Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

Look, I don't know if you're being willfully obtuse or not...
Apple sold macs. They sold them with system software and design it to be compatible with published standards. They support their device and software to be compatible with other people's things. Like a hard drive, or a ram dimm. Or running Windows on Apple hardware with Bootcamp. So Apple sells hardware and software, but makes it compatible and supports that compatibility, with other things.
Here, I'll make it simpler. My Mac has a USB port. I can plug a keyboard in, and MacOS will say 'hey, you just attached a keyboard, lets configure it, push the key next to shift'. Because Apple is selling a device that is compatible with third party devices.

What compatibility issues are you having with hard drives or RAM on your Mac?

Apple sells Macs with no guarantee of compatibility with products produced by anyone else. It's up to 3rd party developers to make their products compatible with macOS. If you have ever seen Apple guarantee compatibility with all 3rd party products, please post a link because I've never seen one.

Bootcamp allow users to run software that were not made to run on macOS.

Yes, Macs have USB ports, but not all USB devices work with macOS because the developers never wrote macOS drivers.

If you have have USB capture device that you want to sell to Mac users, do you write the drivers and include it with the device or hope that Apple will develop the drivers for you?

If everything were compatible, there would never be any need to have "compatibility lists".

Hey!! Look what I found!! Apple provided a compatibility list!!
Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 3.33.48 PM.png

Source:https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544

RDNA2 was a new architecture. No one should have expected macOS compatibility because no Macs are or has ever been shipped with an RDNA2 GPU.

Last edited:
seems it is not sure
Support for Big Navi Mac OS 11.3 maybe......

Speculations, as proved by this forum previous posts. Let's hope it will come true.

RDNA2 was a new architecture. No one should have expected macOS compatibility because no Macs are or has ever been shipped with an RDNA2 GPU.
I agree,
What Apple computer could have in the near futur a RDNA 2 GPU ? Only the Mac Pro 2019 ?

I agree,
What Apple computer could have in the near futur a RDNA 2 GPU ? Only the Mac Pro 2019 ?

Currently, only the iMac and Mac Pro are still on Intel.

Rumors have it that the next iMac will be on Apple Silicon so that leaves just the Mac Pro.

Only Apple knows if the Mac Pro will be upgraded again...

I feel it is totally unnecessary to "inform" people from the high horse who have been hopeful about the 6000 series drivers that no Mac has such chip built in. This is redundant because it is obvious.

If it were not obvious, this thread would not have 48 pages and dating back to last year. But whatever. Do you what you think is appropriate.

So, willfully obtuse it is.

If you recall, this all started with a reply to you saying

'IMO, it makes no sense for any company, rich or poor, to support products they don't sell.'

And now you post the list of compliant video solutions that apple supports. Meaning, apple supports the compatibility with products they dont sell. Which is what I had disagreed with you about.
Now, I agree to expect compatibility with RDNA2 is speculative, but companies ALWAYS end up supporting things that they don't make because it helps them sell more of what they make. They don't always support everything, of course, but Apple supports compatibility with a lot of third party things.

Back