Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

I know I am ignorant of how most of this stuff works, but I don't understand why third party drivers can't be written.

Either way, this is putting me in a serious dilemma. I have software that is no longer compatible with 10.13 that I use for work. I can't update OSX because I have an Nvidia 1080ti. I am hesitant to spend a large amount of money on an older generation AMD card without knowing what is happening with this series.

I just don't know what to do here. I have considered going back to Windows permanently and just saying, "screw Apple." but, the switch back seems like such a pain.

I considered an iMac, but I don't think it will suit my needs and it will also require me to purchase a separate gaming PC, bringing the total cost to over $5000.

I looked at doing a dual card thing, but the switching back and fourth between monitors and such seems like a hassle, plus AMD cards are still around $800 for the power I need.

Yes, this is me just ranting but this feels like the Nvidia thing all over again. I waited on that one and it was the wrong choice. Now I'm stuck again and have no idea what to do.

I know I am ignorant of how most of this stuff works, but I don't understand why third party drivers can't be written.

Either way, this is putting me in a serious dilemma. I have software that is no longer compatible with 10.13 that I use for work. I can't update OSX because I have an Nvidia 1080ti. I am hesitant to spend a large amount of money on an older generation AMD card without knowing what is happening with this series.

I just don't know what to do here. I have considered going back to Windows permanently and just saying, "screw Apple." but, the switch back seems like such a pain.

I considered an iMac, but I don't think it will suit my needs and it will also require me to purchase a separate gaming PC, bringing the total cost to over $5000.

I looked at doing a dual card thing, but the switching back and fourth between monitors and such seems like a hassle, plus AMD cards are still around $800 for the power I need.

Yes, this is me just ranting but this feels like the Nvidia thing all over again. I waited on that one and it was the wrong choice. Now I'm stuck again and have no idea what to do.
This is the risk you take in the hackintosh community, but to lower that risk you have to decide whether you should be using a hackintosh to perform work related task. This is something I personally do not recommend. If you have a requirement for something that is work related, I recommend using a genuine Mac product if macOS is one of those requirements.

Some people want to make apples decisions seem justified and correct rather than looking at what would make the best computers and asking for that.

Those were not Apple's decisions to make. They were Nvidia's decisions.

Lots of people tried to ask Nvidia for drivers and it fell on deaf ears.

Once again, Apple can't decided whether or not Nvidia makes macOS drivers. ONLY Nvidia can make that decision.

This is the risk you take in the hackintosh community, but to lower that risk you have to decide whether you should be using a hackintosh to perform work related task. This is something I personally do not recommend. If you have a requirement for something that is work related, I recommend using a genuine Mac product if macOS is one of those requirements.
Thanks for the advice, but I don't use these computers because I'm looking for a hobby. I am using them because Apple does not offer anything that will work for my purposes. I've been using this computer for over 8 years (with a few upgrades) and it has worked almost flawlessly.

Apple does not currently offer anything that will work for me and the costs are insane. Which is why I am in this predicament.

Hi guys did someone read this?

I hope i bring back little smile on your faces :)

Hi there,

Despite all the negativity in this thread the RX6800XT isn't some magical saviour, nor is it truly necessary.

For example the Mac Pro is currently offered by Apple with either an AMD 5700 or Vega 2 (Radeon VII by another name) GPU option. There are drivers. They are powerful GPUs.

Okay, right now any GPU is going for silly money and being snapped up by miners, but that would happen to the RX6800XT as much as any other powerful GPU. As you already have a GTX1080 but need to upgrade, are the Mac options no good for any reason?

Hi there,

Despite all the negativity in this thread the RX6800XT isn't some magical saviour, nor is it truly necessary.

For example the Mac Pro is currently offered by Apple with either an AMD 5700 or Vega 2 (Radeon VII by another name) GPU option. There are drivers. They are powerful GPUs.

Okay, right now any GPU is going for silly money and being snapped up by miners, but that would happen to the RX6800XT as much as any other powerful GPU. As you already have a GTX1080 but need to upgrade, are the Mac options no good for any reason?

If my ONLY objective were to upgrade to the latest version of macOS, I would just get an M1 Mac mini. The prices of video cards right now are just too insane.

If my ONLY objective were to upgrade to the latest version of macOS, I would just get an M1 Mac mini. The prices of video cards right now are just too insane.

+1

I think a lot of builders are more invested in Windows than macOS, otherwise why buy an RX6800XT right now?

For a Pro I don't see the point of mixing the two OSs on the same machine. With Big Sur bootcamp is gone, pushing Windows even further away. Apple software for Pros does most jobs they have in their workflow. Of course someone will shout that I'm wrong, and there are always exceptions, but I wouldn't buy hardware I knew wasn't supported for my Hack, especially at these kind of prices.

People blaming Apple for the path they've chosen makes me ask why are they interested in macOS then?

Bootcamp does not allow Windows apps to run in macOS.

Wine and Crossover do, but neither are part of macOS natively.
Look, I don't know if you're being willfully obtuse or not...
Apple sold macs. They sold them with system software and design it to be compatible with published standards. They support their device and software to be compatible with other people's things. Like a hard drive, or a ram dimm. Or running Windows on Apple hardware with Bootcamp. So Apple sells hardware and software, but makes it compatible and supports that compatibility, with other things.
Here, I'll make it simpler. My Mac has a USB port. I can plug a keyboard in, and MacOS will say 'hey, you just attached a keyboard, lets configure it, push the key next to shift'. Because Apple is selling a device that is compatible with third party devices.

Back