Contribute
Register

Sub 500$ hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dongles work but the speeds are usually slower and drivers don't get updated very quickly when a new macOS version comes out. You have to wait months or more for new drivers. Some have used the EdiMax
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MTTJOY/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
There is a driver somewhere on github that is said to work with Sierra. I've never tried it.

Hm. Then I really might just be better off at using the WIFI motherboard with that little broadcom chip I used before.. How slow is the USB version?

Hm. Then I really might just be better off at using the WIFI motherboard with that little broadcom chip I used before.. How slow is the USB version?
They are designed mainly for laptops and not for moving large amounts of data. It's not really the speed that's an issue it's the poor range. So if you would be close to the wifi source it could be a possible solution. What will you be doing online with this system ? How far away from the router will you be ?

They are designed mainly for laptops and not for moving large amounts of data. It's not really the speed that's an issue it's the poor range. So if you would be close to the wifi source it could be a possible solution. What will you be doing online with this system ? How far away from the router will you be ?
Oh. I just plan on using it for LAN if I take it portable. It'll always be pretty damn close to the wifi source haha

Oh. I just plan on using it for LAN if I take it portable. It'll always be pretty damn close to the wifi source haha
If it's just your secondary, part time usage wifi adapter then it's probably ok to use instead of the broadcom card.

If it's just your secondary, part time usage wifi adapter then it's probably ok to use instead of the broadcom card.
Yeah this is a part time machine. I have another hackintosh already, so to speak, but I'm building another one (hence why I want this to be really cheap), because my current hackintosh shares everything with a Windows hard drive I have in there. It's a huge pita to have to switch back and forth between the two, so I wanted another system.

Yeah this is a part time machine. I have another hackintosh already, so to speak, but I'm building another one (hence why I want this to be really cheap), because my current hackintosh shares everything with a Windows hard drive I have in there. It's a huge pita to have to switch back and forth between the two, so I wanted another system.

Have you tried using Paralells or Vmware Fusion for running Windows on your Hackintosh ? If you've got an I7 and enough ram it should be no problem to do that. Makes switching between each OS quick and easy.

Have you tried using Paralells or Vmware Fusion for running Windows on your Hackintosh ? If you've got an I7 and enough ram it should be no problem to do that. Makes switching between each OS quick and easy.

Honestly haven't even thought about that. I'll look into that. Thank you.

EDIT: Wait, I totally just read that wrong. I thought you said the opposite of what you said.

If you have a 4k monitor with DP input then this is one you could go with:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130972&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-tonymacx86 LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=4902415&SID=

DP 1.2 is fully supported in Sierra, HDMI 2.0 is not. So for 4K @60Hz you don't want to use HDMI for video output. Some people get around this by using a DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 active adapter. Club3D makes one that they report working. If you have a 4K TV with HDMI 2.0 this is the preferred method.

Here's a less expensive Skylake based alternative.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157651&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-tonymacx86 LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=4902415&SID=

You would pair an I3-6100 with this one. Will be the lowest cost way to go.

Just realized my TV does not have a display port. I could just buy a 1.2 Display port to 2.0 HDMI adapter, and it'd still work with out the need for any other tweaking??

You'd need to get the Club 3D active adapter for it to work. The audio over DP/HDMI may not work and would require some tweaking. Most have reported getting 4K at 60 Hz with one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017BQ8I54/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Ugh that's a pita.. I'll deal with HDMI for now then. If it becomes annoying dealing at 24hz or whatever the highest is, I'll upgrade it to display port. Thanks so much for the help. I got lucky on a bid last night and was able to get a i5-6600k for 180$ USD. I'm going to use a similar build, and take the motherboard out of my current computer (Z170 Gaming 5 by GIGABYTE), and replace it with another that's cheaper, still z170 so I can overclock on my current desktop. Otherwise, the build is going as planned. I'm also going to stick with a GTX 1050Ti, simply because I want SOME sort of graphics potential, and it's not expensive, though I could wait on getting that.

Thanks so much for the help. Because of the i5-6600k, I am going a little bit over budget (seems to be pushing around 550$-600$ USD), but I feel like the performance gains will be worth it. If I don't purchase the GPU, I'd save a little over 100 on the build, which would have me at my original price point, which may actually be worth it. I've even got a GTX 960 in my old desktop that I could throw in there instead. There are options at this point, but I'm satisfied with the outcomes. Thanks a bunch for all your help! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back