Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] 5K Resolution with AMD RX580, Dell UP2715K and Sierra 10.12.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just switched from gtx960 to amd rx580..all works fine..

Which Manufacturer? Asus, Gigabyte?
I suspect my XFX maybe part of the problem.

Asus....yes.XFX is not top priority for hack

Awesome, thanks! Yeah it's been a pain in the a@@.
Ordered an MSI on Amazon. Will try again when it arrives.

The sleep, wake from sleep, monitor wake, pc wake, everything works?

Well maybe I'll sell my damn GTX 1060

I tried the RX 580 but had a few issues. First, it took a lot of trial and error to figure out my Lilu & whatevergreen kexts had to be in the /L/E/ folder to solve black screen issues (not just the EFI...KEXTS/OTHER folder). While the RX was easier to setup than my Nvidia card, it wasn't by much in my case.

I also couldn't get 60hz in 4K on a new Samsung TV. Unlike Windows, MacOS is fussy about 4K monitors and not all work well. I got 30hz no problem, but at that rate, fast moving video/screen objects looks choppy. Hacks exist for Nvidia but didn't see them for AMD.

I'm disappointed...I'd love to have the RX for Final Cut X. But I want the 1080Ti for Windows VR games. Right now, I can't get them to co-exist in the same machine so will likely return the RX.

I tried the RX 580 but had a few issues. First, it took a lot of trial and error to figure out my Lilu & whatevergreen kexts had to be in the /L/E/ folder to solve black screen issues (not just the EFI...KEXTS/OTHER folder). While the RX was easier to setup than my Nvidia card, it wasn't by much in my case.

I also couldn't get 60hz in 4K on a new Samsung TV. Unlike Windows, MacOS is fussy about 4K monitors and not all work well. I got 30hz no problem, but at that rate, fast moving video/screen objects looks choppy. Hacks exist for Nvidia but didn't see them for AMD.

I'm disappointed...I'd love to have the RX for Final Cut X. But I want the 1080Ti for Windows VR games. Right now, I can't get them to co-exist in the same machine so will likely return the RX.

Probably the 4K 60hz on the TV depends on the HDMI, and macOS doesn't work well with HDMI2.0, so you have to use DP to HDMI adapter.
I have the 5K monitor that's why I am planning to switch from the 1060.

Probably the 4K 60hz on the TV depends on the HDMI, and macOS doesn't work well with HDMI2.0, so you have to use DP to HDMI adapter.
I have the 5K monitor that's why I am planning to switch from the 1060.

Yeah have the Club3D display port adapter but doesn’t help with AMD. I can only get 60hz 4K with Nvidia and that requires a couple of patches.

I suspect it may have to do with the monitor profiles in MacOS. If I had a Apple supported computer monitor like an LG, I think it would work. But since my Samsung 4K TV has no profile (or just a generic one), the 60hz resolutions aren’t programmed in/supported. I see there are ways to modify the profile for resolution but nobody seems to know much about Hz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back