AMD Radeon HD 6870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Dear all,

I've owned a MacBook pro for a few years and decided recently to embark on the hackintosh journey. I've bought the hardware for a CustoMac Pro build.

I've been reading the forum and site since one week to get acquainted with all the utilities and terminology so I'm good there.

My hardware is following
  • Intel Core i7-2600K[/*:m:3unahbe5]
  • Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3[/*:m:3unahbe5]
  • AMD Radeon HD 6870[/*:m:3unahbe5]
  • 16GB Corsair 1600Mhz DDR3[/*:m:3unahbe5]
  • SSD OCZ - Agility 3 120 GB (2x)[/*:m:3unahbe5]

My initial goal was to set up a hardware RAID-0 which by now I found is now possible with OS X. Software raid will be the next best thing here. But first things first.

• I assembled the hardware, only putting in 4 GB and no additional hardware[/*:m:3unahbe5]
  • I installed Windows 7 and updated the BIOS to F8, for which there is a DSDT.[/*:m:3unahbe5]
  • I adjusted the BIOS settings. (AHCI, S3, HPET)[/*:m:3unahbe5]
  • I ran the UniBeast to create a USB-HDD installer on a friends Mac, since I don't have my MBP anymore.[/*:m:3unahbe5]

Booting up the USB-HDD gives me the chimera menu allowing to just start my installation, selecting this gives a black screen with just the message "Can't find.".

Continuing I booted the iBoot CD, which also shows me the USD-HDD entry. There I could start the installation. Though just briefly. He shows the grey screen with the apple logo for a few seconds, then crashing and restarting the computer. I tried the various combinations of various options suggested through-out the guides and forum posts, none resulting in much else.

There are a few working builds, one of which is golden, with almost exactly the same hardware as mine. So I find it peculiar to bump into these issues. I'll continue searching the forums a bit now, as there is nothing left to do for me. Yet I had hoped any of you has an idea on how to continue my installation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need any more info, screenshots, pictures of me posing with my PC, .. feel free to ask.

Thanks a lot for reading,

Have you been able to format your new ssd? Did you get the error message in which state? Just after making partition???
Or maybe you should redownload Lion and make USB drive again.

At the moment it is formatted as NTFS as I put windows on it to have an OS. Is it recommended to have it unformatted? Though in my first attempts it was still unformatted, and the results where the same there.

Making the USB key again wouldn't be a bad idea I guess. Has any of the methods UniBeast uses (app store download or USB retail Lion) proven to work better or for more people?

Edit
Also I have two questions about the points in the tips and recommendations located here.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9541

5. Which is the first PCI slot, the one closest to the CPU?
11. I have 6 SATA and 2 GSATA ports. Where SATA port 0 and 1 are white, port 2 to 5 are blue, and the GSATAs are grey. Which ones would you recommend me to use. Also is it recommended to disconnect my second identical SSD drive during install?

Edit 2
A small update on the "Can't find.". When I boot from the UniBeast created USB-HDD with verbose mode on, it approximately shows me these lines.

--
Read HFS file: [HD(0,1)/System...]
Loading Darwin 10.7
Loading kernel mach_kernel
Can't find
--

This makes me think I should definitely try to run UniBeast again.

Thanks.

moeriki said:
At the moment it is formatted as NTFS as I put windows on it to have an OS. Is it recommended to have it unformatted? Though in my first attempts it was still unformatted, and the results where the same there.

Making the USB key again wouldn't be a bad idea I guess. Has any of the methods UniBeast uses (app store download or USB retail Lion) proven to work better or for more people?

Edit
Also I have two questions about the points in the tips and recommendations located here.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9541

11. I have 6 SATA and 2 GSATA ports. Where SATA port 0 and 1 are white, port 2 to 5 are blue, and the GSATAs are grey. Which ones would you recommend me to use. Also is it recommended to disconnect my second identical SSD drive during install?

Edit 2
A small update on the "Can't find.". When I boot from the UniBeast created USB-HDD with verbose mode on, it approximately shows me these lines.

--
Loading Darwin 10.7
Can't find
--

Thanks.
I chose Prot 2 for SATA (first blue one) and for pci card ,you should look at the motherboard manual in PCI section or motherboard layout. Check this post. He also had problems installing lion.
http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=264&t=41344

moeriki said:

Edit
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9541

Edit 2

--
Loading Darwin 10.7
Can't find
--

Thanks.

I'm running a very similar build. Sounds like an issue with the UniBeast install, so I'd try that again first. When making the UniBeast drive, I found it useful to use Disk Utility to totally erase the USB drive first as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then setting 1 partition with MBR (keeping the format as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), of course).

Before you boot into UniBeast:

Disconnect the second SSD and remove the graphics card - use your onboard graphics during the install. Some people say to remove any more than 4GB of RAM before the install, but I didn't and mine ran smoothly. When you get to the Chimera Boot Screen, hit the space bar and type "GraphicsEnabler=No" at the "boot:" prompt before hitting enter to start the installation. Again before you install you can use Disk Utility to reformat your primary SSD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Combined with your hints and especially a new UniBeast drive I succesfully made an install. Great! But now I have a kernel panic when I boot my newly-installed OS. I haven't tried without GPU yet as I will do that now.

At what point exactly do you insert your GPU then. After running MultiBeast?

Thanks a lot for your help, I'm coming closer to the goal!

Tried again without GPU resulting in the same kernel panic.
The panic related output is roughly this.

Code:
Library ketx com.apple.kpi.iokit not found
Can't load kext OpenHaltRestart - failed to resolve library dependencies
Panic "unable to find driver for this platform: ACPI
Can't perform kext scan: no kext summary

Anyone an idea there? I'm almost running out of things to try. :?

The only thing I haven't tried yet is ordering a Lion retail USB-key, which I'd like to keep as last resort hence the cost. I have already paid for Lion fair and square when upgrading my Snow Leopard.

So the big issue was a messy UniBeast install, after a few more attempts I have fluent no-issue-at-all install of Lion, yay!

Any tips for the MultiBeast? I have done a few attempts, each time resulting in a kernel panic upon reboot. Any pointers on what to do with the boxes to tick.

Thanks a lot guy's for all your help, it's very much appreciated.

Big Hungry Geek said:
Before you boot into UniBeast:

Disconnect the second SSD and remove the graphics card - use your onboard graphics during the install. Some people say to remove any more than 4GB of RAM before the install, but I didn't and mine ran smoothly. When you get to the Chimera Boot Screen, hit the space bar and type "GraphicsEnabler=No" at the "boot:" prompt before hitting enter to start the installation. Again before you install you can use Disk Utility to reformat your primary SSD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Thanks! I'm building almost the same system using internal graphics only with 8GB of Kingston HyperX 1600 (2x4GB) installed and the "GraphicsEnabler=No" was the only thing missing stopping my first good boot.

Just sharing in case someone else searches and finds this thread like I did.

moeriki said:
So the big issue was a messy UniBeast install, after a few more attempts I have fluent no-issue-at-all install of Lion, yay!

Any tips for the MultiBeast? I have done a few attempts, each time resulting in a kernel panic upon reboot. Any pointers on what to do with the boxes to tick.

Thanks a lot guy's for all your help, it's very much appreciated.

I'm running the same mobo/processor/gpu combo as you! I've been up for like three days...I'm going to go get some sleep now, but I would also like to know exactly what to click in the dsdt multibeast install!

I spent a lot of time trying to do iboot+multibeast with SL and am going to start tomorrow on UniBeast. I had the same bad UniBeast install problem just now on my flash drive, too. It was probably the flash drive's fault, though. ;p Anyway, I've been looking through this site for weeks now and there are a lot of insightful things in this forum. Hopefully someone can tell me/us some good news!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back