Contribute
Register

[Success] 5k High Sierra | GA-H170N-WIFI | GTX-960 | Dell UP2715K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ahendarman,

Thank you for sharing this. I've also upgraded to 10.13.6 past week-end and had the same conclusions...:
- Voodoo kext was the only solution to have audio working
- I was using Lilu on 10.13.4 with the boot arg (for 5K display), but added WhateverGreen
- Did not patched USB yet, but the mentioned patch worked for me on 10.13.4

hi grtdemo,

I am on 10.13.6, the USB 3.0 kext patch is different than 10.13.4 as described in the link above.

My iMessage also works now by setting the UUID and Board serial number in SMBIOS section using MultiBeast.

I think I have everything works perfectly now, except for Handoff and Apple Watch unlock, which I read are not easy to setup.

Thanks again for your guide and your hard work. Cheers

Hello,

After I read this post, I am really impressed and appreciated about everything that you guys effortlessly put in. I was struggling to make my first hackintosh Desktop few days ago.

However, I could make it easily and quickly because of your knowledge. Also, I have few questions about that M2 SSD will work similar to SataSSD right? And then, which is kext that I am able to use regular onboard wifi of this mainboard and i3-8400 need to choose which one in SMBIOS?
Thank you so much.

Hello,

However, I could make it easily and quickly because of your knowledge. Also, I have few questions about that M2 SSD will work similar to SataSSD right? And then, which is kext that I am able to use regular onboard wifi of this mainboard and i3-8400 need to choose which one in SMBIOS?
Thank you so much.

- M2 SSD will work the same way as 2.5" SSD, as long as you can see it during install, then you're good to go
- The onboard wifi is Intel, will never work
- i3-8400 is a Coffee Lake CPU which won't work with this board, you can use Skylake (6 series) or Kabylake (7 series) instead

hope it helps,

hi grtdemo,

Thanks for this guide, followed this over the weekend on my El Capitan H170N build. I have been holding off to upgrade but thanks to your guide, I did it. Everything that I care about works on 10.13.6

A couple things that differ from your guide

- The USB flash drive has to be USB 2.0

- USB 3.0 works using this guide : https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-high-sierra-10-13-4-usb-3-0-problems.250272/ , reply #4

- The audio works using Voodoo kext (version 2.9.1) : https://sourceforge.net/projects/voodoohda/
- install only the 100/200/300 Series Audio Support using MultiBeast, then install the Voodoo kext

- Sleep works using WhateverGreen kext (version 1.2.0) : https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/releases
- also need Lilu kext (version 1.2.5) : https://github.com/acidanthera/Lilu/releases
- use boot arg "ngfxpatch=pikera"

- iMessage works by setting the UUID and Board serial number in SMBIOS section using MultiBeast
- UUID can be generated randomly using uuidgen in Terminal
- Board serial number is "Serial Number (12-digit) + random 5 digit number"

My hardware :
GA H170N-WIFI, Skylake i7 6700, 16GB Crucial DDR4, 2TB Micron 1100 SSD, BCM94352Z DW1560 Wifi, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HiSense 43" 4K TV/Monitor, High Sierra 10.13.6

Is your audio working well?

On my setup, with Voodoo all system alert sounds aren't playing, and in general sound is very random...
Sleep and USB 3 working fine.

Is your audio working well?

On my setup, with Voodoo all system alert sounds aren't playing, and in general sound is very random...
Sleep and USB 3 working fine.

Audio works well enough, it has some static and distortion in the low frequency range (bass).
I have yet to figure out how to fix it. It's fine for low volume and for general use.

Audio works well enough, it has some static and distortion in the low frequency range (bass).
I have yet to figure out how to fix it. It's fine for low volume and for general use.

It was not fine enough for me, even for general use, so I spent a little time on it. I have now everything working, but to be honest I can't explain how it works... What I did:

- Removed Voodoo
- Removed NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext
- Updated Lilu.kext and Whatevergreen.kext in /Library/Extensions/ with the latest version, restarded.

At this step, audio started working perfectly :eek:, but I lost 5k resolution (showing as 2 displays). Tried to fix it with various flags and configs without success.

So I finally added back NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext. This made my build rebooting endless...

Finally removed Whatevergreen.kext, and now to my surprise audio is still working perfectly and I have 5k resolution!

I thought that Whatevergreen.kext was replacing NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext. But in my case I could not get 5K resolution working.

First, thanks for the awesome guide. I am up and running thanks to your hard work.

Second, just as an FYI on the Format Drive Step in Disk Util before installing High Sierra, I had to select "Show All Devices" in the top left of the Disk Util window drop down. I could not get the option to set the boot record as GUID and then I realized it was only showing me the partition of my drive, rather than the overall drive itself.

Thank you for your comment and the information regarding the format drive step.

I'll probably write an updated guide as soon I've installed Mojave :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back