Contribute
Register

(Stupid) Noob-friendly power button wiring for powermac G5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
G5 mod
CPU
i5-3570k
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys :wave:

I know that this must seem like an incredibly stupid question to some of you, but bear with me, I'm quite a noob (I've only assembled one PC before, and that was pretty much plug&play). I've sort of given up on making a fully functional wiring (Firewire, USB, headphones) - My pathetic noob-brain melts down by the sight of 18 pins and talks of "soldering" :banghead:

Therefore I'm just going to connect the power button, if posible. Can I do this in a simple manner and if so, what will I need to buy? I've got an old PC that I can get some wires from (For example there's a two-pin power button-connector).

Thanks in advance for your patience :thumbup:

Mathias

Take a Look here
Any step by step g5 to atx cable guide?

and then here
The Ultimate G5 Mod Resource Thread

and I'll give you this for a looksy over

PowerMacG5FrontPanel_zps3069ccac.jpg

You would just need to wire up #2 for the Ground and # 14 for LED+ and #13 for Power+

Three there should give you power button, nothing more, nothing less.

Take a Look here
Any step by step g5 to atx cable guide?

and then here
The Ultimate G5 Mod Resource Thread

and I'll give you this for a looksy over

View attachment 32048

You would just need to wire up #2 for the Ground and # 14 for LED+ and #13 for Power+

Three there should give you power button, nothing more, nothing less.

Hi eelhead,

Is that bottom diagram looking from a perspective of the G5 cable with wires coming up at your face (lol, only way I could describe it), or looking at it from the bottom/pin inserts? Sorry noob here as well!

klim, shouldnt matter which way you look at it.
the notch on the right side of that picture will be on your g5 cable, so you can use that as a navigating.

the notch on the right side of that picture will be on your g5 cable, so you can use that as a navigating.

Sorry... I had a blonde moment.

Now I feel real stupid :oops:

Wait, it does make a difference... If you flip the cable depending on which way you are looking at it (so in this case 180º up-down), the connectors will be reversed (the top left will then be the bottom left... if you know what I'm saying?)

So which way is the diagram, looking down on the cable with wires coming up, or looking from the bottom pin hole connectors? Hmmmm...

ok i see what you mean.

its looking down to the holes.
i bought my front panel cable, but before i did, i had a dirty method of using the power button, which was to jam 2 normal atx case power switch wires into powerbutton and ground on the g5 cable.

i did that based on that image looking at the pin holes

Hi guys

Thanks for your answers! :D In the meantime I went out and bought a soldering kit, and now I got the power button and presumably the USB-port working (I'm testing them on an old mobo, power fires the thing up and a connected USB-card reader turns on its LED - Does this mean that it should be working? :D ). Soldering the small wires was a PITA (THE TIN WON'T STICK) but soldering an extension to the power plug (PSU) went very, very smooth as it has bigger wires.

I have not done anything with the LED yet - Is it necessary to connect this? I haven't connected it yet as I'm not sure what I will need to connect it to, if anything besides of course pin 14. The power cable has the firewire ground connected if that makes any difference :)

THANK YOU for one of the best forums I've ever been a member of. The atmosphere in here is truly great, especially compared to other tech-sites :thumbup:

Mathias

I might as well do it, though, I seem to get the gist of this now. What cables will I need to connect to the LED, having connected the firewire ground to the power button? Will I need to split the ground and hook it up to the LED or can I just connect pin 14 (LED) and that's it? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back