GA-Z97-HD3
CPU
i5-4790K
Graphics
ASUS GTX 780 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
Hi everybody!

Recently got my first hackintosh up and running. Before this I had owned 2 iMacs, 1 MacBook and a MacBook Pro. Since I’m a cheapass at heart and handy with tinkering, I decided my next machine would be self-built. This machine will used for music production; the GPU is actually an overkill for my setup, but when i found it used for 50€ I decided to grab it since do just a bit of gaming too. I’ve been sticking (and will stick) with Mavericks for awhile now because it currently has the best compatibility among DAWs: Mavericks runs PT10, Logic X and Ableton 9. Here’s the build:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3

CPU: 4670K (bought used)

CPU Cooling: Arctic Cooling Freezer i11

GPU:Asus GTX 560Ti (bought used)

Memory: 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz

HDs: Samsung 850 EVO 250Gt SSD (For OS X) & Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HD (for samples and Win7)

PSU: Corsair VS650

Tower: Fractal Define R5

Monitor:Acer K222 21,5’’ Full HD Led Screen

Extras: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 and DeLock PCI Firewire 400 exp. card

Bootloader: Clover UEFI (using this guide)

Since I didn’t own anything already, the overall cost rose up around 920€. 3-4 years down the line I definitely plan on NOT upgrading the case, monitor and the PSU. :D[

Piecing the thing together was fairly straightforward, however it’s kinda intimidating the hardest part comes first: seating the CPU cooler. I had some trouble getting the screws in, thought I had broken them.

Installation:
Setting up the clover installation was surprisingly simple, I just followed the Mavericks Clover Guide to the letter and the Mavericks 10.9.0 USB installer I had prepared booted on the first try! I downloaded the config.plist-GE=Yes-NVIDIA.zip and managed to get the boot via GPU DVI (apparently that can be bit troublesome with older graph cards). Here’s what my settings looked like in Clover Configurator when I booted the USB:

Clover USB1.png Clover USB2.png Clover USB3.png Clover USB4.png

Ethernet:
Post-installation majority of the stuff worked OOB. Audio and Ethernet didn’t. I knew I’d likely need to tinker with the audio but the RealtekRTL8111 not working got me bit worried. However once I updated the OS to 10.9.5 (did it right away since I had the airport working), the ethernet port started working normally.

Audio:
Getting the audio work was really pita. I tried every single method from the Realtek ALC AppleHDA [guide] (GA-Z97-HD3 has Realtek 887 as onboard audio) with no avail. Most of them ”sort of” enabled audio; the system wouldn’t report missing audio but when I’d play music from itunes the seeker wouldn’t move forward (also Pro Tools reported it doesn’t support sampler ate of 0 Mhz)! Finally VoodooHDA for Mavericks put in the EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.9 (copied from S/L/E after installation) fired up the audio. I don't have any HDMI devices so I have no idea if the HDMI ports are working (probably not! :D)

GPU:
Like so many I also suffered from the Nvidia GTX Fermi Freeze (shows up in Console as NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!, that’s what you get when you don’t do your homework). Freeze Fix and setting it up as log-in item solved the issue.

SMBIOS:
The machine is ID’d as a ”late 2013 27’’ iMac” without me touching the SMBIOS. I managed to get the system non-bootable (stop sign) once by tampering with the SMBIOS within Clover Configurator, setting it up as Mac Pro 4,1. Decided to leave it alone after first failure! :D Now that I’m tampering with overclocking the ID simply shows it as ”iMac” (and I actually have some shutdown issues if I push my clock beyond 4 Ghz, I’ll make another thread about it eventually).

App Store:
I actually managed to screw up my migration from my old iMac (migrated without deleting the current user) which manifested as all kinds of permission issues. Had reinstall the OS and remigrate! :D While setting the system up the second time App Store and it’s Software Update suddenly stopped working after doing the Combo Update. It didn’t show the newest Security Update which you can only get after installing the Combo Update. After some googling turned out I had somehow managed to screw up my network configuration so that my ethernet wasn’t configured to ”en0” anymore. After some meddling which involved ”removing” the adapters in system preferences and adding them back and probably a bunch of reboots (Curse you Spider-Man!) I finally got them right. Still the App Store wouldn’t work! So I downloaded the Security Update from Apple’s site and installed it manually. After that the rest of the updates (Safari, ARD etc.) showed up within App Store.

Clover is fantastic! I was annoyed when I couldn’t set up native UEFI bootcamp in my old mid-2010 iMac. Right now I have 10.9.5 + Win 7 Dual-boot UEFI system and I’m happy. However I find the information about Clover a bit lacking and spread out. If the site plans on moving towards supporting Clover in the future installations (as is implied here and there) the documentation needs to more thorough. There’s lot of info on how to get stuff working in the Chimera but not on Clover. I’m planning on sharing my experiences with Clover as I go along.

Some updates:

I managed to get the internal GPU HD4600 working. Initially I had issues with the HD4600 enabled from BIOS; boot would hang at "missing bluetooth" message when booting verbose. By downloading the Azul-10.9.5-9series-fixed from here, installing it with Kext Wizard and adding "0d220003" as "ig-platform-id" into my Clover Config got it working.

I've overclocked the machine to 4,4 GHz with Vcore of 1,25 (Ring Bus is 4,0 GHz and Vbus 1,2V). This setup passed stress tests under Windows. However in OSX Prime95 benchmark crashes this machine (crash report mentions CPUPowermanagement.kext). However Geekbench3 stress test doesn't crash the machine (I can't get Cinebench start on this machine). So far it hasn't crashed on me as long as I won't start Prime95.

Geekbench3 (64-bit) score is 14246. I ran the benchmark while typing this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back