Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

I'd like to know how anyone is getting their 6700's 6800's and 6900 cards!! Everywhere sold out for 1 year! lol
And it certainly isn’t going to get easier now that swathes of Hackintosh users are searching for them too.
I’ve decided I’m going to sell my 5700xt now 6000 support is confirmed and just wait for this crypto bull run to end.

Paying more than any some m1 macs for a gaming gpu is pretty wild. :/

Have you tried iMac20,1 + WhateverGreen + agdpmod=pikera boot-arg?

You'll likely also want to change your DeviceProperties -> Add -> PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0) -> AAPL,ig-platform-id to this:
View attachment 516161

Given you're presumably only connecting monitors to the 6800 and not to your iGPU?

Or if you do want to disable the iGPU completely, then I'd go ahead and try iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1 and see what happens - if you have PM problems you can look into that afterwards.

Your suggestion worked perfectly, thanks for that. I don't use my iGPU indeed, so setting the AAPL,ig-platform-id to the value you mentioned seems safe.

The page I mentioned above says "iMacPro1,1 and MacPro7,1 are the only 2 SMBIOS that will allow for dGPU to handle all the workload including background rendering and other tasks that the iGPU would handle". I still don't fully understand that statement. Even though iMac20,1 is now working, I won't be able to use its full power?

The correct SMBIOS is important for DRM, ACPI, etc.

Usually the best option is to pick a SMBIOS of a real Mac matching your CPU, and then settle within that product family on one with a discrete graphics card or not. The model of the graphics card doesn't need to match necessarily but it helps.

The iMac20,1 SMBIOS will delegate to the i5-10600K internal intel graphics for certain functions like DRM/Apple Movies, decoding of JPG files, etc. For other functions like gaming or photoshop, etc - the discrete graphics / RX 6800 will be used similar to a real intel iMac.

If you pick SMBIOS where the real Mac has not iGPU (i.e. MacPro) - then MacOS will delegate all processing functions to discrete graphics / RX 6800.

WhateverGreen is recommended as it usually will take care of ensuring all ports working and the card is configured in MacOS (assuming that the family of cards is supported by MacOS of course).

I only saw your post now after my last reply. That clarifies a lot! Thank you :)

I'd like to know how anyone is getting their 6700's 6800's and 6900 cards!! Everywhere sold out for 1 year!
I ordered mine on launch, and have had it in the system waiting for months.

Here's the results of a couple of Metal GeekBench 5 scores on my:

Asus AREZ 8GB Dual OC RX580:
View attachment 516160

And my Sapphire Nitro+ RX6800:
View attachment 516162

Quite an improvement :)
Screenshot 2021-04-24 at 12.36.04.png

Just got my one running on a AMD 3900 with a X570 Master ... damn wish Gigabyte would return my Z490 Vision D with a i9-10900k

Is there anyone can test if "Resize Bar" works or not and if it works is there any performance difference?

I think most of us only have PCIe 3.0, except for those with AMD systems. But yes I think most of us have a faster CPU.

Your Blackmagic Raw Speed Test result is actually really interesting - only 42 FPS despite you having the same GPU as me, the 6900XT.

@oreoapple I think this is more evidence that the BRST benchmark is bottlenecked. Maybe that 125 FPS limit we both see with our GPUs is CPU or RAM or PCIe or just code limited. If it was a true GPU benchmark, Cyberneticist should be getting a very similar result to ours, but they're getting 1/3 the speed.

So I'm happy to believe that BRST is not representative of the GPU. The question remaining is whether it's representative of Resolve Studio. I hope not! It does only test a very specific thing though, and in a real life scenario the user will likely have multiple GPU operations going on simultaneously (decode/debayer + noise reduction + VFX + etc) and hopefully this will enable more full use of the GPU.
I’m planning to upgrade MB + RAM (to DDR4, I have DDR3 now) + CPU as soon I’ll sell my old RX 5700.
Will send updated benchmark as I’ll did it

P.S. I’m looking onto MSI Z590-A Pro for upgrade. Does anyone had experience with running BigSur on it ?

Is there anyone can test if "Resize Bar" works or not and if it works is there any performance difference?
I don't believe anyone has found a way to boot macOS with Resize Bar enabled as yet.

Back