Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

It sounds like the second slot operates at PCIX8, whereas the first slot operates at PCIX16. So I would think you would want it to operate in the first slot. But unless you do a lot of intense gaming, I don't think you'll see a big difference. If you dual boot to the Windows side to game, I think you'll want to have it in the first slot.
Yup, x16 on 1st and x8 on second. Gamers Nexus did a wonderful writeup about this and actually less worried about it (TLDR ~1% difference in actual performance) - more of a question of what the heck is going on with why the mobo wouldn't want the 6800xt in the first slot? I would assume the 1080Ti working normal means the slot is working...

Yup, x16 on 1st and x8 on second. Gamers Nexus did a wonderful writeup about this and actually less worried about it (TLDR ~1% difference in actual performance) - more of a question of what the heck is going on with why the mobo wouldn't want the 6800xt in the first slot? I would assume the 1080Ti working normal means the slot is working...

Yeah, IDK why that happens. This use to happen a lot back in the olden days with ISA expansion slots. I remember having to swap cards through all the slots, trying to find the right combination.

Hi, I had no issue when swapping my 1080 for a WX9100, only had to add “pikera” boot arg.
This is my config now with two gpus -added 6800xt- and running BS 11.6.2. The cards are placed like this because it is the only way to fit them given the huge width of the 6800 and the mobo pci-slots width.

1641461157395.png

1641461199078.png

Hi guys. I had a working Big Sur 11.4 installation prior to installing my second GPU. Both are XTXH revision cards.

I had this install done remotely, so I have a rather limited understanding of hackintoshes in general so please be mindful!

What do I need to change/add in order to get my hack to boot again? I'd really rather not remove the second card as it's useful in Windows

Thank you in advance for any help

Hi guys. I had a working Big Sur 11.4 installation prior to installing my second GPU. Both are XTXH revision cards.

I had this install done remotely, so I have a rather limited understanding of hackintoshes in general so please be mindful!

What do I need to change/add in order to get my hack to boot again? I'd really rather not remove the second card as it's useful in Windows

Thank you in advance for any help

Hi @Xenon82 - Not sure if I can help you out since I don't have 2 cards. I have a couple ideas, but I'm not sure how to proceed.

- why do you have 2 cards? I didn't think these cards could be used in SLI. Or do you need 8 outputs?
- was the single card working, then when you added the second card, it failed to work?
- Do you have access to another video or someway to output a signal in order to see what is going on when you attach a card to the second slot?

Hi @ac9001

In order to spoof the id, you need to place the SSDT-BRG.aml into your ACPI folder of OpenCore, then activate it in your config.plist. Then you need to specify the card in the DeviceProperties section.

The base SSDT-BRG0 file is in the OpenCore distribution (OpenCore-0.7.6-RELEASE > OpenCore-0.7.6-RELEASE > Docs > AcpiSamples > Binaries). Because it is a minor edit, you can modify it with MaciASL. The base file specifies an ACPI path of PCI0.PEG0.PEGP, then assigns the pci-bridge as "BRG0". On your motherboard, it's a different path of PC02.BR2A.SL05, so we have to change it.

Open SSDT-BRG0.aml in MaciASL (I have version 1.6.1). You should see this:

View attachment 538177

You need to modify the path, circled in red. These should read PC02.BR2A.SL05.

View attachment 538192

Then, you save the file as "ACPI Machine Language Binary" as "SSDT-BRG0.aml" and place this file into your OC > ACPI folder in your EFI.

Now, edit your your OpenCore config.plist and activate the SSDT-BRG0 file:

View attachment 538179

Now, scroll down to your "DeviceProperties" section of your config.plist, then you will have to add the PCI path to your card, as specified in your Hackintool readout:

View attachment 538180
I think that should be it! I am attaching the modified SSDT-BRG0.aml file in case you don't want to make it.

Let me know if it works! Happy New Year!

Ted
Hey @tedyun just trying to follow your guide here to get my 6900XT working as per the needed spoofing. I've added the SSDT-BRG0.aml file and added the PCI path under DEVICE PROPERTIES>ADD however i'm unsure how to get the AAPL,slot-name, device-id and model rows to populate. Do i add these in manually? Or should these automatically get populated somehow? Do i just copy the text you have in your screenshot?

Any help appreciated! Thanks heaps.

Hey @tedyun just trying to follow your guide here to get my 6900XT working as per the needed spoofing. I've added the SSDT-BRG0.aml file and added the PCI path under DEVICE PROPERTIES>ADD however i'm unsure how to get the AAPL,slot-name, device-id and model rows to populate. Do i add these in manually? Or should these automatically get populated somehow? Do i just copy the text you have in your screenshot?

Any help appreciated! Thanks heaps.
Hi @nathanaelweir

I use a plist editor - PlistEdit Pro but there are others that are free like ProperTree or even using a text editor. You have to add the AAPL,slot-name, device-id and model fields manually. The easiest way I did it was to find another DeviceProperties entry that had the same fields, copy/paste it as a sibling, the enter all the information manually.

The AAPL,slot-name is not important I think. I believe it is just cosmetic and tells the OS what to report in the System Information application.

The device-id is important -- I think this tells WEG to spoof the 6900XT instead of the XTXH. I don't know how WEG works its magic, but this is the only spot that I'm aware of where you specify the device id of the 6900XT.

The model is not important. Again, it's cosmetic, and for the System Information application. I could be wrong though. I haven't played around with it.

With the SSDT, did you modify it properly? Because your's is an ASUS, it may have the same path as ac9001, but I would definitely check before using it.

Ted

Hey @tedyun,

So i ended up just implementing your SSDT and then added the fields to my config.plist as per your outline using Propertree. I ensured the correct PCI path as per OCC.

I have no idea if the SSDT is modified properly as you've pointed out as per my ASUS mb? But it certainly made a difference to the graphics when i implemented it.. And my About This Mac has picked up on the card.

How can i double check it's all correct? Or do you think the fact it's all working is sweet?

@nathanaelweir -- Interesting! The SSDT should be specific to the motherboard, but since ac9001's is an ASUS as well, they may use the same address. The Gigabytes seem to use the same address.

You can use Hackintool to check. Navigate to the PCIe tab, then look down the list, under "Class" for "Display controller" You should see your card.

Check under "Device" and it should have the spoofed id, "0x73BF" and the IOReg Name should be the correct path. It should end in "...BRG0@0/GFX0@0"

If you upload a screenshot of this tab, we can confirm that the spoof worked correctly.

Back