Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] 5K Resolution with AMD RX580, Dell UP2715K and Sierra 10.12.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
@XQC Is your Sleep/Wake breaking your USB or Audio function on your monitor?

Hello! I just buy 5k LCD panel from LG and it works great under windows (as it should be). But in macOS LCD doesn't work properly, because it hasn't properly tuned EDID.

Dear owners of DELL UP2715K or HP z27q PLEASE send me EDID dump of this monitors. I can't tune it properly by myself :cry::banghead:

Last edited:
Yesterday I made the switch from Nvidia 970/1070 to AMD RX580 (Sapphire RX 580 8G Nitro+)

This is my first AMD card ever and I started hackintoshing in 2013.
I bought the 5K Dell UP2715K last year and although it was working with the 970, there was this annoyance with power cycling the monitor with every reboot, otherwise it wouldn't run in 5K mode.

The real problems began with the 1070 and Sierra though. First I had to wait nearly one year for Pascal drivers. But with Sierra a new bug was introduced: The mouse cursor will be stuck to different symbols in the left panel of the monitor.

So I had the choice A: Stay with El Capitan, but can't use 1070 GPU. Choice B, upgrade to Sierra, enable the 1070 and live with the annoying mouse cursor bug. But since we're close to the sixth point release of Sierra and Nvidia still didn't fix this issue, I doubt that the bug will be fixed soon.

So I had the final choice C: Switch to AMD. Luckily for me, it was newly found that the RX580 will be natively supported in High Sierra 10.13!

First, getting 5K to work is a real PITA with this thing, because there's so little documentation on the internet with AMD, Macs and 5K monitors. I had to spent (literally!) a whole day figuring out a working solution. I had basic acceleration, but the two panels of the UP2715K are recognized as two different monitors.

Having said that, 5K works with my hackintosh now 100% without any issues - no power cycling, no mouse cursor bugs! Unfortunately, I had to sacrifice the 1070's GPU power, but I rather take the 30-40% performance cut for a working 5K solution without any bugs or hassles!

View attachment 262435 View attachment 262436
DISCLAIMER:
- I won't start at the beginning – I'll assume that you know how to use Clover Configurator and you got the basic acceleration working with your helper card and your AMD GPU (Thread)
- I won't give support in this thread, I just wanted to share for others how I got it to work.
- I know that there are other ways to enable 5K with AMD GPUs (described by @LostVector and @Azimuth1 in other threads), but these methods didn't work for me!

My hardware:

- Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3
- Intel i7 6700K Skylake (Intel HD530 GPU)
- AMD RX580 (Sapphire RX 580 8G Nitro+)

Step 0:
Required / Recommended Apps:
Textmate, Kext Utility, Clover Configurator
Make a backup of AMD9510Controller.kext from S/L/E and your Clover configuration, just in case.

Step 1:
SMBIOS:
The only SMBIOS configs that worked for me were either MacMini(7,1) or MacPro(6,1)! Obviously I would go for the MacPro config. I had no luck with iMac(17,1)!

Step 2:
Editing the Info.plist in AMD9510Controller.kext. I use Textmate, because it allows you to directly edit and save the file in the S/L/E folder (use with caution though).
Besides adding 0x67DF1002 for basic acceleration, the crucial part is to switch both CFG_USE_AGDC values to true. It seems that this is the MST switch to merge both panels of the monitor to one display.
After editing, you have to open Kext Utility and it will refresh the Kernel cache automatically.

Step 3:
Copy the according settings from these Clover Configurator screenshots. These are the only relevant settings for getting 5K to work. I didn't use any on-the-fly kext patches.

View attachment 262447

View attachment 262446

View attachment 262445

View attachment 262444

View attachment 262442

After a restart, I got the full 5K glory shining upon me!

View attachment 262453

Bonus (optional):
Enabling all 36 cores of the RX580 (otherwise capped at 16 cores):
1. download this script: https://www.theitsage.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/enable-baffin-CUs.sh_.zip
2. Terminal: chmod +x enable-baffin-CUs.sh
3. Terminal: sudo ./enable-baffin-CUs.sh baffin 36
4. Reboot.

If your using FCPX , i m interested to know bruceX benchmark result with rx580
:)

I'm super excited because I finally penciled out the time to install High Sierra and it fixes some major issues with multimonitor and multiple video cards. At least 10.13.5 does.

1. There was always a once per second stutter with multiple monitors attached to more than one video card if "Displays have separate spaces" was enabled. This appears to be gone.

2. displaypolicyd can now attach to all cards instead of just one video adapter. This is important because if you have multiple MST monitors (I have triple Dell UP2715K's), you could not drive all of them at native resolution without having enough ports on a single card. I realize this is an extremely rare situation for most people, but I for one am super excited to see it working. I suspected Apple would have to make this work with the advent of eGPU support, and it appears I was right.

This also means I can now purchase a single high end GPU and drive my main monitor with it for gaming/performance, and use some lower end cards to drive the side monitors. The Vega generation of cards basically never have more than 3 displayport's on a card unless you purchase the Radeon Pro line (which I have no need of). Now, I can do something quite reasonable like a Vega 56 for the center monitor and reuse my FirePro's for the sides.

Success!

Dell UP2715K, Lenovo S30 Workstation, Intel Xeon 2697v2, 64MB RAM, Sapphire Pulse RADEON RX 580, macOS Mojave 10.14.

The Radeon card replaced my old nVidia GTX960 since there's no WebDriver for macOS Mojave.
I have a modified DSDT which rename the graphics card's name according RehabMan's guide.

Clover settings: the difference between mine and the author is my CPU doesn't have an Intel GPU, so no IGPU injection.
No driver modification. No frame buffer injection. No second "support-GPU" needed.

Everything works like charm. I used to power cycle the monitor in order to make a MTS connection for nVidia's webDriver, now I can skip this step.

Thanks!

Success!

Dell UP2715K, Lenovo S30 Workstation, Intel Xeon 2697v2, 64MB RAM, Sapphire Pulse RADEON RX 580, macOS Mojave 10.14.

The Radeon card replaced my old nVidia GTX960 since there's no WebDriver for macOS Mojave.
I have a modified DSDT which rename the graphics card's name according RehabMan's guide.

Clover settings: the difference between mine and the author is my CPU doesn't have an Intel GPU, so no IGPU injection.
No driver modification. No frame buffer injection. No second "support-GPU" needed.

Everything works like charm. I used to power cycle the monitor in order to make a MTS connection for nVidia's webDriver, now I can skip this step.

Thanks!

Which RehabMan's guide are you referring? I can’t get 5K working with RX580 on Mojave... I’ve tried everything I’ve found but the display still appears as 2 monitor.

Thank you!

Which RehabMan's guide are you referring? I can’t get 5K working with RX580 on Mojave... I’ve tried everything I’ve found but the display still appears as 2 monitor.

Thank you!

Well, resolved. RX 580 + Mojave working in 5k without any additional patch...!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back