EVGA 660 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys!

I've just finished modding my case. I've bought this gear already (so please don't tell me I've got the wrong stuff! haha). About to start the installation process for Mountain Lion...

CASE: G5 Mod - Mountain Mods + PSU Top shelf
MOBO: Z77X-UD5H
CPU: i5 3570K
GFX: EVGA 660 Ti
RAM: 16GB Vengeance Red C9 1600Mhz (should have got low profile - doh!)
SSD: 120GB San Disk Extreme
HDD: 1TB Seagate sata 7200rpm
PSU: Fatal1ty 550W
MONITOR: 27" Hazbo HZ27WC 2560x1440

View attachment 30713
(the case if anyone is interested - bit off topic...)

As this is going to be for an audio workstation I am eventually going to need a PCIe Firewire card. I've read loads of threads about PCIe FW... and everyone seems to think VIA won't do. But then I've also read somewhere that TI PCIe will create extra latency?? Don't know how true that is. But would love to come to a conclusion and just order the bloody thing! :p Syba? Can anyone confirm this card for Z77X mobo's + mountain lion?

And... any tricky bits that I need to keep in mind? Any similar builds that ran in to this FW hurdle?

Cheers guys! :headbang:

EDIT: Would be pretty helpful if this could be figured out and added to the CustoMac list (IMO) - to save repeat discussions. I've read that the StarTech PCIe is compatible, I've read Syba somewhere and also seen a few other brands. My worst nightmare would be to buy a card and find out my interface (Liquid Saffire Pro 56) starts dropping out and popping etc... Anywho. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

I used the same mobo and have had very good success with it. I have been using the onboard FireWire with my EyeTV 200 and had no problems. I also tried hooking it up to several devices (FW->SCSI adapter and a FW DVD-ROM drive) also without obvious problems. I have read posts that someone using a FireWire audio box had issues, so YMMV depending on what you need it for. I had ordered the Syba PCIe 1394b/a card <http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124072> but so far have not had any success getting devices to connect through it (oddly the FW800 ports register in the System Profiler). I would suggest trying the onboard FW first to see if you need the PCI version.

I would suggest trying the onboard FW first to see if you need the PCI version.

Cheers Agrajag! I'll def try onboard FW. But from what I've heard this isn't stable enough for audio interfaces. I'll give it a shot, though! Just wanted a backup plan/PCIe option for when it does go tits up (i'm assuming it will!) :p

If you're brave enough, there's the option of getting the up5-th, then use apple's thunderbolt to firewire adapter. In theory, it should work, but as far as I know no one from the community has confirmed if it works or not. I'll be watching this thread as I'm thinking of building a hackintosh for the same purpose.

I'll def try onboard FW. But from what I've heard this isn't stable enough for audio interfaces. I'll give it a shot, though! Just wanted a backup plan/PCIe option for when it does go tits up (i'm assuming it will!) :p
Even since the early days, FW interfaces between different chip vendors has been a bit dodgy, so it may well depend on how well the FW chips in the specific audio interface match the ones in the computer interface.

If you're brave enough, there's the option of getting the up5-th, then use apple's thunderbolt to firewire adapter. In theory, it should work, but as far as I know no one from the community has confirmed if it works or not. I'll be watching this thread as I'm thinking of building a hackintosh for the same purpose.

I've already got the mobo (without thunderbolt). So I'm afraid this isn't an option. I'll have to resort to a PCIe card if this fails. Apparently the PCIe FW cards can't have a 'bridge' chip? I'll have to double check this. Fingers crossed the solution isn't expensive :crazy:

Hey, did ypu bought that board? I'm building one Hack with the z87 ud4h and is almost the only one I can get here with TI but isn't so cheap here and I'm thinking on a saffire pro 40 also. By now I have a fw1814 from m-audio.

Sorry for taking this back more than a year later but I'd like to know how did it went.

Thanks

JS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back