Media Server

Components

ASROCK H97 PRO
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KAY66NG/
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157511

Intel i3-4330 3.5GHz 4600 Graphics
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EUUN76U/
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116945

CORSAIR Vengeance LP 4GB (2 x 2GB) 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory (CML4GX3M2A1600C9)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0056J1GTO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233187

CORSAIR Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory (CML8GX3M2A1600C9)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00569K7LM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233186

TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007GMPZ0A/
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704133

3 TB SEAGATE HDD 3 DRIVES
1 TB SEAGATE HDD 1 DRIVE

Already Owned

128 GB Samsung 840 Pro
3 TB SEAGATE HDD
1 TB SEAGATE HDD
SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Comments

I built this for all our iTunes Collection with our photos, movies, tv shows, home videos in one place and not worry about it on different pc's and wanted a low cost build, if I didn't screw up my ram, would have gotten this build for $300.

Took me a few days getting to see what I was doing wrong why my CPU integrated Graphics being stuck at 7MB Display Screen, finally getting the Graphics to work.

About the Build
Case. Perfect silent case for a perfect hosting media place to store stuff, no problems with it except for getting the small box they jabbed in on the last button rack of the HDD rack out of its hinges.

Motherboard (tonymacx86 Buyer’s Guide List). I was a bit nervous getting this motherboard to Hackintosh it, when other people got the version above it but the built-in WiFi wouldn’t work because the WiFi was Intel which is not support by Apple's OS X. Other than that, it would’ve been nice to have thou if it did work.

CPU (onymacx86 Buyer’s Guide List). I was bit more nervous getting this CPU because people complain about it shouldn’t be up on the Buyer’s Guide List. But, I went on and getting it anyway.

Memory. I accidentally got 2x2GB Corsairs when Yosemite would crash the system by freezing up. So, I bought the next step up of 2x4GB Corsairs, probably saved me some money in the long end. But I’m cool with it just in case my brother or I go Windows XP on it.

WiFi. I have it and works but nothing beats LAN which I have now hooked up and very fast. -June 22, 2016

PSU. It came from my last Hackintosh/Windows 7/Windows XP system, and, yes, bit over wattage than what this PC really needed.

Storage. 1TB & 3TB Seagate HHDs coming from my main Hackintosh and moving to this system. 128GB Samsung 840 Pro coming from my system with Windows 7 being replaced with my 256GB Samsung 850 Pro. May buy another 2 HDDs Seagate 1TB & 3TB for backups in case they fail.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shutting down/rebooting takes 2 seconds

Setup for El Capitan 10.11.3

No Flags, Booted from USB 8GB Micro USB Drive and installed OS X, then "Things Used" in ordered I did

Pasted_Graphic.jpg

UPDATE:::
June 22, 2016, I Have my audio working by Step 6
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/u...orted-intel-based-pc.172672/#alt_post_install

Previous Issues Before were
7MB Display / yes n no Audio after fixing the Display, Then when erasing the disk and starting over, the Display would be fine but no Audio, go fig.

After audio I used Clover Configurator again and checked injecting my intel for the proper display 1536Mb after a reboot, my audio is gone, reinstalling the Audio Clover.CMD didn't help until I refreshed the usb drive and rerunning UniBeast again.

On We Go!

Things Used in Ordered:
-1. Clover_v2.3k_r3320-UEFI.pkg (Link)
-2. CustoMac Essentials.pkg (Link #1^)
-3. Clover Configurator (Link)
-4. audio_cloverALC-110_v1.0r10.command (Link)
-5. MultiBeast (Link)
-6. Config-bkup.plist
-7. audio_realtekALC-110_v1.0o1.command

Make a backup of #3. Clover Configurator "Config.plist" rename it to "6. Config-bkup.plist", you will need it when you update from 10.11.3 to 10.11.5 skipping 10.11.4.

You will need this later bc the config you made is only 3KB while the others will be 2KB and 4KB, your backup 3KB will gain some size to 4KB later on after reinstalling your audio after updating to 10.11.5

After 3x failed to get the audio working when somehow after re installing the micro usb installation with UniBeast the 2nd time bc I just wanted to have a refresh state of the Micro USB Drive to erase whatever that was causing me issues when i ran into getting into setup with the apple logo progress stuck at guessing 75-95% also bc of when installing the Audio CloverALC 110 v1.0r10 never prompted me with questions no more even after reinstalling it, refresh your usb drive, so after that, I looked online for audio from other forums witched 2 from here helped me or at least i think it did.

So I used witch might have been the same configuration as "audio_cloverALC-110_v1.0r10.command" yet again then I used MultiBeast 8.2.3

Only thing I checked off and only selected
>Realtek ALCxxx
>>ALC892
>>>Build

System Preferences
..Now i have
>Internal Speakers
>>Output
>>>Internal Speakers
..along with other stuff now and my input is now showing.

Now I wish I recorded this after failing 3 other times with it and said screw it... oh well, I hope you get your's working.

I'm happy I got this Media Center Build to El Capitan but my 1st build is still in Mavericks and now Apple is about to release there New MacOS, Better late than Never I guess. Now my main pc lost sound just trying to get this build working, either that it was installing some updates I did recently and now noticed when playing a video file for my media center. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: I can't win can I? LOL!

Edit #2:
UPDATING 10.11.3 TO 10.11.5

You will Loose audio once again. Make sure you made that "6. Config-bkup.plist" backup before upgrading to 10.11.5.

Don't reinstall the "#4. audio_cloverALC-110_v1.0r10.command" yet or you will see a bunch of fail markers reaching over <#1000

1. Open Clover Configurator
2. Mount the EFI Partition
- "disk0s1"
3. Close it but leave it open in your Dock
4. Copy that "6. Config-bkup.plist"
5. "Open a New Finder"
-EFI Partition
--EFI
---Clover
ok, at this part you may have 3 different Config files at sizes 3KB and 2 4KB sizes,
rename those as backups in order like this

copy your "6. Config-bkup.plist" config here and rename it "Config.plist".
6. Open "#4. audio_cloverALC-110_v1.0r10.command"
7. Install/Reboot
8. Run MultiBeast and

Reboot
9.run item #7. audio_realtekALC-110_v1.0o1.command
Reboot

You will have the audio, these are the steps I took to get it working, re-running multiBeast again for the 2nd time may not be needed but this was the time the way I did it and still fresh in my mind of how I got the audio working again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Setup for Maverick
Setup Installation

My 1st Attempt
Step 0: BIOS Default
Step 1: Installation
USB GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=1

Step 2: HDD/SSD ----autoload for me (with/without USB stick or a press on the keyboard) idk how i manage to do that.

I got a crappy picture loading the login screen and loading the desktop
then the CPU gave me graphics of 7MB, so my Second Attempt.....
========================================================

My 2nd Attempt
Step 0: BIOS Default
Step 1: Installation
USB GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=1 <- I didn't repartition the drive so I just erase the drive
-Continue the installation
-Reboot

Step 2: HDD/SSD----Wouldn't autoload for me
No boot flags

Step 3: OSX YOSEMITE SETUP

Step 4: MultiBeast 7.2.0

Step 5: Reboot

Step 6: HDD/SSD
I couldn't boot w/o boot flags due to nanosec KP. Then:
GraphicsEnabler=Yes..or...-X < and fix the current configuration. Then I was able to boot up perfectly.

Step 7: Reboot
Boots up without USB stick & no boot flags

Step 8: Login Screen
My kb didn't work but mouse did work. I plugged my kb out and back in the same USB spot.

Shutting down/rebooting takes 2 seconds

Attachments

• IMG_0237.jpg
    IMG_0237.jpg
    463 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
I HAVE A LOT OF QUESTIONS SINCE IM NEW ON THIS.

BUT MY FIRST ONE IS, DID YOU WERE ABLE TO SETUP YOUR DVI PORT IN ORDER TO BOOT NORMALLY (WITH OUT -X) OR WHICH PORT DID YOU USE FOR YOUR MONITOR?

tHANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR POST

I HAVE A LOT OF QUESTIONS SINCE IM NEW ON THIS.

BUT MY FIRST ONE IS, DID YOU WERE ABLE TO SETUP YOUR DVI PORT IN ORDER TO BOOT NORMALLY (WITH OUT -X) OR WHICH PORT DID YOU USE FOR YOUR MONITOR?

tHANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR POST

Strange reasons due to my case, when I 1st trying to get this work, my HDMI wasn't working very well and so I had to use the VGA port, but now I have no problems using HDMI.

Looks great! Good job~
Thanks!

[1/16/16]
I've gone back trying to get this build with the sound working, so far MultiBeast doesn't help at all, still having the issue, I'll try and post my recent MultiBeast I've used with no problems betting up.

Weird thing is that everything works including the NIC before MultiBeast but once after a few things added, after a reboot, my NIC no longer works so I don't know whats going on there but once installing one of the NIC's from MultiBeast, it works.

Sorry for not coming back, I've been in some projects of my own with my main hackintosh for this build meant for, serves all of our TV shows/movies, basically a server like EMBY/PLEX/Kodi, holds our stuff from an non windows. I don't have to worry about security.

Redoing this PC and work no flags with using Clover. Still used to the other to boot it up, not clover.

I have Fixed my Audio by using Step 6 instead of using MultiBeast.
Issues at the moment is 7MB Display.

edit, got my display working and now my audio isn't working, GGGAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! One simple checked in Clover Configurator to inject Intel, my audio and configuration is gone, reinstall the cmd and still doesn't display any audio.

Last edited:
I have Successfully updated an i3 4330 to the latest OSX with Sound and is possible to do.

Main purpose is to store our media: Movies, TV Shows, Music, Pictures. Running Emby.

Ram in my BIOS says 1600.

But it is super fast for what is used for, possibly for some light gaming from the Mac Store. No Graphics Card but I might add a small less expensive card.

Haven't tested yet.

Facetime Works

Only problems with this system so for is iMessage not able to send msg's that are being used with ipods and have enabled with iPhones, iPads, iPods, and Mac wiht'n the ipod's settings. Turn off and on. But am able to sign in.

Other issue is Map Location.

At the moment, I'm getting this Hackintosh to boot from the drive without the USB stick and go throu the ssd and not the normal DOS cannot find boot device.

SO THERE YOU HAVE IT!

Pasted_Graphic.jpg

To my understanding on using this Motherboard and CPU for the use I was using for this PC build ran good very well, maybe a 5-10% slowness due to the 2 core i3 4330 but it was great running which to me i was scared on using due to reviews. I did it.

Will I ever do somthing that seems impossible like this to do again? Probably Not!!

Why?
To have more Room and Hmp.

The Problem
Everything ran great, after I bought another screen so I can have Windows and Hackintosh from my 2 build pc'I had build.
I turned the systems off and hit the PSU switch and moved it while I clean my room. When I plugged it back in and flip the switch, the pc turn itself on with no screen and the power button wasn't responding to cmd, after 3 try's I hit the switch again and unplug my HDD's and it kept turning itself on which everyone know's it should not have done that. I had the Auto Power On set to OFF. Then it would no longer power on. I've tested everything and tested with my PSU and Power Button, Nothing. Only light was my Ethernet Port Light. So long story Short, the motherboard and possibly my CPU has passed on, while assuming my HDD/SDD is safe. Went a trip to MicroCenter and there tech support (waisted $39.99 for somthing I already knew). Waited a week and gone back, Sad part is, 2015 Motherboard + CPU doesn't exist anymore, so I stuck with a gift card.

Solution
Next Build will be a stronger build. Better Motherboard and a i5 at Best.

2nd Problem
What CPU with what Motherboard and getting new RAM + PSU.

PS...
Never had the Chance to test out macOS Sierra

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back