Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

This gave us great hope that the card would be supported quickly.
The drivers, device ID, etc for the 5000 cards were in early beta releases of Catalina, I think maybe in late versions of Mojave. But it was not till 10.15.2 that the 5000 cards were actually supported, could still be a while.

The drivers, device ID, etc for the 5000 cards were in early beta releases of Catalina, I think maybe in late versions of Mojave. But it was not till 10.15.2 that the 5000 cards were actually supported, could still be a while.
The only reason they would bother is if they have plans to use one of these new cards in a machine. The only machine I can imagine they would try to do so at this point is the Mac Pro, but I seriously doubt that. Also, if they wish to support eGPU as an option. I, again, seriously doubt it.

The only reason they would bother is if they have plans to use one of these new cards in a machine. The only machine I can imagine they would try to do so at this point is the Mac Pro, but I seriously doubt that. Also, if they wish to support eGPU as an option. I, again, seriously doubt it.
Well they never had a 5700XT in one of their machines and brought support in 10.15.2 anyway because :

1 : they don't need to bother, it's AMD doing the work getting the drivers ready.
2 : those drivers support a whole family of GPU's even if only one specific reference (mobile SKU as an example) is built into a mac.

I doubt they'll let down those who poured $5000 into a high-end intel MacMini and cut them from a decent eGPU in the future.
I also doubt they'll let down MacPro 7.1 owners, a lot of them being angry MacPro 6.1 customers because of lack of upgradabilty.

RDNA2 cards will come to the mac one way or another, does not matter if it's not specifically the 6800XT it will get support at the same time.

Well they never had a 5700XT in one of their machines and brought support in 10.15.2 anyway because :

1 : they don't need to bother, it's AMD doing the work getting the drivers ready.
2 : those drivers support a whole family of GPU's even if only one specific reference (mobile SKU as an example) is built into a mac.
W5700X is pretty much a 5700XT and it is in the mac pro 7,1

I doubt they'll let down those who poured $5000 into a high-end intel MacMini and cut them from a decent eGPU in the future.
Not sure where you found a $5000 mac Mini totally maxed out only comes in at $3000 even before the M1 it was only like $500 more. A fully maxed out M1 is $1699 and as of currently does not support eGPU!

I also doubt they'll let down MacPro 7.1 owners, a lot of them being angry MacPro 6.1 customers because of lack of upgradabilty.
Unless you bought the base model chances are you are not upgrading the GPU in one of the MacPro 7.1.

RDNA2 cards will come to the mac one way or another, does not matter if it's not specifically the 6800XT it will get support at the same time.
He did not mention any card specifically only that he did not think they were going to make the 6000 series drivers. However, the driver is already there more or less it is just not turned on.

I believe we will get full support soon. The reason I believe this is because they had initial support in the first beta of BigSur and then added specific framebuffers in 11.1 beta. I doubt they would have added specific frame buffers at a later time if they didn't intend to add full support later. I think its taking longer than normal to add full support because Apple tends to port Linux AMD Drivers with their own added stuff and Linux AMD Drivers are still not working properly. So all in all, I think we will get full support soon.

My understanding is that even on Windows, Navi 2 drivers are kinda sucky. My guess is that Apple is waiting for AMD to get their **** together. Have no idea why a company that works so well to make hardware ends up screwing themselves up so badly because if their drivers. AMD truly seems to be their own worst enemy.

Patiently waiting for the drivers for 6900XT for Big Sur

They used the 5700XT in the new iMac. That was why they supported it. Not because of eGPU or Mac Pro.

They used the 5700XT in the new iMac. That was why they supported it. Not because of eGPU or Mac Pro.
Support for 5700XT was added in December of 2019, The iMac you talk about was released in August of 2020... The timing makes no sense if they only had the new iMac in mind.

Notice that Apple fully supporting eGPU for AMD cards - atm from rx 570 till latest ones.

It's definitely boosting sell rate of macbooks as you can have fast and nice looking productivity device and later on you can plug eGPU and stress out playing games on bootcamp.

But after all still waiting for 6800xt drivers

Back