Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

How is the USB-C port treated in Mac OS? (for 6800XT/6900XT) Is it a fully functional port counting toward the port limit?
As of now (11.5 beta) it just works for displayport output, doesn’t seem to work with usb data. Seems Apple is using a different class for the enablement of this port compared to the code used for the XHC bus on the Intel PCH. Seems that Apple still has some code to add.

Good news! Crypto currencies continue to decline in value, reducing demand for GPUs. To wit, every 6 series card listed at Newegg is available. Now all we need are some price drops back to earth.
Uh, everything is still out of stock. And Newegg now forces bundles on buyers (GPU + CPU + Mobo, etc). They know they can make even more money this way.

I can report I've finally managed to boot into 11.4 solely with my Gigabyte RX6800 card on the B550 Vision D. I had used iMacPro1,1 with agdpmod=pikera to boot in and it had to be on the 2nd HDMI slot. One very strange thing I discovered is that the card takes a long time to be recognised before I see the macOS login screen - a delay of perhaps 3 minutes or longer and that it doesn't wake up the display immediately if the screensaver has been set. Also the framerate performance seemed a lot slower than working in combination with the RX550.

I can report I've finally managed to boot into 11.4 solely with my Gigabyte RX6800 card on the B550 Vision D. I had used iMacPro1,1 with agdpmod=pikera to boot in and it had to be on the 2nd HDMI slot. One very strange thing I discovered is that the card takes a long time to be recognised before I see the macOS login screen - a delay of perhaps 3 minutes or longer and that it doesn't wake up the display immediately if the screensaver has been set. Also the framerate performance seemed a lot slower than working in combination with the RX550.
Did you try Mac Pro 7,1 without WEG or the boot argument?

How is the USB-C port treated in Mac OS? (for 6800XT/6900XT) Is it a fully functional port counting toward the port limit?

@gandem,

USB port(s) that are on PCIe cards such as the USB C port on a GPU or even a dedicated USB PCIe card all have their own on-board XHC controller, MacOS's 15 port limit is per XHC controller in the system. Each XHC controller in the system is allocated its own unique identity in the ioreg so you can have way more than 15 USB ports in MacOS as long as they are spread across multiple XHC controllers.

So to answer the second part of your question ... no the USB C port on a AMD 6000 series GPU will not add to the 15 port USB limit of the motherboard.

As far as we know Apples current AMD 6000 series GPU drivers only allow the use of the Type C port to be used in Display Port mode (see above posts). It is possible that Apple/AMD will add a full USB C stack to the driver in a later release of MacOS.

Cheers
Jay

Make sure you have the last kernel patch (Shannee's Fix PAT) enabled and the second to the last kernel patch (Algrey's Fix PAT) disabled. By default, Algrey's patch is enabled and Shannee's patch is disabled. Be aware that by using Shannee's patch if you are using DP/HDMI audio it will have issues, if you aren't using DP/HDMI audio then you will have nom issues.

Anyone have any luck using the XFX Speedster MERC 319 RX6900XT Black? Are non-reference cards still a no-go?
The (RX-69XTACBD9) has the same port config as a reference card.

Just bought this card. Replaced by RX 5700 XT with it. Just works.

MacPro7,1
agdpmod=pikera
iGPU disabled in BIOS

I connected both DP ports to my Gigabyte Titan Ridge in order to connect my LG Ultrafine 5k with full resolution.

Back