Contribute
Register

Stuck in installation: Gigabyte Z490M/i5-10400 macOS Big Sur (kinda solved)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA Q77M-D2H
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770
Graphics
Radeon RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Update: After setting XhciPortLimit to FALSE/NO at least the USB 2.0 Ports are working now and I can continue with the installation process. I will post the complete setup guide after installation is complete.

-- Original message

I am trying to install the latest macOS Big Sur on the Gigabyte Z490M (not Gaming X) with Intel Core i5-10400 / Sapphire Radeon R9 270.

I am stuck in the installation process: After switching to graphics mode and displaying the Apple logo, the bar stalls at about 5% and a cursor can be seen in the upper left corner of the screen. However, the boot process continues and after some time the macOS recovery menu is displayed. Only, no USB ports seem to work (mouse and keyboard are dead) - or the computer is frozen.

The boot USB stick was created according to Dortania's OpenCore Install Guide. The resulting EFI attached.

Unfortunately, there is no install guide for this motherboard that I could follow.Since I'm running out of ideas on what else I could do now my question, if anyone here is successfully using this board or can give me a tip on what I could do.

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Hi,
i have a Gigabyte Z490M (not Gaming X) too, but with i5-10500 and no other PCI-card. I may help you with USB ports problems. You must do USB port mapping by hand for Big Sur after 11.2.3 (11.3.x ...). Further explanation at end of text. That may solve your problems.

You can help me too. My USB-Installer hangs a short time after boot before any Apple logo. Hanging either with Catalina 10.15.7 and Big Sur 11.2.3. Can you tell me your Gigabyte Z490M BIOS version (F5, F6, F7c, F20 or F21b?), which settings you changed after set to default settings (in BIOS pressed F7 for optimized defaults) and what output on board port (DVI, HDMI or DP) you are using on first install?
I did try your EFI too, but no other behaviour. This Chipset and processor are highly recommendeed by tonymacx86 and should normally work.

For USB port problems in Big Sur > 11.2.3 see:
- Make Installer in MacOS as Offline-Installer: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore.../mac-install.html#downloading-macos-modern-os
Read Caution after: macOS 12, Monterey Note ...

- Need mapping USB ports for Big Sur > 11.2.3 or Monterey (MacOS has a USB 15 port limit):

If you like I can send you a youtube link with how to do port mapping with Hackingtool.

Update: After setting XhciPortLimit to FALSE/NO at least the USB 2.0 Ports are working now and I can continue with the installation process. I will post the complete setup guide after installation is complete.

-- Original message

I am trying to install the latest macOS Big Sur on the Gigabyte Z490M (not Gaming X) with Intel Core i5-10400 / Sapphire Radeon R9 270.

I am stuck in the installation process: After switching to graphics mode and displaying the Apple logo, the bar stalls at about 5% and a cursor can be seen in the upper left corner of the screen. However, the boot process continues and after some time the macOS recovery menu is displayed. Only, no USB ports seem to work (mouse and keyboard are dead) - or the computer is frozen.

The boot USB stick was created according to Dortania's OpenCore Install Guide. The resulting EFI attached.

Unfortunately, there is no install guide for this motherboard that I could follow.Since I'm running out of ideas on what else I could do now my question, if anyone here is successfully using this board or can give me a tip on what I could do.

Thanks a lot!

Hi,
i have a Gigabyte Z490M (not Gaming X) too, but with i5-10500 and no other PCI-card. I may help you with USB ports problems. You must do USB port mapping by hand for Big Sur after 11.2.3 (11.3.x ...). Further explanation at end of text. That may solve your problems.

You can help me too. My USB-Installer hangs a short time after boot before any Apple logo. Hanging either with Catalina 10.15.7 and Big Sur 11.2.3. Can you tell me your Gigabyte Z490M BIOS version (F5, F6, F7c, F20 or F21b?), which settings you changed after set to default settings (in BIOS pressed F7 for optimized defaults) and what output on board port (DVI, HDMI or DP) you are using on first install?
I did try your EFI too, but no other behaviour. This Chipset and processor are highly recommendeed by tonymacx86 and should normally work.

- Make Installer in MacOS as Offline-Installer: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore.../mac-install.html#downloading-macos-modern-os

- Need mapping USB ports for Big Sur > 11.2.3 or Monterey (MacOS has a USB 15 port limit):

If you like I can send you a youtube link with how to do port mapping with Hackingtool.
please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier

Hi,

Hi @topipa, thanks for your offer, but I finally got everything working after the "workaround" mentioned above.
For USB-mapping, I finally used the post-install instructions by dortania for USB-fixes.

Abut BIOS I can only tell you, that I updated the BIOS to the latest available from GA. And again - for the BIOS settings I took the ones from dortania mentioned here: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config.plist/coffee-lake.html#intel-bios-settings

Since I used a dedicated GPU, I changed the settings for default output settings in BIOS to PCI. But my guess would be, that either of your ports (at least HDMI, DVI) should work. I am sorry for not being very helpful here.

Greetings & good luck

Hi penzelan,
thanks for your response. I have a hint for you and a last question:

My hint:
Your dortania link refers to coffe lake processors (i.e. i5-8400) and not to your comet lake i5-10400 processor. Most are the same, but you may have just luck for working with your settings. I did wonder because i took the comet lake instructions and did not find your used AAPL,ig-platform-id 0300913E for UHD-630 non display use. The recommended AAPL,ig-platform-id for comet lake is 0300C89B for UHD-630 non display use (see: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config.plist/comet-lake.html#deviceproperties ). So you may have trouble in future. The SMBIOS iMac20,1 setting you did correct use from comet lake infos, coffe lake would be iMac19,1.

My question for my next install try:
Did you use Open Core version 0.6.8 or what OC version did you use?
What Big Sur version did you install direct with OC - 11.2.3 or what newer version?
Did you use brand new BIOS version F21b from end of october or latest F20 version from april before?

Thanks for a short answer.

On success i will describe the installation of Gigabyte Z490M, i5-10500 with internal UHD-630 display later here and i will upload my used EFI with BIOS version and settings.

Last edited:
Hi penzelan,
thanks for your response. I have a hint for you and a last question:

My hint:
Your dortania link refers to coffe lake processors (i.e. i5-8400) and not to your comet lake i5-10400 processor. Most are the same, but you may have just luck for working with your settings. I did wonder because i took the comet lake instructions and did not find your used AAPL,ig-platform-id 0300913E for UHD-630 non display use. The recommended AAPL,ig-platform-id for comet lake is 0300C89B for UHD-630 non display use (see: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config.plist/comet-lake.html#deviceproperties ). So you may have trouble in future. The SMBIOS iMac20,1 setting you did correct use from comet lake infos, coffe lake would be iMac19,1.

My question for my next install try:
Did you use Open Core version 0.6.8 or what OC version did you use?
What Big Sur version did you install direct with OC - 11.2.3 or what newer version?
Did you use brand new BIOS version F21b from end of october or latest F20 version from april before?

Thanks for a short answer.

On success i will describe the installation of Gigabyte Z490M, i5-10500 with internal UHD-630 display later here and i will upload my used EFI with BIOS version and settings.
Hi,

thanks for your hint, but fortunately my link to dortania's tutorial was only c&p for my answer above and not the one I used for installation :)

I used the latest OpenCore 7.5.
I installed latest BigSur at the time of installation (downloaded in an VirtualBox installation of macOS, but I guess gibMacOS would have been an alternative).
About BIOS I am not sure, because the installation I did was for another person and I don't have access to the computer right now. But I think I used the latest officially available BIOS from Gigabyte's download page.

Greetings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back