@0 = PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

I modified \ACPI\SSDT-Change-GPU-Device-ID.dsl to match my system and compiled with MaciASL.app to create SSDT-Change-GPU-Device-ID.aml. (This was to fake out the PCI-Bridge).

I used \Kexts\FakePCIID.kext & \Kexts\FakePCIID_RX6000_Graphics.kext with no changes.

After EFI changes:

View attachment 521908

View attachment 521909
IORegistryExplorer.app

View attachment 521910

I have the same GPU and I can't make it work right now. I tried reading and probing all the advices you posted here all and I'm missing something. If someone can help I will really appreciate it.
For what I can say right now im being unable to save the compiled aml from Maciasl, it shows me that the compilation goes well without errors but don't let me save the aml.
Captura de pantalla 2021-11-30 a las 23.24.12.png
Thank you so much.

Last edited:

I have the same GPU and I can't make it work right now. I tried reading and probing all the advices you posted here all and I'm missing something. If someone can help I will really appreciate it.
For what I can say right now im being unable to save the compiled aml from Maciasl, it shows me that the compilation goes well without errors but don't let me save the aml.
View attachment 535936Thank you so much.
Are you using WhateverGreen 1.5.2 or newer? If so, try the following:
  • Uncheck both of these kexts:
    • FakePCIID.kext
    • FakePCIID_RX6000_Graphics.kext
  • Add/use the attached SSDT:
    • SSDT-Z490-GPU-SPOOF.aml
  • This SSDT will work for any system whose base PCI path of the GPU is:
    • _SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP
With WhateverGreen 1.5.2 and newer, it should be possible to just spoof the device-id, which the SSDT attempts to do.

Attachments

215 bytes · Views: 151
Last edited:
Are you using WhateverGreen 1.5.2 or newer? If so, try the following:
  • Uncheckboth of these kexts:
    • FakePCIID.kext
    • FakePCIID_RX6000_Graphics.kext
  • Add/use the attached SSDT:
  • This SSDT will work for any system whose base PCI path of the GPU is:
    • _SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP
With WhateverGreen 1.5.2 and newer, it should be possible to just spoof the device-id, which the SSDT attempts to do.
THANK YOU SO MUCH.
I was near to the solution and now i see where my fail was, so thank you again.
Now it's working (But also expecting for the official release of the 73AF support)
One more time.. Thank you :clap::clap:

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2021-12-01 a las 10.30.06.png
    Captura de pantalla 2021-12-01 a las 10.30.06.png
    56.5 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
THANK YOU SO MUCH.
I was near to the solution and now i see where my fail was, so thank you again.
Now it's working (But also expecting for the official release of the 73AF support)
One more time.. Thank you :clap::clap:
I feel like it's doubtful they will add official 73AF at this point. they've been told about it by even devs like blizzard and it goes in one ear out other. they literally added 6600 and still won't finish 6900 support. They pretty much only care about supporting the last intel mac pro options, not egpu options. The spoof works but has caveats. It would have been nice to do something less hacky but at least solution works until hack is eventually retired for M2 or whatever beast desktop ends up being good enough to phase rest of us out of hackintoshing. My m1 max MBP already runs circles around my hack, even my 6900XT in some cases when the gpu operations are choked down by lagging intel and bus performance (where the SoC design shines since it doesnt have to wait on memory or cpu for literally anything)

My m1 max MBP already runs circles around my hack, even my 6900XT in some cases when the gpu operations are choked down by lagging intel and bus performance (where the SoC design shines since it doesnt have to wait on memory or cpu for literally anything)

But I bet you can't play Doom Eternal on it!

The best thing about my Hack is having the optionality. At this point, I'm willing to trade off dwindling benchmarks for the ability to swap out components, add storage and dual boot. I know eventually I will be going to AppleSi, but I'm hoping that's not for another 5 years. At that point, I will probably have the Mac for real work and my rig for play.

But I bet you can't play Doom Eternal on it!

The best thing about my Hack is having the optionality. At this point, I'm willing to trade off dwindling benchmarks for the ability to swap out components, add storage and dual boot. I know eventually I will be going to AppleSi, but I'm hoping that's not for another 5 years. At that point, I will probably have the Mac for real work and my rig for play.

I bet it will work for those who have Xbox Cloud.

Back