Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z97X-UD5H rev. 1.0
CPU
Graphics
EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 (not Ti)
SUCCESS: Clover Z97X-UD5H HD 4600 IGP

tonymacx86 Clover Yosemite guide

I followed tonymacx86's guide to the letter. There's very little to note in this process that isn't covered in that guide. I used:
  • a 16 GB USB 3.0 flash drive, MicroCenter's house brand
  • AppleIntelE1000e.kext and no DSDT or SSDT.
  • FAT32 for the EFI partition.
  • config.plist-Intel-HD4600-desktop.zip from the guide's attachments.
  • the first of the two Clover options (Custom Install: UEFI-Capable Systems) at post-install
At this point, OS X could not make the Ethernet adapter work—that's next.

lexone's config.plist tweaking guide

After that I followed lexone's config.plist tweaking guide to the letter. After this, OS X could find the Intel Ethernet adapter and it worked. The mobo audio appears in System Preferences but I haven't tested if it works since I don't use it (I have a class-compliant USB audio DAC/ADC). I haven't bothered trying to make the Qualcomm Ethernet chip work—I don't need it.

But the sensors for HWMonitor.app were missing. While experimenting I made some mistakes that involved breaking boot and killing the Ethernet but in the end I found a procedure worth documenting.

Installing FakeSMC, Sensor and Intel Ethernet kexts

1. In MultiBeast Yosemite edition, choose the following:
    • Drivers → Misc → FakeSMC v6.14.1364
    • Drivers → Misc → FakeSMC v6.14.1364 Plugins
    • Drivers → Network → AppleIntelE1000e v3.1.0a
    • Build → Install → Agree etc…
  2. Mount your EFI volume (I use Clover Configurator)
  3. Once MultiBeast is done, in the console...
Code:
cd /System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext/Contents/Plugins/
sudo mv * /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10/
cd ..
sudo rmdir Plugins
cd ../..
sudo mv FakeSMC.kext AppleIntelE1000e.kext /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10/

After a reboot my network and HWMonitor.app are working.

That's all for this guide. The following is background info.

Yosemite freezes history and future work

The reason for upgrading to Yosemite was that after installing Security Update 2015-001 on Mavericks, I needed to safe boot to reinstall the Intel 9 Series HD 4600 Graphics Fix and reboot after each shutdown or halt There is no native support for 9-Series in Mavs but there is in Yossy—so I hoped for an improvement.

I installed 10.10.2 without issues using UniBeast/MultiBeast but after this I was experiencing frequent system freezes. Reading the forums here, the most common propositions are:

• Memory incomatibility with mobo. So I got a new deck of four 8GB Crucial Tactical BLT8G3D1608DT1TX0 sticks which are listed by Gigabyte as tested at 1600 MHz in a config of 4 with the Z97X-UD5H. The frequent freeze problem did not go away.
  • PSU incompatibile with Intel Haswell CPU requirements. My Corsair CX430 claims to meet these requirements.
  • Judging from this Yosemite totally freeze thread, it seems a lot of folk cleared up their problems by moving to a Clover install.
I think the possible causes for frequent freezing after installing Yosemite are:

1. Software. Perhaps something about the UniBeast/MultiBeast Yosemite install is not working right in some people's systems. This might explain why Clover helps.
  2. Bad SATA connections. I had 7 SATA devices in the Mavs config and added another SSD for the Yossy system volume. So I moved around the SATA cables and could have introduced a bad SATA connection at that time, explaining why Yossy was freezing every hour or two.
  3. Memory. I tried two 32 GB configs, each four Crucial 8GB sticks, namely Sport BLS8G3D1609DS1S00 and Tactical BLT8G3D1608DT1TX0 and it made no difference. (I actually use all this memory for my work, running Linux clusters with VirtualBox.) I don't know if the problem might be software (it's not the first time OS X has failed on a memory config that it's not expecting) or hardware (I'm so unlucky that I've got two duff 4 x 8GB sets).
In order to try to figure out what the problem is, I have at present only one Tactical 8GB stick installed and the 6 HDDs are disconnected from bother power and data. Since installing with Clover yesterday the system has been stable. Assuming this holds, is it better because of Clover, because of only 1 DIMM, or because of the 6 HDDs being disconnected? This is what I need to find out.

If the stability holds for a day or two I'll put back the 32GB memory. If that also holds, I'll add back the HDDs. If the problem appears to be SATA then I have new cables coming from Monoprice later this week. If the problem appears to be memory, I have no idea what to do. I'll update or reply to this post as I have more info.

Full HW list

• GA-Z97X-UD5H rev 1.0 F8 BIOS
  • i5 4690K
  • HD 4600
  • No GFX card
  • Corsair CX430
  • One 8 GB DIMMs Crucial BLT8G3D1608DT1TX0
  • SATA devices:
    1. OCZ Agility-3 120G Yosemite system volume
    2. Samsung 840 Evo 250G, the previous Mavericks system volume (Uni/MultiBeast install)
  • Two Dell U2412M displays
  • Fractal Design Define R4 case

Last edited:
Turns out the App Store wouldn't work initially without some tweaking. The App Store requires an Ethernet adapter on en0. But on my system, the Intel E1000 adapter appears as en1 while the Bluetooth PAN adapter reserves en0.

I rectified this by renumbering the interfaces in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

I swapped en0 ↔︎ en1 in the BSD Name and IOPathMatch values, and swapping 0 ↔︎ 1 in the IOInterfaceUnit value. Then reboot.

Last edited:
The system has been stable with both memory sets and all SATA devices since the install with Clover. I ran stress for several hours to test memory and SATA IO. I also ran stressapptest from Linux in a VirtualBox VM.

I'll let a bit more time pass before updating the main article.

So far it seems to me that the problem was somewhere in UniBeast or MultiBeast.

The system has been stable with both memory sets and all SATA devices since the install with Clover. I ran stress for several hours to test memory and SATA IO. I also ran stressapptest from Linux in a VirtualBox VM.

I'll let a bit more time pass before updating the main article.

So far it seems to me that the problem was somewhere in UniBeast or MultiBeast.

i had freezes on my build since i moved from mavericks to Yosemite, reading around here like you said, i found that many people solved this with clover, so i moved to clover, way more complicated method than Unibeast Multicast, but system is running fine for three days with no problems. I did change my RAM at the same time i Moved to clover, so i couldn't tell if RAM was the cause for freezing which make no sense e to me since it was perfect on maverick for over a year. I actually have one issue with the build, but the same happened with Unibeast Multicast, after the apple log at boot screen, i get this grainy screen for a few seconds right before the password screen. I had this on maverick but i added ig_platform_id and fixed it, tried the same on yosemite with Unibeast but system was very slow, only showing 6mb of graphics. I can't find anything around about this problem, there are other that has it, but no solution, just wondering if you have the same grainy screen?

Attachments

• IMG_0059.JPG
    IMG_0059.JPG
    794.5 KB · Views: 214
Note: I have the 1.1 BK version of this board which shows an F6 BIOS with the same date as the F8 on the standard board.

Thanks for the guide. I did almost everything the same except moving the kexts after installing with MultiBeast. Is this a required step? I also had to toggle the BIOS to default to IGX instead of PCI graphics. Additionally, I needed the onboard audio to work so I followed this and it worked perfectly: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298819-yosemite-audio-realtek-alc-applehda/. Here's the github link: https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC.
Make sure to set the audio id to 1. I used Clover Configurator.

I have iMessage, App Store, HWMonitor working with SystemPal, sleep, wake, ethernet, and AirPlay so far with minimal issues.

THIS BOARD WILL NOT BOOT WITH CLOVER OR UNIBEAST ON HD4600 GRAPHICS IF YOU USE A VGA CABLE REGARDLESS OF BOOT FLAGS. It took me entire day to figure this out. HDMI works fine.

Looks like I may have inadvertently selected the Clover settings for BIOS instead of UEFI only so I also have legacy installed in the MBR. I changed the boot order in the BIOS to boot the UEFI Clover so I'm not sure it is worth starting over.

My experiment with IGP 4600 graphics didn't last long as I was able to get a Final Woot Samsung 28" 4K monitor for $369. Although the UD5H claims it can run 4K at 30HZ through HDMI (part of the reason I bought this MB), I was not able to even get to a readable BIOS screen although the monitor claimed it was getting a 4K signal. I wanted to make sure the monitor worked so I installed an EVGA GTX 960 FTW that just happened to be on sale at Best Buy down the street when I was in "figure it out" mode. The process of adding an NVIDIA card and changing the BIOS and Clover settings were mostly strait forward. Here are the steps I would follow if anyone wants to add a dedicated card later:

1) Boot normally before installing the card and ensure Clover boot nv_disable=1 is checked.
2) Shutdown and boot into BIOS settings. Change the graphics option from IGX to PCIe. Disable Intel Graphics.
3) Boot with the monitor attached to the card (not VGA).
4) Install Nvidia web drivers (you must disable hardware checking - Google it).
5) Back into Clover Configurator, uncheck nv_disable=1 and check nvda_drv=1.
6) Save and exit.
7) Reboot.

I didn't do these things in order so I had to do a lot of trial and error and booting back with IGX to reconfigure Clover properly. The key is that nv_disable=1 needs to be toggled to boot before the web drivers are installed and then it needs to be unchecked to allow the drivers to work.

The good news is the FTW 960 isn't on the buyer's guide so I was a little nervous, but it's now pushing full 4K retina to my 28" monitor. It looks about like the 5K iMac. I'm very happy. I wanted to do it with just the 4600 even just at 30HZ, but couldn't get the BIOS to recognize the monitor for some reason.

In any event, this was my first Hackintosh build. It was sparked by trying to figure out what to do with my old PowerMac G5. I helped my sons build a couple of PC's and got the idea. I found this community and now I have a modded G5 case with BluRay burner, original drive trays in the top shelf, 4 SSD bays, and a Clover 4K UEFI boot on a full size ATX board. I'm very pleased with the folks here that posted their experiences for others to follow, especially this thread. Thanks.

thefsb, one question. When you boot, is your bios set to boot Clover via UEFI on OS(whatever the disk), or Mac OS X? Either way boots the Clover loader but I suspect one is in legacy mode. I noticed that the UEFI option required the kexts be in the EFI 10.10 folder instead of Sytem/Library/..........

after the apple log at boot screen, i get this grainy screen for a few seconds right before the password screen. I had this on maverick but i added ig_platform_id and fixed it, tried the same on yosemite with Unibeast but system was very slow, only showing 6mb of graphics. I can't find anything around about this problem, there are other that has it, but no solution, just wondering if you have the same grainy screen?

I also get some graphics uglys twice during boot. Looks a bit different from yours. First on the Clover screen for a moment before the Apple logo displays. Second for a moment when the boot thermometer gets to about 1/3 and pauses.

I dunno what to do about it.

I also get some graphics uglys twice during boot. Looks a bit different from yours. First on the Clover screen for a moment before the Apple logo displays. Second for a moment when the boot thermometer gets to about 1/3 and pauses.

I dunno what to do about it.

Changed the monitor and it was fixed. Grey screen it's gone hmm

Hi, I followed your guide and I have very similar hardware:
Ga-z97x-ud5h f8 bios
Intel core i7 4970k
16gb crucial ballistix tactical (8+8)
Evga gt 740 sc

My system seems stable but I still can't solve two big issues:

Shutdown doesn't work: the system reeboot instead giving back a message of "system stopped not properly" (or something similar)

UPDATE: solved installing nvidia web drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back