Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

I'm 99% certain he's speculating :p

yes you are both correct, is just speculation

Last edited:
Yeah you're right. It might take a while. But it seemed like a very good sign when 11.1 added support for the cards, in time for their launch. Much faster than they did with the 5xxx series cards.

Unfortunately the support is not yet complete, but the fact that they added detection for the cards may be a good sign that they plan to have full support by the time 11.1 is ready for public release.

Personally I can't see why they would bother adding support for the cards in 11.1 beta if they weren't also going to make them fully work, so I'm quite optimistic that by the time 11.1 is final it will have working support. Not sure how long that will be, probably at least a few weeks.

i just can’t be swaping cards just to run mac os
You know it's possible to disable the 3090 in macOS? So if you have enough PCIe slots (and room in your case), you could boot with both the 3090 and a 5700 or any other macOS-supported card, then use an SSDT to hide the 3090 from macOS. There's quite a few people using that configuration.

I might even consider doing it myself, if 6800 support ends up being slow. I might boot with both the 6800 and my Vega 64 installed; the 6800 for Windows gaming, the Vega 64 for macOS. Though I guess I won't have to disable the 6800, given it's detected. I can just not use it, and unplug its monitor cable for macOS use.

happy thanks giving

Last edited:
Subscribed myself to this topic. I can't wait till the XR 6800 XT support is in Big Sur and Hackintosh, this is definitely on my wish list together with a Ultra-Wide 34 inch screen.

Awesome job pioneering with this card @tleej , thanks for that! I hope when Big Sur supports this GPU, it also supports the other-branded GPU's (Sapphire, ASUS, GigaByte, etc.).

Subscribed myself to this topic. I can't wait till the XR 6800 XT support is in Big Sur and Hackintosh, this is definitely on my wish list together with a Ultra-Wide 34 inch screen.

If you are lucky you may get one by this time next year! :beachball:

Anyone had any luck tweaking those AMD drivers to enable acceleration on navi21 ?

I was hoping we'd have a drop of 11.1 beta 2 today with all the other betas, but I didn't see it

I was hoping we'd have a drop of 11.1 beta 2 today with all the other betas, but I didn't see it
I'm waiting on beta 2 also. I'm hoping that the initial support in the first beta means that they'll be fairly quick to add full support. Perhaps the new drivers weren't ready at the time of the first beta, but with a few weeks between betas, they might be by the time of the second.

Regarding trying to get an older driver to connect: my assumption has been that even if it were possible, support wouldn't be perfect.

If beta 2 lands and still support isn't improved, I may have a go at the Fake ID trick or similar. Because my guess is beta 2 will be the last beta before the new year, given the holidays coming up.

Looks like we have accelerators now......

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 1.50.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 1.50.19 PM.png
    309.6 KB · Views: 606
Back