Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

Why release anything on the Intel platform given the dominance of m1?
If they do pursue intel for one more round, I’m guessing Alder Lake maybe? But even so, unless Alder Lake single core performance is off the charts and similar to m1, it seems futile to release an Intel based Mac at this point.
No not Intel-based. Only hoping for GPU updates but I'm not holding my breath. Not sure they will ever need to. I just would like to grab an AMD 6900 XT for my eGPU if supported.

Maybe its not 100% about that topic- but I wanna install big sur beta on my pc waiting for RX 6800 XT support to check it personally asap and report in case.
Creating install media or opencore efi isnt problem as there are some repos with opencore ready for my setup (Despite gpu) I've got catalina hack and soon will come to me MB Air M1.
But will I be able to install big sur while my monitors are connected to rx 6800 xt? Will screen work while installation or maybe it just wont be accelerated all orher things will work?

Maybe its not 100% about that topic- but I wanna install big sur beta on my pc waiting for RX 6800 XT support to check it personally asap and report in case.
Creating install media or opencore efi isnt problem as there are some repos with opencore ready for my setup (Despite gpu) I've got catalina hack and soon will come to me MB Air M1.
But will I be able to install big sur while my monitors are connected to rx 6800 xt? Will screen work while installation or maybe it just wont be accelerated all orher things will work?
Yes you can still do the install with a RX 6800 XT, you just will not have acceleration.

Personally, I can't boot with the RX 6800 XT, I juste upgraded my Hackintosh with new ssd sabrent m.2, 4x8 4000 MHz ram and Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6800 XT on OC 0.6.4 with the last version of Big Sur.
In verbose the last line is something like "tx flush etc" which is not really common.

I am able to boot with 6800 xt on Big Sur 11.1 beta, but without acceleration as well. However my machine is way slower now than with the iGPU on UHD 630.

Is this because there is no acceleration? I followed instructions to enable iGPU for compute, so I expected it to perform the same as before, but it's definitely slower. Youtube has tons of UI bugs and videos lose tons of frames, even something as simple as the mouse movement across the screen is noticeably dropping frames. Is this expected?

Yeah macOS it not really useable without acceleration. You need to wait for acceleration or attach your screen to the iGPU.

Yeah macOS it not really useable without acceleration. You need to wait for acceleration or attach your screen to the iGPU.
Ah interesting, thanks for responding. So even with iGPU compute enabled (assuming I set it up correctly), it still wouldn't perform well? Maybe I am misunderstanding the difference between iGPU compute and hardware acceleration--fairly new to all of this.

Installed latest big sur beta release, confirm no acceleration so far - will inform if sth change.

Ah interesting, thanks for responding. So even with iGPU compute enabled (assuming I set it up correctly), it still wouldn't perform well? Maybe I am misunderstanding the difference between iGPU compute and hardware acceleration--fairly new to all of this.
Those two are unrelated. iGPU compute is for GPGPU tasks. This is different from "graphics acceleration" which is required for a properly rendering macOS.

Back