CPU
i7-6700
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
HI all ! It has been a long time since the last time, and it s easy to find a little lost with the hackin issues!
I upgraded my system from High Sierra to Mojave , trying to inform me previously of the steps or requirements needed, and well, after dealing with the Clover upgrade since my version was not compatible , now the problem that I am not able to cope is that when starting the operating system, after the loading bar, the screen makes as if it disconnects (no signal), and. 2 seconds later it reconnects, remaining permanently black, but I am able to move the mouse and see it dance across the screen.....

So, after updating clover and. Mac Os, copy the Kexts and. Patches that I used in my previous installation, including the config.plist, and copied them to the new EFI, and that was the result.

Then I decided to start with a cleaner installation, put only the essential kexts, and. well, I can't boot the system, it restarts very soon, no matter what option I use (Nv disable, without kexts, etc etc) ....

Here I attach my 2 efis (the first is with the files of my previous functional installation). and the 2nd is the clean EFI, to see if someone can help me on how to approach this little problem.

Thanks

Attachments

• EFI clean.zip
    2 MB · Views: 38
  • EFI.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 36
HI all ! It has been a long time since the last time, and it s easy to find a little lost with the hackin issues!
I upgraded my system from High Sierra to Mojave , trying to inform me previously of the steps or requirements needed, and well, after dealing with the Clover upgrade since my version was not compatible , now the problem that I am not able to cope is that when starting the operating system, after the loading bar, the screen makes as if it disconnects (no signal), and. 2 seconds later it reconnects, remaining permanently black, but I am able to move the mouse and see it dance across the screen.....

So, after updating clover and. Mac Os, copy the Kexts and. Patches that I used in my previous installation, including the config.plist, and copied them to the new EFI, and that was the result.

Then I decided to start with a cleaner installation, put only the essential kexts, and. well, I can't boot the system, it restarts very soon, no matter what option I use (Nv disable, without kexts, etc etc) ....

Here I attach my 2 efis (the first is with the files of my previous functional installation). and the 2nd is the clean EFI, to see if someone can help me on how to approach this little problem.

Thanks
Hi there,

If it helps I actually already have a working build for Skylake Z170 on Big Sur and Monterey.
You could try to use the Radeon RX550 variant of the config.plist I have included in the build to activate your RX580 card. You can simply transfer your existing UUID, MLB and ROM serials over to use it.

> https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...4-ga-z170n-wifi-samsung-860-evo-rx550.313767/

Hi there,

If it helps I actually already have a working build for Skylake Z170 on Big Sur and Monterey.
You could try to use the Radeon RX550 variant of the config.plist I have included in the build to activate your RX580 card. You can simply transfer your existing UUID, MLB and ROM serials over to use it.

> https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...4-ga-z170n-wifi-samsung-860-evo-rx550.313767/
Thanks for the fast reply.
So, if i 'm not wrong(long time ago) , when i updated my video card (My first build was with a nvidia card ) to the rx 580, i ve choosed this option bcoz was natively working, so no needed any workaround.
Now updating the OS to 10.14.6 or higher there is need to modify some specific to get the video card working?

Last edited:
Thanks for the fast reply.
So, if i 'm not wrong(long time ago) , when i updated my video card (My first build was with a nvidia card ) to the rx 580, i ve choosed this option bcoz was natively working, so no needed any workaround.
Now updating the OS to 10.14.6 or higher there is need to get it working?
You're welcome and yes there is. Just use the RX550 defined version of the config.plist that I have included in the EFI (the first one posted on the far left). It should technically work with Mojave as it worked with Catalina and Big Sur also. The only issue with working under Mojave is you may need to disable the XHCIPortLimit setting as that is for Big Sur only.

You're welcome and yes there is. Just use the RX550 defined version of the config.plist that I have included in the EFI (the first one posted on the far left). It should technically work with Mojave as it worked with Catalina and Big Sur also. The only issue with working under Mojave is you may need to disable the XHCIPortLimit setting as that is for Big Sur only.
Nice, many thanks dude. I m goin to take a little rest, then with a fresh mind try your workaround.
I will reply with the result, ✌️

Finally after upgrading to the latest clover version and some options i see in your build got it running.

Tomorrow i need to check is all is working fine, usb, audio... Bcoz system needed 10 min to load and i feel write /read speeds are too slow than before upgrading, i need to test and see how to manage this...

The deal now is: how far or challenging is to make it work from Mojave to Catalina or from Mojave to Big Sur?
Finally, at the end of the day, maybe it's time to go a little bit further ...

Last edited:
Finally after upgrading to the latest clover version and some options i see in your build got it running.

Tomorrow i need to check is all is working fine, usb, audio... Bcoz system needed 10 min to load and i feel write /read speeds are too slow than before upgrading, i need to test and see how to manage this...

The deal now is: how far or challenging is to make it work from Mojave to Catalina or from Mojave to Big Sur?
Finally, at the end of the day, maybe it's time to go a little bit further ...

Great!

It's not that challenging at all to configure. It should pretty much all work under OC as I tested them beforehand on Mojave, Catalina and Big Sur. Only difference with Big Sur is enabling the XHCIPortLimit setting, that is all.
As it goes it shouldn't run slow. If it is see if you can set SetApfsTrimTimeOut to -1 or check the device properties listing in the EFI and check if the device-id for the RX580 is correct (which should be 6FDF0000 I believe).

If you plan to go to Monterey 12.1 or greater you will need to update the OC plus related kexts to at least 0.7.6. For kexts that means those files released on the same date as OC (Lilu/AppleALC/Whatevergreen/VirtualSMC). If you use the OCAT or Opencore Auxiliary Tool it can pretty much update everything automatically for you. > https://github.com/ic005k/OCAuxiliaryTools/releases

If you want to learn more about Opencore you should check this guide > https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/

Great!

It's not that challenging at all to configure. It should pretty much all work under OC as I tested them beforehand on Mojave, Catalina and Big Sur. Only difference with Big Sur is enabling the XHCIPortLimit setting, that is all.
As it goes it shouldn't run slow. If it is see if you can set SetApfsTrimTimeOut to -1 or check the device properties listing in the EFI and check if the device-id for the RX580 is correct (which should be 6FDF0000 I believe).

If you plan to go to Monterey 12.1 or greater you will need to update the OC plus related kexts to at least 0.7.6. For kexts that means those files released on the same date as OC (Lilu/AppleALC/Whatevergreen/VirtualSMC). If you use the OCAT or Opencore Auxiliary Tool it can pretty much update everything automatically for you. > https://github.com/ic005k/OCAuxiliaryTools/releases

If you want to learn more about Opencore you should check this guide > https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/
Not sure how to check "Technically" the video card properties.....tried to check on Ioreg and i see a lot of amd 9500 driver reference and amd 4xxx references. But Home/About this mac/ it shows amd radeon rx 580 8 gb .

Anyway , after study a little the new Opencore process and workarounds, next weeks i m goin to install a new ssd and a fresh install for Big Sur with Opencore, while this ssd keep working , and then when all possible problems will be handled and solved , start working 100 % with Big Sur and Opencore.

About the XHCI por limit mapping , in my functional install i ve created previously a USB ssdt and patched at /Clover/patches/Acpi (or similar) so i'm not using the Clover USBinjectall.kext or whatever. I hope this handmade ssdt works with opencore, i had seen it 0s similar process.

Many thanks for the help. MAybe i will need little help in the future ;)

If you want, upload your EFI folder in its current state and we can have a look at it (again).
Don t worry, finally i m in the way seting up a new install with Open core and big sur,
learn opencore :100%
Big sur installed in fresh ssd 100%
EFI build, 90%

Almost ready to put it to work and struggling with the possible problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back