Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

View attachment 501399

UPDATE: Probably fake screenshot.. I can go back to waiting for 6800 support again :)

Trying to get more info from the guy that posted this, but anyone have any ideas here? He mentioned 11.2 beta, but version shows 11.1 RC. Also, it's showing up as Radeon RX 6800 8 Go. He said he has a 6800 AMD reference card.
I see this post yesterday on facebook, and that guy from Algeria use one of my photos with my card from facebook. I claim there is a fake post was so many contradictions between description and comments, he use fake pictures and pretend he install 11.2 beta with opencore 0.6.5 and this version is not out yet. I report him on facebook and today post was deleted and probably he is banned from that group.

kext not loaded @ macos11.1 for 6800xt, and won't boot with 6800xt.
My card rx 6800 boot up but still no acceleration. To boot you must ad on device properties device_id 73BF as DATA and will boot but no acceleration. I try in 11.2 beta and nothing :(

My card rx 6800 boot up but still no acceleration. To boot you must ad on device properties device_id 73BF as DATA and will boot but no acceleration. I try in 11.2 beta and nothing :(
I wonder if the system display is lagging or it is just no hw acc?

I wonder if the system display is lagging or it is just no hw acc?
To be honest is not so bad, is little lag but resolution is 4k even is only 31mb loaded.

To be honest is not so bad, is little lag but resolution is 4k even is only 31mb loaded.
I found it unusable. Just so slow and laggy. Any time you move your mouse pointer over something that it wants to accelerate - like the Dock for example - there's a really annoying pause. I couldn't live with it myself.

I've got my X299 system set up with two GPUs. The 6800 in PCIe slot 1, and my older Vega 64 in PCIe 3. I'm using an SSDT to disable the RX6800 in macOS, and just using the Vega 64 in that OS. Then when I boot into Windows, it's the opposite - I use the RX6800, and I've disabled the Vega 64 via Device Manager -> Disable Driver. The latter isn't strictly necessary, I could have the Vega 64 enabled as well in Windows, but I don't need it and didn't want to risk any games getting confused by the two GPUs.

This config is working OK for me, except sleep is broken. I believe that's because I haven't yet also disabled the USB hub on the 6800.

That's something rather interesting about the 6800 cards - at least the reference ones: they have a USB-C port. And it literally is a fully working USB port! I tested it out yesterday: I used a USB-C to USB-A adapter and plugged in a USB flash drive into my GPU, as weird as that sounds, and it was detected and fully working in macOS.

I can't imagine anyone needing or wanting to use their GPU as another USB hub, but if you have a reference card that is now possible. Of course it's meant for VR headsets.

It does make me wonder whether there might be any weird compatibility issues using the reference 6800s in macOS once drivers are supported. I hope that USB-C port works normally for connecting a monitor to, as I need to use all four display outputs on the card (and I wish it had more.) It's supposed to work fine and does in Windows, but I could imagine that could be a potential source of incompatibility, at least on hackintoshes - whether the USB to DisplayPort conversion works out of the box or if we will have to mess about with anything to get it to work.

I'd have preferred to get a card that didn't have the USB-C, and had 3 x DP + 1 x HDMI instead. But AIB availability has been terrible in the UK, so I bought the reference 6800 when I had the chance rather than have no new card at all.

Anyway, fingers crossed that in early 2021 we finally get some working drivers to try out.

I found it unusable. Just so slow and laggy. Any time you move your mouse pointer over something that it wants to accelerate - like the Dock for example - there's a really annoying pause. I couldn't live with it myself.

I've got my X299 system set up with two GPUs. The 6800 in PCIe slot 1, and my older Vega 64 in PCIe 3. I'm using an SSDT to disable the RX6800 in macOS, and just using the Vega 64 in that OS. Then when I boot into Windows, it's the opposite - I use the RX6800, and I've disabled the Vega 64 via Device Manager -> Disable Driver. The latter isn't strictly necessary, I could have the Vega 64 enabled as well in Windows, but I don't need it and didn't want to risk any games getting confused by the two GPUs.

This config is working OK for me, except sleep is broken. I believe that's because I haven't yet also disabled the USB hub on the 6800.

That's something rather interesting about the 6800 cards - at least the reference ones: they have a USB-C port. And it literally is a fully working USB port! I tested it out yesterday: I used a USB-C to USB-A adapter and plugged in a USB flash drive into my GPU, as weird as that sounds, and it was detected and fully working in macOS.

I can't imagine anyone needing or wanting to use their GPU as another USB hub, but if you have a reference card that is now possible. Of course it's meant for VR headsets.

It does make me wonder whether there might be any weird compatibility issues using the reference 6800s in macOS once drivers are supported. I hope that USB-C port works normally for connecting a monitor to, as I need to use all four display outputs on the card (and I wish it had more.) It's supposed to work fine and does in Windows, but I could imagine that could be a potential source of incompatibility, at least on hackintoshes - whether the USB to DisplayPort conversion works out of the box or if we will have to mess about with anything to get it to work.

I'd have preferred to get a card that didn't have the USB-C, and had 3 x DP + 1 x HDMI instead. But AIB availability has been terrible in the UK, so I bought the reference 6800 when I had the chance rather than have no new card at all.

Anyway, fingers crossed that in early 2021 we finally get some working drivers to try out.
i think ppl saw pci_id in big sur already, just the matter of time

I’m scared to install betas on my hack. If not I would totally test it out.

You could install it on another NVMe or SSD and then boot to whichever you wanted. That way you have a working release version and a test beta version.

Have you all tried booting the big Navi cards in macOS without whatevergreen ? Not that it will make a difference but just curious.

i think ppl saw pci_id in big sur already, just the matter of time
Yes the PCI IDs for Navi 21, 22 and 23 have been in the AMD kexts since the first beta of 11.1, released just after 11.0.1 went live and before the 6800/6800XT cards were even on sale. This gave us great hope that the card would be supported quickly.

Unfortunately none of the subsequent beta releases have added to that support at all. It'll come eventually I'm sure, but no clue when that might be.
Have you all tried booting the big Navi cards in macOS without whatevergreen ? Not that it will make a difference but just curious.
Yes, I have booted with and without WEG installed. The result is the same both ways.

Last edited:
Back