Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

Yeah, looks like Overclockers still have 6900’s and some OC 6800’s in stock if anyone’s interested (UK shipping only). Btw. nice one for getting one at that price.
Thanks for this. Still seems too pricey for me at least until macOS support is confirmed. At the moment supply issues and prices mean I'd rather wait anyway. In the meantime, if it turns out that Apple changes its mind and focuses on its own GPUs then it gives me the option to get a 3070 instead.

If you are quick nab a 6800 .... Loads of stock got XTs too

@Andy1983,

Nice find .... Its intresting that the above card and a few other AMD 6000 serires GPU's that are still in stock are hidden in the "3D Printers" section of the Overclockers website.

If you look in the "GPU" section of the Overclockers web site all the 6000 serires GPU's are either sold out or on backorder.

Maybe this is Overclockers way of trying to beat off e-coin miners and scalpers and giving some everyday peeps the chance to score a decent and recent GPU.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Nice find .... Its nntresting that the above card and a few other 6000 serires GPU's are hidden in the "3D Printers" section of the Overclockers website
Yeah they did that so as to try and make cards available only to people on their forum. They first put them up on Friday morning. Originally they were put up and then taken down quickly, while the OC staff saw whether they'd oversold or not (their system is hopeless apparently, and can't avoid overselling when there's too much traffic.) Then by Saturday they just put everything live and left it live.

I think everyone, me included, expect them to sell out in minutes, like they have in the past. But their prices are so inflated though - almost scalper level - that they've still not sold out a few days later. £1200 for the 6900XT!

I fell for that myself and ordered the 6900XT on Friday, and am selling my 6800. It's arriving in a couple of hours. I'm not sure whether to be happy or feel like an idiot for paying the price of a used car for a GPU.. :)

@TheBloke,

Yeah I was kind of surprised at the prices .... usually OverClockers are pretty competitive to sites like Scan Computers ....
I think the 6800 XT should be the sweet spot in terms of price / performance but I'm not going to over pay for one.

Having said that I was very tempted when I saw they had them in stock today ...

I think i'll sit on the fence for a while and see how well they perform once MacOS gets full support for them.
For now I'll stick with me Liquid Cooled Vega 64 ... its served me well for the last three years.

Cheers
Jay

I think everyone, me included, expect them to sell out in minutes, like they have in the past. But their prices are so inflated though - almost scalper level - that they've still not sold out a few days later. £1200 for the 6900XT!

I fell for that myself and ordered the 6900XT on Friday, and am selling my 6800. It's arriving in a couple of hours. I'm not sure whether to be happy or feel like an idiot for paying the price of a used car for a GPU.. :)
I can relate to that. Mine just showed up, it really is an insane amount of money! Buyers remorse has set in already, tbh I may well return it.

I think i'll sit on the fence for a while and see how well they perform once MacOS gets full support for them.
For now I'll stick with me Liquid Cooled Vega 64 ... its served me well for the last three years.
Definitely the wise thing to do. Feels like could be several months before the drivers are included. I can't see the new first gen M* iMac or 16" MacBook using discrete graphics. The only urgency I can see for Apple to support these cards is to offer Mac Pro upgrades and they likely want control over that first with a new MPX offering.

The prices will drop at some point, it's just pure supply and demand greed from these retailers at the moment. "There's nothing we can do about the prices" they say, hmm.

eBay is chock full of people flipping these cards. Check this out as well, still live on Amazon!
Screenshot 2021-01-26 at 14.03.23.png

I can relate to that. Mine just showed up, it really is an insane amount of money! Buyers remorse has set in already, tbh I may well return it.

Definitely the wise thing to do. Feels like could be several months before the drivers are included. I can't see the new first gen M* iMac or 16" MacBook using discrete graphics. The only urgency I can see for Apple to support these cards is to offer Mac Pro upgrades and they likely want control over that first with a new MPX offering.

The prices will drop at some point, it's just pure supply and demand greed from these retailers at the moment. "There's nothing we can do about the prices" they say, hmm.

eBay is chock full of people flipping these cards. Check this out as well, still live on Amazon!View attachment 506276
at least the delivery is free.... :)

Thanks for that link! I already had a reference MSI 6800 but I’ve just bought the Sapphire Nitro+ 6800 and sold my MSI on eBay. I didn’t realise the Sapphire lacked a USB-C port though which is a shame as I had plans for it. Also it needs 750 watts so I’ve had to upgrade my PSU too. Why is nothing ever easy/cheap?! :lol:
Hah no worries glad that link was useful, I am came across a thread where quite a lot of stock has started to pop up.

Man that Sapphire is nice good buy I reckon, even the pulse looks good.

Hah no worries glad that link was useful, I am came across a thread where quite a lot of stock has started to pop up.

Man that Sapphire is nice good buy I reckon, even the pulse looks good.
My Sapphire 6800 should have been here today, but it didn’t arrive. Should be tomorrow now. My RM850 turned up though so that’s all installed and ready for when the new card gets here!

My Sapphire 6800 should have been here today, but it didn’t arrive. Should be tomorrow now. My RM850 turned up though so that’s all installed and ready for when the new card gets here!
Good stuff man... Just need MacOS support now, I can't stand Windows much longer.

Good stuff man... Just need MacOS support now, I can't stand Windows much longer.
Fingers crossed! I’m keeping my RX580 around until then

Back