Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

Feels like could be several months before the drivers are included. I can't see the new first gen M* iMac or 16" MacBook using discrete graphics. The only urgency I can see for Apple to support these cards is to offer Mac Pro upgrades and they likely want control over that first with a new MPX offering.

@jb-uk,

Yup I think your correct with that prediction, It took a very long time and several MacOS Updates before AMD/Apple got the 5000 Navi series GPU drivers stable ....

It is quite possible that Apple will release a new 6000 Navi based MPX card for the Mac Pro, especially if the rumours are true that Apple will be giving the Intel Mac Pro a refresh in 2021 .... which can only be good news for all hackintoshers.

Cheers
Jay

I can confirm that 6800XT booting with Big Sur 11.1 beta but no acceleration. Big Sur 11.0.1 will stuck at apple logo so no compatibility.
Just curious, how do you know you don't have acceleration? Apart from doing benchmark or rendering. Is there a utility or something that can tell you this right away?

I am waiting to receive my Rx6800, and I think I can live without acceleration for a while. As long as I can plug my 2 4k monitors. (The 6800 will be mainly use for gaming when booting Windows...)

Just curious, how do you know you don't have acceleration? Apart from doing benchmark or rendering. Is there a utility or something that can tell you this right away?

I am waiting to receive my Rx6800, and I think I can live without acceleration for a while. As long as I can plug my 2 4k monitors. (The 6800 will be mainly use for gaming when booting Windows...)
because it will look naff and sluggish

We also look at IOReg and see the audio and Framebuffer partial loading. About this Mac/System Report/Extensions show those as well. What is missing is the loading of the AMDRadeonX6000.kext which is the one with accelerators. If it doesn’t load you only get 10-30mb vs 16GB.

Unlikely to be any 6000 drivers in it at this late stage, but Big Sur 11.2 RC3 (20D64) is out.

Guys... there's not going to be functionality changes between a beta and a RC. New features are introduced in betas, RC's are to validate them and make sure they are bug free.

Maybe 11.3 beta1 will include it but there's nothing unexpected here.

Dont care bout anything , just waiting for drivers.

Could be confirming what we think:

I don’t imagine they can stick to 5 series before intel CPUs get phased out
If true I guess that is good news for us. Hopefully the 6000 drivers will get released for e-gpu support even if it ain't actually going in the new imacs.

Can't imagine this system will be particularly popular though, maybe Apple should have played it's cards a bit closer to it's chest regarding their roadmap to ARM only in two years.

because it will look naff and sluggish
Just received my 6800.... I updated to the latest beta... And well, at least I can boot in Mac OS. It is sluggish as you said, but it is not as bad as I thought. But I can only use one monitor. But it is ok for now.
Now waiting for the 11.3 beta.....

Back