Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H
CPU
i5-3750K
Graphics
HD 4870
I've been reading this forum for about 2 years and it's helped me enormously so i thought i'd give some feedback about the latest Mac OS X release in case other people come across the same problems.

I recently upgraded my PC because my old one died on me and I decided to go with an Ivy Bridge CPU seeing as they are a bit faster than Sandy Bridge CPU's and have some nice new features including Intel 4000 gfx. I knew that I'd have to wait a bit before being able to get my hackintosh working with my new hardware but I'd heard Ivy Bridge support was definitely coming and that it was just a matter of when, not if.

I purchased the following hardware to replace my old e8500 and Asus pv5e-vm:

Gigabyte Z77M-D3H mATX mobo (the Via sound chip is NOT supported but i use a USB DAC so that wasn't a problem for me)
Intel i5 3570K
64GB Crucial M4 SSD
8GB Kingston RAM

All to be used with my old Sapphire 4870 512MB (soon to be replaced by a 6870)

I downloaded a VMWare image of Snow Leopard 10.6.6 and used that to create a bootable USB Flash Drive with Unibeast as described in Tony's post.

After booting however i got stuck on the grey 'cotton weave' screen. After reading around a lot and some googling i came up with 2 possible problems:

1) I had too much RAM. Lots of people suggested using 4GB max for installing.

2) It's better to use the integrated Intel GFX to install than a dedicated GPU

So i removed 4GB and my GFX card and it worked perfectly! :D

p.s.: Nearly forgot, I changed the PCIRootUID=1 to PCIRootUID=0 in the file on the USB stick.

edit: To get iCloud working I generated a new serial number with 'Chameleon wizard' app and then changed the serial number in the smbios.plist.

What does it need to make the ATI running? I use a 4890 but still have the low resolution and no recognition. I installed the 48xx fix with MultiBeast but nothing changed.

What does it need to make the ATI running? I use a 4890 but still have the low resolution and no recognition. I installed the 48xx fix with MultiBeast but nothing changed.

Mine worked without any modifications (just the standard 'GraphicsEnabler=Yes'). If I'm not mistaken the 4870 series was supported natively whereas the 4890 was not :(

Congrats on your build.
From your post I did not understand which version of OSX you are installing.
I have the same hardware and am trying to install Mountain Lion (10.8.).

If you are also using ML, then can you please tell me if you got HD4000 working OK.

This is how far I got with my install:
Used Unibeast 1.5 to do the basic ML install.
Then Multibeast 4.6.1 to install the SSDT for the 3570K and Atheros Ethernet drivers.
After Multibeast I installed Chimera 1.11 for the HD4000 support.

Now I am stuck:
While the machine seems to load the HD400 drivers when I boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes, it hangs on boot and the last message I see is: [AGPM controller] unknownPlatform.
When I boot with GraphicsEnabler=No, the machine boots past this point, but then there is no HD4000 working.

I found that the AGPM has something to do with my "wrong" audio hardware, so I tried to install voodooHDA2.7.3 but got Kernel Panic, so removed it again.

Summary: Got a working desktop with a 1920x1080 resolution, but no HD4000 and no sound.

Any ideas, hints, ...??
Thank you.
Michael

Congrats on your build.
From your post I did not understand which version of OSX you are installing.
I have the same hardware and am trying to install Mountain Lion (10.8.).

If you are also using ML, then can you please tell me if you got HD4000 working OK.

This is how far I got with my install:
Used Unibeast 1.5 to do the basic ML install.
Then Multibeast 4.6.1 to install the SSDT for the 3570K and Atheros Ethernet drivers.
After Multibeast I installed Chimera 1.11 for the HD4000 support.

Now I am stuck:
While the machine seems to load the HD400 drivers when I boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes, it hangs on boot and the last message I see is: [AGPM controller] unknownPlatform.
When I boot with GraphicsEnabler=No, the machine boots past this point, but then there is no HD4000 working.

I found that the AGPM has something to do with my "wrong" audio hardware, so I tried to install voodooHDA2.7.3 but got Kernel Panic, so removed it again.

Summary: Got a working desktop with a 1920x1080 resolution, but no HD4000 and no sound.

Any ideas, hints, ...??
Thank you.
Michael

Hi there,

I have indeed installed Mountain Lion and I did get the HD4000 working correctly (on a 20" Dell screen with 1600*1200 resolution) using the DVI connector.

In the BIOS I changed the gfx settings from 'auto' to 'iGFX' and left the other settings as they were. I also changed the 'PCIRootUID=1' to 'PCIRootUID=0' in the file on the USB stick.
Apart from those 2 things I left everything as is (I did remove 4gb RAM and removed my 4870 during the installation).

I installed ML with the 1.5 Unibeast and I use my USB drive to boot into ML, I haven't installed Multibeast yet.

Hope this helps :)

edit1: Not sure if this is important or not but I also updated the BIOS before the ML install (using version F8 at the moment)

Thanks for info.

Meanwhile I got it running with one monitor as per the instructions in this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...hd4000-full-qe-ci-sleep-sound-ethernet-3.html
The only method that worked for me was the device property injection by hbala77.

I will have a look at the iGFX and DVI options later on as DVI does not work at all yet for me.

Have you tried dual monitor configurations yet?

regards
Michael

Thanks for info.

Meanwhile I got it running with one monitor as per the instructions in this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...hd4000-full-qe-ci-sleep-sound-ethernet-3.html
The only method that worked for me was the device property injection by hbala77.

I will have a look at the iGFX and DVI options later on as DVI does not work at all yet for me.

Have you tried dual monitor configurations yet?

regards
Michael

I haven't tried dual monitors (I only have 1 monitor).

I have this same motherboard and I am able to boot, however, I cannot get a second display running over DVI. HDMI works just fine and I used it to install but I cannot get any kind of video output (even if I unplug hdmi and reboot) over DVI. Not even the BIOS boot screen

Correction: Appears my DisplayPort to DVI adapter only works one way (DP > DVI), not the other way around. Now I get a distorted second display on DVI and then a kernel panic after boot.

I've got the Z77M-D3H and i5-3570K just like your successful build. Despite building several Hacks to date, I am completely stuck at the installation phase, with the machine going into a KP before getting to the GUI installation screen for ML. I think it is something to do with the CPU state - I get messages saying CPUID not recognised......

My questions:

What version of BIOS are you running?
What were your BIOS settings outside of the usual (AHCI not IDE, HPET=enabled, etc.)?

I've almost given up on the Unibeast method. I read somewhere to set the Internal CPU PLL Overvoltage to disabled - did you do this?

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back