Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

But this graphic is not just for gamers, for me it would be perfect for 3D to be able to speed up the rendering of Octane or Redshift, which now work well on mac with betas. So many of you are going to ask: but why don't you just go back to PC?
I tried again, but Windows sucks, we waste more time trying to get apps up and running than working, all work time slows down 10% compared to Mac, if we win with the GPU we lose out on workflow. It starts to be complicated to have the best of 2 worlds on one machine (Hackintosh).
I have done a few projects in Redshift on my Ryzentosh with a Vega 64. It is about the best setup you will get at the minute for GPU rendering outside of Windows(apart form Octane which I don't have). However, have you tried Corona renderer? It is Cpu based but is super fast on my 3950x, comparable with Redshift and Octane, it is my render engine of choice.

I tried going over to Windows with my 6900xt and it was awful, just awful after using OS X for 18 years. Hackintosh has been great for me, a couple of functions don't work in AE/Premiere and it hates Mp4s but you should not be using them anyway really. Resolve is zippy and stable too and for CPU rendering in C4D you would have to spend 15k on an equivalent Mac.

Let's just keep our finger crossed Apple support one last generation of AMD cards then it will be back to real Macs for me when I upgrade again(Unfortunately).

But this graphic is not just for gamers, for me it would be perfect for 3D to be able to speed up the rendering of Octane or Redshift, which now work well on mac with betas. So many of you are going to ask: but why don't you just go back to PC?
I tried again, but Windows sucks, we waste more time trying to get apps up and running than working, all work time slows down 10% compared to Mac, if we win with the GPU we lose out on workflow. It starts to be complicated to have the best of 2 worlds on one machine (Hackintosh).

How does Octane run on an M1 Mac?

Maybe Apple is doing us a favor by not showing support for the new AMD cards since nearly none of us can get our hands on one, and it's been how many months now since they have been released? I check almost daily. Even the $2,400 card that was available on Newegg is gone.

Maybe Apple is doing us a favor by not showing support for the new AMD cards since nearly none of us can get our hands on one, and it's been how many months now since they have been released? I check almost daily. Even the $2,400 card that was available on Newegg is gone.
I disagree. Got a 6900xt delivered about 5 weeks ago (although ordered in december, at MSRP + shipping + customs)

Really sorry to say this, but have you considered getting an M1 Mac? They are amazing.

I game in Parallels for the few that I don't have a Mac equivlent.
Unfortunately none of the current mac offerings are flexible enough for my needs, or at a cost I van justify.

Gaming in parallels is not satisfactory for the games I enjoy.

...or move work to a PC.
This may be the direction I go and migrate away from Apple. I hate to do it because there is specific software I use that will not run on Windows, and I can barely stand that OS as it is.

Since I sold my Radeon VII and got the 6800XT in November, I had to resort to using Windows while keeping my MBP for critical work, and I have gotten used to it, but Windows hasn't changed over the last two decades. Getting different devices, peripherals, drivers work together has been a night mare. BSOD, crash to desktop, especially HP Reverb G2 with USB issues have been driving me insane. If you like tinkering, tweaking, it will make a great hobby, but for reliability, nothing has changed since Windows 95. Installing an update is an act of faith. I had to install the OS three times in the last 4 months to troubleshoot some hardware issues. So I am keeping my fingers crossed that Apple will release driver for the 6000s one last time. I've upgrade to i9 and 6800XT as my last hackintosh compatible machine.

@verendus

I completely agree with you about Windows.

It “looks better” than older versions, but it’s still the same/similar under the hood spaghetti mess as always.

I really hope the Xbox version of MS flight sim is quite good, as that’s the only thing I use Windows for anymore.

Back