Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Yes sorry you are right, it's supposed to be in the 11.3 betas... I got a little bit too excited.

I'm not sure this is going to be the last support we will see on MacOS, I work in high-end post-production and audio-visuals and certainly the M1 from a processor standpoint is more than enough and super fast since pretty much nowadays is being GPU optimised in our field.

Nonetheless, unless the new iMac Pro or Mac Pro mini can deliver great GPU performance with cores or whatever magic they have, we will need more GPU computing performance and from what I've read eGPU support is supposed to be in there too. So I suppose that for those needing extra juice you could hook more GPUs and thus drivers should be available...

Probably until Apple also gets to the point where their GPU computing units are on pair with the competition and they can phase those out.

Who knows... :D
RdNa3 is supposed to deliver even more impressive performance uplifts than RDNA2 is to the prior generation, and rdna2 is FAST. so I don’t know if or when Apple will ever catch up.

It would be so much easier to just allow mac users to use their graphics card of choice: Apple, nvidia, AMD, and of course both Intel integrated as well discrete DG2. Apple offers thunderbolt ports, and per spec, thunderbolt includes PCIe tunneling, so as long as there’s a macOS driver for a pcie device, it should work via thunderbolt.

But Apple persists in locking macOS down.

Motherboard
HP EliteBook 8470P
CPU
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3320M CPU @ 2.60GHz
Graphics
AMD Radeon 7570M (1600 x900)
I can only hope that members who have bought RX6800XT and similar cards did so for Windows and are just hoping for compatibility with macOS at some point for convenience.
I agree 100%. Reasons I bought a 6900 XT:
- Probable MacOs support
- Open source Linux GPU drivers
- Windows gaming performance

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare EXII
CPU
9900 XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
RdNa3 is supposed to deliver even more impressive performance uplifts than RDNA2 is to the prior generation, and rdna2 is FAST. so I don’t know if or when Apple will ever catch up.

It would be so much easier to just allow mac users to use their graphics card of choice: Apple, nvidia, AMD, and of course both Intel integrated as well discrete DG2. Apple offers thunderbolt ports, and per spec, thunderbolt includes PCIe tunneling, so as long as there’s a macOS driver for a pcie device, it should work via thunderbolt.

But Apple persists in locking macOS down.
Well, if you ask me... the reason things really optimised for the OS/hardware fly is because they can control every in and out of the system. Same for stability, security, etc.

I don't believe there is an "easy" solution to this, and you know where Nvidia stands regarding all this, they have their own agenda and are pushing CUDA everywhere they can... we know which path Apple has taken, and honestly I cannot blame them. Seeing how Nvidia is acting in the creative space...

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
CPU
I7-870
Graphics
HD 5870
What?

Who's software does Apple sell with Macs besides Apple software?
That's the point. Apple sells a computer that they make compatible with third party apps because it makes people want to buy their computer. Companies make their things compatible with other peoples things because it lets them sell more things.

Motherboard
MSI TRX40 Creator
CPU
AMD Threadripper 3970X
Graphics
Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Apple is a hardware company, they are not a software company. This is the reason why they only provide software that is 100% compatible to their hardware.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
That's the point. Apple sells a computer that they make compatible with third party apps because it makes people want to buy their computer. Companies make their things compatible with other peoples things because it lets them sell more things.

I don't understand what you're saying.

Apple makes Macs and macOS to run on them. Software developers make software that runs on macOS.

Apple does not make macOS compatible with software from software developers.

Apple sells a computer that they make compatible with third party apps because it makes people want to buy their computer.

By this logic, Apple should make macOS compatible with Windows apps, but they don't.

Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Extreme Omega
CPU
Core i9 10980XE
Graphics
Radeon 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
They are both, that's the whole point of Apple products.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z270M-D3H
CPU
i3-7350K OC 4.5GHz
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
They are both, that's the whole point of Apple products.
Sort of. They bundle their own software and support their own ecosystem. Macs are computers, yes, but designed to work within the ecosystem. They have absolutely no need to support random third party they don't vet. And why would Apple spend resources testing, verifying, and developing for a third party they don't work with? This isn't opensource development or community based (like Linux.)

Microsoft is not really a hardware company so their product is software and designed with a very different model. Although they are now more cloud-provider than anything.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
CPU
I7-870
Graphics
HD 5870
I don't understand what you're saying.

Apple makes Macs and macOS to run on them. Software developers make software that runs on macOS.

Apple does not make macOS compatible with software from software developers.

By this logic, Apple should make macOS compatible with Windows apps, but they don't.
They do. Bootcamp. Or they did, at least

Motherboard
Asus ROG Z690 Formula
CPU
i9-13900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Apple is just in its own world when it comes to macintosh design.

For those interested: Linux kernel hacker blogs his experiences with Apple's quirky design decisions with m1, as he tries to port m1 to linux...he documents the undocumented: https://asahilinux.org/2021/03/progress-report-january-february-2021/

Quite a fascinating journey into the heart of the new hardware, in my very humble opinion.

Last edited: