Contribute
Register

Stuck on step2.11 Catalina installer is incomplete (i7-4770K Haswell)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. Why do you think mine went over 25 Gb?

(it was growing so big it was freaking me out, I ended up transferring files over to my HD2 just to make sure there was space)

Also, if I download 10.15.3, will I be able to open it when it's done? I don't want the white no smoking icon etc.
My current OS is Mavericks
The installer should even pop up the window immediately after finishing. It may be possible that downloading 10.15 on a very old version like 10.9 would potentially cause problems.

Hey, thanks again @Bustycat ...
I agree... It certainly feels like things aren't going by the book, waiting for things to install without any messages at the end telling you whether or not the process has even worked.

Update: I have downloaded the "macOS Catalina Patcher".
I put it in the HD1 > Applications, along with a fresh copy of "Install macOS Catalina".

I launched Install macOS Catalina and things now look very different. It looks like it is now complete, and is letting me choose a HD to install it onto. My problem now is that my HD1 doesn't have enough free space.

HD1 is a SSD Samsung 120 GB
HD2 is a SSD Samsung 500 GB

... I guess 2 mac operating systems can't occupy the same 120 GB.
If I install it on my HD2 I don't want to have to format the drive to achieve proper installation, because I've got a lot of important files on there and I'm running out of space. Will this process (using Unibeast) give me the option of installing it without formatting the drive?

Attachments

• not-enough-space-on-hd1.png
    not-enough-space-on-hd1.png
    186.1 KB · Views: 41
Hey, thanks again @Bustycat ...
I agree... It certainly feels like things aren't going by the book, waiting for things to install without any messages at the end telling you whether or not the process has even worked.

Update: I have downloaded the "macOS Catalina Patcher".
I put it in the HD1 > Applications, along with a fresh copy of "Install macOS Catalina".

I launched Install macOS Catalina and things now look very different. It looks like it is now complete, and is letting me choose a HD to install it onto. My problem now is that my HD1 doesn't have enough free space.

HD1 is a SSD Samsung 120 GB
HD2 is a SSD Samsung 500 GB

... I guess 2 mac operating systems can't occupy the same 120 GB.
If I install it on my HD2 I don't want to have to format the drive to achieve proper installation, because I've got a lot of important files on there and I'm running out of space. Will this process (using Unibeast) give me the option of installing it without formatting the drive?
It may possibly erase your HD2 entirely unless there has already been a macOS partition in it. I would recommend connecting a spare SSD/HDD, or transferring some files in HD1 to another drive.

Thanks again. I have ordered a Samsung (EVO) 1 TB SSD. Will let you know when I move the files onto it and continue this process ...

I have now transferred a lot of my files over to a new 1TB drive, and have an entire empty 500GB drive to install Catalina onto.

I am looking over this process and establishing what I have already done and what still needs doing: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ported-intel-based-pc.285366/#create_unibeast

I have now installed the Catalina folder (macOS Install Data) onto my applications folder on my internal 1TB HD, and also have a copy of this folder in my root folder for my HD1 (with current OS 10.9.5).

When I installed the "macOS Install Data" folder onto my empty 500GB and restarted, I expected to be able to boot this new Catalina OS on the Chameleon screen, but this didn't happen.

So, I restarted again with Unibeast in a USB stick in the computer, but I still didn't see an option when I restarted.

I have now looked back on this thread: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...cted-mac-os-x-installer-is-incomplete.249330/ ... and realised I could have overlooked the terminal instructions (sudo -s, etc). I completed this, and then went back to launching Unibeast to see if I could get past "macOS Selection" screen, and this time it didn't give me the "incomplete" warning... I now see the Bootloader Configuration screen - yay!

I had to choose between UEFI or Legacy, after looking at the forum I couldn't see which option was more appropriate for my mobo (Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H), so I chose UEFI.

I was able to get through the steps and boot up my new USB with a Catalina installer on it.

Aftew holding down F12 on a restart, in the BIOS I selected by USB to boot from.

Then in the new clover screen I selected to boot from my 500 GB HD, which I think was a mistake because I was supposed to select "macOS Install from Install macOS Catalina".

Anyway, by choosing my 500 GB HD in error, it just seemed to bring me back to the Clover boot screen again.

This time I chose the correct setting (bold, above). This got me to something that looked more promising. I selected the language, then went thru the Disk Utility option to delete my 500 GB HD as per the instructions.

However, when I left Disk Utility I was at this step:
7. When the installer asks you where to install, choose Catalina

However, I never received this option. When I left the disk utility it just left me with the Catalina installer. So, trying to follow the guide the best I could, I took this as a prompt to restart, rather than continue.

I restarted, and this time my boot options included the Catalina (instead of just Mavericks).
I chose Catalina, hoping this was the first time I could witness my 500 GB HD (with Catalina) booting up.

Unfortunately I received an error message.
Can't find /mach_kernal

I pressed a key to continue... and I was presented with the boot screen again (Mav. or Cat.)
I chose Catalina, and it caused an error on the Mac boot.

I didn't want to end up with no functional computer, so I decided to pull out all the USB booters and extra drives, shut down, and then boot up as per the norm. Fortunately I was able to boot Mavericks.

I'm not sure why it failed, as I don't really understand the error messages. I will have a look at this later.

Q: ... In the meantime, what do you think I did wrong? - would it have worked if I chose Legacy over UEFI?

1-selected-installer-incomplete.jpg

2-macOS-Install-Data-folder.gif

3-catalina-install-and-patcher.gif

4-done-terminal-sudo-etc.gif

5-chose-uefi.gif

6-install-cat-on-500GB-HD.gif

7-original-settings.gif

8-installing.gif

9-install-cat-on-500gb-hd.gif

11-clover-loading.gif

12-clover-screen-500.gif

13-apple-loading.gif

14-language.gif

15-disk-utility-select.gif

16-show-all.gif

17-choose-500gb-hd.gif

18-erase-choose-apfs.gif

19-erasing.gif

20-restart.gif

21-two-boot-options-mav-and-cat.gif

22-cant-find-error.gif

23-back-to-boot-options.gif

24-cant-find-again.gif

25-freeze-left.gif

26-freeze-middle.gif

27-freeze-right.gif

Attachments

• 9-install-cat-on-500gb-hd.gif
    9-install-cat-on-500gb-hd.gif
    139.4 KB · Views: 39
PS: When I was prompted to drag Multibeast onto my USB, it didn't tell me which one to drag it on to, so I dragged it (copied) to the main USB and the two other new partitions of the USB that appeared as part of the new installer. Don't know if this caused a problem...

I have tried the process again, this time installing Unibeast on Legacy mode instead of UEFI.

I get to the screen where I can install Catalina, but it seems I cannot reach the button with the cursor, hitting Enter will not work, and I cannot seem to adjust the screen resolution with my built in monitor settings.

I now realise that Legacy is not the right setting for my mobo, but I don't believe that not being able to click on a link to proceed with the installation has anything to do with this.

Any advice would be appreciated.

29-try-legacy.jpg

30-cant-reach-button.jpg

Update: I tried it again but this time I was able to switch monitors. This enabled me to see the install window properly, and click "Install".

However, it looks like Catalina doesn't like my build after all.

screenshot_3138.jpg

screenshot_3141.jpg

screenshot_3144.jpg

screenshot_3145.jpg

screenshot_3141.jpg

screenshot_3146.jpg

screenshot_3147.jpg

screenshot_3150.jpg

As it looks like my hardware may be too old to install Catalina, can anyone suggest an older OS that might work on my 2014 build?

OS X 10.9 Mavericks (Cabernet) - 22 October 2013 [<-- Current OS]
OS X 10.10: Yosemite (Syrah) - 16 October 2014
OS X 10.11: El Capitan (Gala) - 30 September 2015
macOS 10.12: Sierra (Fuji) - 20 September 2016
macOS 10.13: High Sierra (Lobo) - 25 September 2017
macOS 10.14: Mojave (Liberty) - 24 September 2018
macOS 10.15: Catalina (Jazz) - 7 October 2019 [<-- Failed]

In my case...
mkdir /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport
I forgot to type " " in front of "macOS" and "Catalina"...XD
Now I am in Bootloader Configuration wish me luck..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back