Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] 5K Resolution with AMD RX580, Dell UP2715K and Sierra 10.12.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really nice, maybe I will switch from GTX 1060 to RX 480 then

Reactions: XQC
Every 5K monitor at the market right now needs 2 cables, since Displayport 1.2 only supports 4k resolutions at max. So it has two signals which the GPU merges to one 5K display – and that right here is the difficulty with a hackintosh, because at default it actually shows two different monitors in the settings, each at QHD resolution. You need to find the switch hidden deep within the drivers. And since these monitors are pretty niche, bug fixes are not a priority for Apple, Nvidia or AMD.
The only exception is the LG 5K monitor officially advertised by Apple with one thunderbolt cable, but thunderbolt is in turn nearly non-present in the PC market.

My RX580 card has Displayport 1.4 connections which even support up to 8K/60Hz with only one cable, but there's no DP 1.4 monitor in the market yet.

Actually you can get 8K (7680 x 4320 30Hz) via one DP1.4 cable from the Dell UP3218K monitor but to get 8K at 60 HZ for that monitor, you use two cables. It costs around $5K.

Reactions: XQC
I have two questions.

1. Do you dual boot? Right now I have 3dp connected to my monitor (1 mDP and 2DP), so I switch to 4k, go to clover, and can dual boot easy. Can you do the same like using the iGPU/HDMI/DP on the Sapphire?

2. So you just boot and get to 5k? No power cycling no stuff?

@nunziantimo

1. Dual boot is possible, but not quite exactly how you describe. You need a helper card defined as primary GPU in order to boot macOS, in my case it's the iGPU. It's hooked up via HDMI to my TV, since my mainboard doesn't have DP and the Dell only has DP inputs. So I can only see the POST screen (and Clover) if I turn on the TV. I can select Windows from there. No problems with Windows after this.
You're more lucky if your mainboard has DP, so you could connect your mDP cable to that.

2. Yes, exactly. I just push the button on the PC and it boots straight to 5K without further actions. I just don't have the POST screen on the Dell and only on TV, but since I boot 99% to macOS, it doesn't bother me.

@nunziantimo

1. Dual boot is possible, but not quite exactly how you describe. You need a helper card defined as primary GPU in order to boot macOS, in my case it's the iGPU. It's hooked up via HDMI to my TV, since my mainboard doesn't have DP and the Dell only has DP inputs. So I can only see the POST screen (and Clover) if I turn on the TV. I can select Windows from there. No problems with Windows after this.
You're more lucky if your mainboard has DP, so you could connect your mDP cable to that.

2. Yes, exactly. I just push the button on the PC and it boots straight to 5K without further actions. I just don't have the POST screen on the Dell and only on TV, but since I boot 99% to macOS, it doesn't bother me.

Yes my mobo has DP, so I can definitely do that. If I ever feel like going to AMD. I feel ok with my 1060, the boot cycle doesn't bother me, neither the pointer bug (I managed to have it only at boot and rarely, like once every 3/4h, and with an hot corner I fix it)

Yes my mobo has DP, so I can definitely do that. If I ever feel like going to AMD. I feel ok with my 1060, the boot cycle doesn't bother me, neither the pointer bug (I managed to have it only at boot and rarely, like once every 3/4h, and with an hot corner I fix it)
Really good for you, the mouse pointer bug was unbearable for me – I couldn't get rid of it. Whether I used hot corner sleep or screensaver or deactivated the shaking mouse feature, the mouse pointer bug occured in the next minute.

@XQC

i have gigabyte rx 580 8gb and dell p2715q monitor. would this tandem work? thanks

@XQC
i have gigabyte rx 580 8gb and dell p2715q monitor. would this tandem work? thanks
It's a normal 4K monitor with one displayport cable... should be no problem.

It's a normal 4K monitor with one displayport cable... should be no problem.

the thing is until now, i can't make my rx 580 work on my hackintosh :(

Has anybody tried the same setup on High Sierra? Just thinking of buying a new monitor and the refurbished Dell one is selling in my local store for 800$. And the question is, if the MST mode works in High Sierra without the kext editting :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back