Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

Ok. In that case you should at least try to add the device properties what I mentioned above into OC. The memory section is especially important - without it it simply will not boot (along with the agdpmod=pikera - they must be used together). As for b) that is the speed setting of Slot 1 ie. Gen 3/Gen 4 etc. It may come under Max Link Speed under Settings section. As for g) oh it does affect it. Some systems do & don't work with iMacPro1,1, likewise with MacPro20,1 and iMac19,1.
Hi there,

thanks. i'll try. But for info, the system boots, no problem at all. It will boot and load macos. It is just during the POST that there is no video but I know the system is booting.

Some things to keep in mind:
  • During POST and BIOS, OpenCore is not running. So if there is no DP output during POST and BIOS, it means the problem lies with BIOS or with the monitor.
  • Older monitors are generally not recommended. If @emistral is using a monitor that does not support 60Hz over HDMI, it means the monitor is either quite old or it’s a low-end model. It would be best to at least test a current-generation monitor that supports both HDMI 1.2+ and DP 1.2+.
  • Because macOS itself has no problem with either DP or HDMI output, it means OpenCore settings are already okay.
Yes the monitor is quite old (2015). It is not a low end, well maybe now it is considered as a low end but at the time it was one of the first 4k@60Hz vi DP in 40" size. But the limitation at the time was HDMI@30Hz which did not bothered me because I have always used it with DP to DP. With the previous card, a 5600 XT same brand, no issue during POST. Only with the 6800XT. Agreed as well that OC has not issue since macos is working fine. I have a 49" dell ultrawide monitor that was bought last year and supports 5k@60hz. I bought it for myself to replace the one that is causing me trouble but due to the pandemic and working from home for a year, my partner decided that it was her monitor now :). so either I wait for the pandemic to be over so that I can get the monitor back or I buy a new one :)

RX 6800 XT + samsung odyssey g9: I have same problem with DP. It is a known issue of the monitor. They improve a bit the symptoms with the last monitor firmware, but the solution is to press the menu button on the monitor to keep awake on boot. It is not a bios problem or OS's.
Thanks for the info. Tried it but did not work :(

Someone wrote that PCIEX3.1 won't take your metal score to above 170k, so i just thought i'd post this to "beg to differ"

MacOS 11.4 RC

Already feel like i want 2 x 6900 XT though, since i work with heavy 3D... =)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-02 at 15.33.42.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-02 at 15.33.42.png
    121.6 KB · Views: 145
... I have connected pin 3 and 5 together, should I keep that modification on the card?
Yes, this is still necessary to enable the card when we don't use the Thunderbolt header.

Yes, this is still necessary to enable the card when we don't use the Thunderbolt header.
Thank you. Am going to reflash with the firmware you recommended and report back hopefully it will help others.

BTW regarding the TB3 header, if it's in a different slot than the mobo recommended, and if we still use the TB3 header, will it work? Or is the best solution to keep the 3/5 pin mod and remove the TB3 header cable and disable TB3 in the BIOS?

Thank you. Am going to reflash with the firmware you recommended and report back hopefully it will help others.

BTW regarding the TB3 header, if it's in a different slot than the mobo recommended, and if we still use the TB3 header, will it work? Or is the best solution to keep the 3/5 pin mod and remove the TB3 header cable and disable TB3 in the BIOS?
Some motherboards require Thunderbolt add-in-cards to be installed in a specific slot when using the Thunderbolt cable. We should always adhere to that requirement.

But if we don't use the Thunderbolt header cable, then we can install the card into any available PCIe slot that provides at least 4 PCIe lanes (i.e. PCIe x4). In this case we need to jumper the top and middle pins of the vertical J1 header in order to force power to the card. Incidentally, installing a Thunderbolt card into an electrical x8 or x16 slot is a waste because the Thunderbolt controller will not use any more than 4 lanes.

Have you tried enabling CSM Support in BIOS?
@CaseySJ I did try with CSM enabled but did not make any difference. Same problem. However one thing I tried was to disable the IGPU and connect the 6800 XT to the monitor via DP-DP. The system did not boot at all and kept beeping continuously (according to the meaning of the beeps it seems that it is either a video card error or an AGP error). After investigation I concluded that the system when IGPU is disabled and the 6800XT is connected to the monitor via DP-DP thinks that there is either no video card installed in the system or the system is not connected to any display. But if IGPU is disabled and I connect the 6800 XT to the monitor via HDMI cable, then the system boots fine.I am really starting to think that it is the monitor that is the culprit, at least when using DP to DP cable. The last thing I can try to eliminate any potential issues with the BIOS, the overall system or the 6800 XT is to connect my other more recent monitor if I can get hold of it. If that works then I'll know it is the monitor. If that fails then I don't know what else I can do.

Back