Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

they're not supporting other company products, they're supporting their own product to be compatible with standards that allow it to interact with other company products.
that's like saying they you don't know that apple sells computers that use software from other companies.

So you are saying that Apple should produce drivers for every bit of kit that you may want to use with one of their products?

I use an Epson SC-P800 printer. Apple does not produce any drivers for that. Epson produce the drivers. Their are lots of people on here who use Apollo Audio Interfaces for example, Apple does not produce any drivers for them, the manufacturer does that, in this case badly for Big Sur.

It is usual for the manufacturer of the add on to produce the driver for their kit to enable it to work with the OS, in our case macOS. Nearly all manufactures produce the drivers for Windows, and, to a far lesser extent Linux.

I suspect that Apple is waiting for AMD to produce and deliver the drivers to them and they will then include them in their update, as they do for past products.

Just a recommendation, from my own personal feeling. People really should wait for the support before purchase. So many people rush out to buy due to "demand" only to wait a year or never. New GPUs are neat, but if you want to use these outside the normal market (as in Hackintosh) it will come with risk and caveats.

I think most people who only use Hackintosh don't upgrade to the latest and greatest GPU etc. If they are dual booting with Windows then why should they wait until drivers are available for both OSs? At least they can use it with Windows whilst waiting for macOS to be updated, if ever, as I have. I use the 6900 in Windows and an old 580 if I want/need the acceleration. Even then most of the time the 6900 is ok for what I am doing in BS - Excel, Word, gPodder etc have no need for the acceleration.

The size of Kexts for example X6000MTLDriver increased from version to version, like let's say 12.5 Mb upto 100+ Mb (public vesions). The size of other plugins changed a little in 3 public versions. So what I expect is, as previous speculation , those driver will be done after 1st April, or even later. Sorry for folks which want "Now" the driver. If the interest of Metal Support kext was lost, no, it was not. The increase of file tends to give me hope. So, let's wait for 11.4 (.x)and we will see later. About the buying a card which in not supported, I can see a reason. For example I have 6800Xt, and 570 8gb model, if I sell my 570 will have now x usd profit. Now imho when you go for 1000+ eur device, speculating about how much "money" I will get on my "old card" if Driver is out "Now" is childish (stupid?). So for the safe of our, buyers of 6xx+ let be one driver "Now" (2 months expected).

what about macOS 11.3 (build 20E5210c) PB4 ?? :|
Any new news ? :lol:

they're not supporting other company products, they're supporting their own product to be compatible with standards that allow it to interact with other company products.
that's like saying they you don't know that apple sells computers that use software from other companies.

What?

Who's software does Apple sell with Macs besides Apple software?

what about macOS 11.3 (build 20E5210c) PB4 ?? :|
No change in 11.3 Beta 4 public release. The AMD driver binaries all got updated (to what extent I didn't check - could just be to bump version numbers), but crucially no new Info.plist was distributed for any of the AMDRadeonX6000*.kext files.

My guess is that we shouldn't expect it to come in any beta version other than beta 1. Ie 11.4 b1 is the next possible, or if we're still unlucky then 11.5 beta 1, etc. Normally the first beta of each release is the one that introduces new stuff - I wouldn't expect to see major changes or new features added in additional betas for a given release, which are usually just for fixing bugs or minor tweaks.

I'd love to be wrong and certainly I do keep checking each beta 2, 3, 4, etc, but I think the above is the most likely scenario.

I can only hope that members who have bought RX6800XT and similar cards did so for Windows and are just hoping for compatibility with macOS at some point for convenience.

Apple Store currently offers two high-end GPUs for their Mac Pro with the 5700 and Vega 2 (Radeon VII I believe) chipsets, so drivers are included in the OS. If they were offering the 6*** series we should also expect a driver. So far they aren't and there isn't.

A report came in that code for the 6800 Framebuffer was found, but not an actual driver. This reminds me of the reported references to Ryzen in macOS source. But has there been an AMD CPU Mac? Is there likely to be?

:)

I can only hope that members who have bought RX6800XT and similar cards did so for Windows and are just hoping for compatibility with macOS at some point for convenience.
If people bought one for macOS only at MSRP, I would recommend selling it now.

Who said 11.2.3 was supposed to have drivers? I see no evidence of anyone claiming that. 11.2.3 is a bugfix release primarily around WebKit.

Maybe you meant 11.3 beta 3, based on the OTOY forum post by an Octane X developer, which I see is now also being reported by news outlets (example, in Italian: https://www.macitynet.it/macos-11-3-radeon-rx-6800-6900-xt/) In which case no, sadly it's still not working in 11.3 beta 3. We're not sure why that Octane developer said it was there when it's not, but I'm hoping it means that he's heard it's coming and just got the release wrong - like maybe it'll be in 11.3 beta 4 (if there is one), or else in 11.4 beta 1.

EDIT: I posted a question on that OTOY forum to ask the developer for more info on why he thought it was in 11.3 beta 3. It's currently awaiting moderator approval as it was my first post. Hopefully it'll appear soon. If he really does have insider info, he probably can't say any more due to NDAs. Ot it could be he was just completely mistaken, thinking he heard it was already there when it's not.. but let's hope not.
Yes sorry you are right, it's supposed to be in the 11.3 betas... I got a little bit too excited.

I'm not sure this is going to be the last support we will see on MacOS, I work in high-end post-production and audio-visuals and certainly the M1 from a processor standpoint is more than enough and super fast since pretty much nowadays is being GPU optimised in our field.

Nonetheless, unless the new iMac Pro or Mac Pro mini can deliver great GPU performance with cores or whatever magic they have, we will need more GPU computing performance and from what I've read eGPU support is supposed to be in there too. So I suppose that for those needing extra juice you could hook more GPUs and thus drivers should be available...

Probably until Apple also gets to the point where their GPU computing units are on pair with the competition and they can phase those out.

Who knows... :D

Yes sorry you are right, it's supposed to be in the 11.3 betas... I got a little bit too excited.

I'm not sure this is going to be the last support we will see on MacOS, I work in high-end post-production and audio-visuals and certainly the M1 from a processor standpoint is more than enough and super fast since pretty much nowadays is being GPU optimised in our field.

Nonetheless, unless the new iMac Pro or Mac Pro mini can deliver great GPU performance with cores or whatever magic they have, we will need more GPU computing performance and from what I've read eGPU support is supposed to be in there too. So I suppose that for those needing extra juice you could hook more GPUs and thus drivers should be available...

Probably until Apple also gets to the point where their GPU computing units are on pair with the competition and they can phase those out.

Who knows... :D
RdNa3 is supposed to deliver even more impressive performance uplifts than RDNA2 is to the prior generation, and rdna2 is FAST. so I don’t know if or when Apple will ever catch up.

It would be so much easier to just allow mac users to use their graphics card of choice: Apple, nvidia, AMD, and of course both Intel integrated as well discrete DG2. Apple offers thunderbolt ports, and per spec, thunderbolt includes PCIe tunneling, so as long as there’s a macOS driver for a pcie device, it should work via thunderbolt.

But Apple persists in locking macOS down.

I agree 100%. Reasons I bought a 6900 XT:
- Probable MacOs support
- Open source Linux GPU drivers
- Windows gaming performance

Back