Contribute
Register

Stuck on flashing underscore after installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte H97M-D3H
CPU
i5 << need model # >> See Forum Rules !!
Graphics
HD 4600
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I installed High Sierra on my computer and everything went pretty smoothly, I can boot into the drive via the boot loader on the install USB. After installation I installed clover via multibeast and when I try boot directly from the HDD I just get a flashing underscore.

Asus P5G41T-M LX
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200

I have the same problem, did you find a solution?

I have the same problem, did you find a solution?

Hi there.

Sadly your hardware is not quite like the OPs, also we don't know what type of destination drive you are using. However, in general this flashing underscore is telling you the drive you are pointing at is unbootable.

Use your UniBeast installer USB drive to boot into Clover and then select the High Sierra installation, and see if that boots it. If not report back on how you made the installation in the first place :thumbup:

I used the TonyMac install method, to install Yosemite, El Capitan And Sierra successfully in this hardware.
Same for High Sierra but after install and running Multi Beast on High Sierra it will not boot. Very strange.
Mother board has VT/VT-d disabled and no USB3.
Booting from the UniBeast USB stick does the same thing gives me the flashing "-".

Last edited:
OK, Not sure WTF was wrong, But I had High Sierra installed on another drive, used the USB stick to boot into the Disk and found no MultiBeast settings (strange). I ran M.B. and rebooted to disk, but stuck on "-". Booted again from USB and ran M.B. again- hope it works now from Disk. I know this is not a TYPICAL BUILD but it is pretty awesome! For less then $300. 12 cores/24-threads and 48GB RAM. Plus running ATI Radeon HD 5870. Smooth like butter!
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP.
"NetScaler Hacks" is the book to get to learn all about this!

Attachments

• High Sierra on SDX 11500.png
    High Sierra on SDX 11500.png
    100.8 KB · Views: 61
OK, Not sure WTF was wrong, But I had High Sierra installed on another drive, used the USB stick to boot into the Disk and found no MultiBeast settings (strange). I ran M.B. and rebooted to disk, but stuck on "-". Booted again from USB and ran M.B. again- hope it works now from Disk. I know this is not a TYPICAL BUILD but it is pretty awesome! For less then $300. 12 cores/24-threads and 48GB RAM. Plus running ATI Radeon HD 5870. Smooth like butter!
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP.
"NetScaler Hacks" is the book to get to learn all about this!

Okay. Hope it goes well :thumbup:

The only difference between your earlier installations and the latest High Sierra could be the new disk format - APFS.

There is a script included in the UniBeast installer to circumvent conversion from HFS+ to APFS (and there is a command-line for more confident Terminal users too).

Not sure if this is a pointer to your problems. The Clover version in MB-HS is a later one too.

:)

OK here’s the latest, one installation of High Sierra is on Intel SSD the second installation is on normal hard drive.
SSD has APFS, HD has HFS+
both have multi beast and boot loader legacy installed.
Neither one wants to boot directly but both will boot from USB stick first.
What else can I check?
all previous versions following the same method route directly off the hard disk.

Is it possible to boot high Sierra with an older version of clover? I tried the “Sierra clover boot loader” from my Sierra multibeast and that also failed. I seem to only be able to boot from USB first only.

Is it possible to boot high Sierra with an older version of clover? I tried the “Sierra clover boot loader” from my Sierra multibeast and that also failed. I seem to only be able to boot from USB first only.

Hi there.

If you have both drives attached at the same time, this will confuse Clover and the boot process. You should only have one EFI partition and Clover boot-loader 'visible' at any one time.

If you have one drive attached and one detached then boot using your UniBeast installer drive, make a backup of the EFI folder in the EFI partition of your destination drive, just in case it has any vital configuration options you wish to refer back to later, then copy the EFI folder from the UniBeast installer drive over to your destination drive, replacing the one that's there.

As UniBeast boots your PC, so should the destination drive now.

:)

Ok Good point! I actually tried that. I copied the EFI folder from my unibeast USB drive to the EFI folder on my high sierra hard drive. That also did not work I got the flashing line. I did a replace all, was that a mistake should I have merged ?? I’m just wondering is something unique about high Sierra that’s not allowing me to boot the drive? because ive installed Yosemite, El Capitan and Sierra work fine on the same system. Similar/ same drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back