Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

@Andy1983 Yes, it's set to normal. I even tried to set it to a value below 1 in the corresponding .plist file, but 1 is the lowest value possible.

I see you were running a RX580, have you added boot flag agdpmod=pikera you will need that now I think.
I've tried booting with WEG (with and without the agdpmod argument) and completely without WEG, but none of these combinations led to success. I can see it has the correct device ID in system info, but for some reason it's not actually detected as a 6900XT.

I've tried booting with WEG (with and without the agdpmod argument) and completely without WEG, but none of these combinations led to success. I can see it has the correct device ID in system info, but for some reason it's not actually detected as a 6900XT.

Reference AMD card?

Is there an way to disable SAM for macOS (which wont work?) but keep it enabled for Windows?
I'm also having issue with Resizeable bar. MacOs cannot boot when it's enabled.
It's a pain to toggle when I want to boot Windows to play some games.
I hope it can get fixed.

Updated to 11.4.1 beta yesterday, installed a new card today. Everything is working fine (including my Sound Blaster Audigy RX which is using a custom kext) except 1. USB 3.0 ports on the front panel 2. Bluetooth dongle (it may be not supported by Big Sur, will try to change it via https://www.tp-link.com/in/home-networking/adapter/ub400/

P.S. I have outdated CPU & MB which have PCI-E 3.0 slots only so my benchmarks may not be so good ;)

Attachments

• About This Mac.png
    About This Mac.png
    143 KB · Views: 143
  • Blackmagic RAW Speed Test.png
    Blackmagic RAW Speed Test.png
    616.2 KB · Views: 142
  • FurMark.png
    FurMark.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 147
I wonder if the usb-c port on the 6000 series needs port mapping and proper power properties similar to how we have to do it for the onboard USB ports?

I wonder if the usb-c port on the 6000 series needs port mapping and proper power properties similar to how we have to do it for the onboard USB ports?
It looks like the new drivers disable the USB ports. It shows up with an AppleAMDUSBXHCIPCI entry, but with no ports:
1619213521090.png

And whereas in earlier Big Sur versions you could plug in a USB stick or other device into the USB-C port and it'd work, and sleep was broken even with the GPU disabled unless the controller was disabled, neither is true now.

Updated to 11.4.1 beta yesterday, installed a new card today. Everything is working fine (including my Sound Blaster Audigy RX which is using a custom kext) except 1. USB 3.0 ports on the front panel 2. Bluetooth dongle (it may be not supported by Big Sur, will try to change it via https://www.tp-link.com/in/home-networking/adapter/ub400/

P.S. I have outdated CPU & MB which have PCI-E 3.0 slots only so my benchmarks may not be so good ;)
I think most of us only have PCIe 3.0, except for those with AMD systems. But yes I think most of us have a faster CPU.

Your Blackmagic Raw Speed Test result is actually really interesting - only 42 FPS despite you having the same GPU as me, the 6900XT.

@oreoapple I think this is more evidence that the BRST benchmark is bottlenecked. Maybe that 125 FPS limit we both see with our GPUs is CPU or RAM or PCIe or just code limited. If it was a true GPU benchmark, Cyberneticist should be getting a very similar result to ours, but they're getting 1/3 the speed.

So I'm happy to believe that BRST is not representative of the GPU. The question remaining is whether it's representative of Resolve Studio. I hope not! It does only test a very specific thing though, and in a real life scenario the user will likely have multiple GPU operations going on simultaneously (decode/debayer + noise reduction + VFX + etc) and hopefully this will enable more full use of the GPU.

It looks like the new drivers disable the USB ports. It shows up with an AppleAMDUSBXHCIPCI entry, but with no ports:
View attachment 516103

And whereas in earlier Big Sur versions you could plug in a USB stick or other device into the USB-C port and it'd work, and sleep was broken even with the GPU disabled unless the controller was disabled, neither is true now.
Very interesting, that would explain why my usb devices connected to my dock didn't work in macOS when I plugged it in to the USB-C port, but the same devices worked in windows. I just did a quick check and didn't look at the Ioregistry. But while the port is disabled for usb connectivity at the moment, displayport tunneling surely is working in macOS and it works well.

Seems like Apple is still doing some enablement of the AppleAMDUSBXHCIPCI class... and this is an early beta after all... I wonder if until they fully enable this new USB driver for the radeon cards, if in the meantime we can find a way to allow com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCIPCI to load? Don't know if it would work, but just a suggestion.

Very interesting, that would explain why my usb devices connected to my dock didn't work in macOS when I plugged it in to that port, but the same devices worked in windows while connected to the usb-c port of the 6800xt. I didn't check the ioregistry. But while the port is disabled for usb connectivity at the moment, displayport tunneling surely is working in macOS.

Seems like Apple is still doing some enablement of the AppleAMDUSBXHCIPCI class... and this is an early beta after all... I wonder if until they fully enable this new USB driver for the radeon card, if in the meantime we can find a way to allow com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCIPCI to load? Don't know if it would work, but just a suggestion.
A page or two back in this thread I replied to your messages of yesterday talking about TB4 docks - if you missed that could you take a look? I'd love to know more about what you've tested with regards to DP tunnelling.

In particular, I'm interested to know if there's any way to get two displays from that one USB-C port (extended, not mirrored.)

Thanks

Back