CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 64 LE
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all, looking for a little help. I'm on the last release of High Sierra. Yesterday my machine froze when a phone call came through. I tried to answer my phone, but the phone froze up, and it wouldn't stop ringing on my desktop. Had to reboot my phone, and the whole time my desktop kept ringing (via Facetime as usual). I tried to get it to stop, but it wouldn't. My mouse curser was able to move around the screen, but nothing was able to be clicked on. I did a hard reboot, and I can't get it to boot again. This may not have anything to do with the issue, but I'm providing the sequence of events.

I can get to my bootloader screen, then it goes to the Apple logo, where the status bar loads all the way but then freezes. I've waited up to 45 minutes at times and it never goes through. See verbose mode screen capture attached.

Here's what I've done:
1. Tried to boot from mu USB bootloader, no luck.
2. Tried to boot from my cloned backup (was cloned evening before), no luck.
3. Reset BIOS
4. Reset CMOS, and replaced CMOS battery with a new one.
5. Tried to boot into Windows 10 (separate SSD), and I get the same result. Freezes on the splash screen. I fear I'm having a hardware issue, so...
6. I removed the GPU and PCIe wifi/bluetooth card, left in only one stick of RAM, left only the boot drive plugged in.
7. Tried all of the above multiple times, get the same result. I'm out of ideas.

Specs: Gigabyte Z97x-UDH3, i7 4790k, 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x8GB (one removed), Sapphire RX480 (removed), Crucial SSD (one for each OS).

BIOS settings: Upon my initial restart right when the problem first occurred, all of my BIOS saved profiles were missing. Started from scratch with all the recommended settings listed in the installation guide here (exactly what worked previously).

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

• 1E340754-17CC-4380-9D66-4BA02EB440BB.jpeg
    1E340754-17CC-4380-9D66-4BA02EB440BB.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 49
Added screenshot to original post.

Add nv_disable=1 in the boot args and keep your GPU in your PC.

The ScreenLock error is due to your graphics driver not being installed.

use nv_disable=1 and boot into OS X . Install the NvidiaWeb drivers then reboot without the nv_disable=1 boot arg.

Curious/\/\ac

Last edited:
Add nv_disable=1 in the boot args and keep your GPU in your PC.

The ScreenLock error is due to your graphics driver not being installed.

use nv_disable=1 and boot into OS X . Install the NvidiaWeb drivers then reboot without the nv_disable=1 boot arg.

Curious/\/\ac

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I'm running an AMD card though.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I'm running an AMD card though.

Could you perhaps upload your config.plist for me to assist you a little better.

Could you also screenshot the kexts that are being loaded from the EFI.

Curious/\/\ac

Could you perhaps upload your config.plist for me to assist you a little better.

Could you also screenshot the kexts that are being loaded from the EFI.

Curious/\/\ac

See attached config.plist and screen shot as requested. Thanks! I'm concerned I have a hardware issue actually, either PSU or mobo, since the BIOS keeps resetting. Curious to hear your input.

Also have Lilu and Whatevergreen in Library/Extensions

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.4 KB · Views: 112
  • Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 10.51.00 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 10.51.00 PM.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 55
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back