CPU
Intel i7 6600K
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I recently installed 10.13.6 and everything was fine except my USB ports--external drives didn't seem to work.

Read here to install “Remove XHCI USD Port Limit” and “USB Inject All” with Multibeast, did that, and now my PC restarts during boot.

Things I've tried:

- Can get in with safe mode, unsure how to troubleshoot from there without access to EFI.
- Tried going back to 10.13.4 via internal time machine backup.
- Wiped and reinstalled 10.13.6 from external CCC backup.
- Tried connecting directly via thunderbolt.
- Tried connecting the SSD via usb to macbook, nothing showed up.
- Created new USB bootable drive. Install was successful, but stuck on loading bar.

I have access to my current and old config.plist, EFI backups, but I'm not sure what to fix or where to go from here.

Also, I have the ability to delete kexts from the EFI with my windows 10 drive (dual boot), but I'm not sure which kexts to delete. Viewing it from Windows, the "Other" folder seems to be full of kexts matching my 10.13.4 build, while the "10.13" folder is blank and the "10.14" folder has a bunch of new kexts. I'm sure that has something to do with it.

Any help or links I should try?

Please see config.plist and verbose mode screenshot attached.

Attachments

• config-generate.plist
    15 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_1971.JPG
    IMG_1971.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 202
I recently installed 10.13.6 and everything was fine except my USB ports--external drives didn't seem to work.

Read here to install “Remove XHCI USD Port Limit” and “USB Inject All” with Multibeast, did that, and now my PC restarts during boot.

Things I've tried:

- Can get in with safe mode, unsure how to troubleshoot from there without access to EFI.
- Tried going back to 10.13.4 via internal time machine backup.
- Wiped and reinstalled 10.13.6 from external CCC backup.
- Tried connecting directly via thunderbolt.
- Tried connecting the SSD via usb to macbook, nothing showed up.
- Created new USB bootable drive. Install was successful, but stuck on loading bar.

I have access to my current and old config.plist, EFI backups, but I'm not sure what to fix or where to go from here.

Also, I have the ability to delete kexts from the EFI with my windows 10 drive (dual boot), but I'm not sure which kexts to delete. Viewing it from Windows, the "Other" folder seems to be full of kexts matching my 10.13.4 build, while the "10.13" folder is blank and the "10.14" folder has a bunch of new kexts. I'm sure that has something to do with it.

Any help or links I should try?
Please see config.plist and verbose mode screenshot attached.
  • I suggest uploading the whole CLOVER folder as a zipped file rather than just the config.plist which has to rely on the CLOVER/drivers64UEFI and /kexts/Other folder contents to navigate your disk to its destination.
  • I suspect some major problem has happened to /kexts/Other for the "Kernel Panics" to occur.
Created new USB bootable drive. Install was successful, but stuck on loading bar.

Not clear what you meant by that. An image uploaded would have made it a little bit clearer with the visual clues it could provide.

See attached

I meant that the USB drive freezes at the Apple logo during startup. Will follow up with an image.

• I assume you have uploaded the CLOVER from your USB Installer disk and NOT the system disk
  • I also assume , you have your Monitor connected digitally to your Nvidia GTX 1050 SSC
  • Since you have 2 Graphics ( Intel HD 530 IGFX and the NVIDIA PCIE) as hardware, I don't know how you have set your BIOS_Peripherals_Initial Display Output and Intel Processor associated Graphics (IGFX) [see image of your Motherboard's BIOS) . This can affect the outcome of boot.
  • If the CLOVER is from USB, your settings are not OK for Nvidia GTX 1050 booting from Installer disk
    • USB has no Nvidia Web drivers to boot successfully with[√] NvidiaWeb
    • USB has no Nvidia kext to be injected to work normally with [√]nvda_drv=1 as boot arg
    • It can only boot with nv_disable=1during installation.

Attachments

• 1.BIOS_Periphearls.png
    1.BIOS_Periphearls.png
    92.8 KB · Views: 197
  • 2.kexts:Other.png
    2.kexts:Other.png
    84.7 KB · Views: 201
  • 4.config_System Parameters.png
    4.config_System Parameters.png
    225.1 KB · Views: 197
  • config_boot.png
    config_boot.png
    235.7 KB · Views: 186
  • 1.CLOVER_drivers64UEFI.png
    1.CLOVER_drivers64UEFI.png
    67.1 KB · Views: 186
This was all so helpful! Thank you very much. I will try to provide as much detail as possible below.

I assume you have uploaded the CLOVER from your USB Installer disk and NOT the system disk
Unsure, I am booting from the USB Drive with the version of Clover included on the latest Unibeast (black background).
  • Should I install the latest Clover to my USB Drive?
  • I noticed my MacOS boot drive is listed as "HFS" and not "APFS". Could this be problematic?
I also assume , you have your Monitor connected digitally to your Nvidia GTX 1050 SSC
Yes, my monitor is currently connected via Displayport to the GTX 1050.
  • Tried connecting via Displayport to IGFX (with Initial Display Output set to IGFX), reboot loop persisted.
Since you have 2 Graphics ( Intel HD 530 IGFX and the NVIDIA PCIE) as hardware, I don't know how you have set your BIOS_Peripherals_Initial Display Output and Intel Processor associated Graphics (IGFX) [see image of your Motherboard's BIOS) . This can affect the outcome of boot.
Initial Display Output is currently set to: PCIE1Slot
Internal Graphics are Enabled.

Here are the edits I made to the USB using Clover Configurator while logged into my Backup Disk, after reading your post:

1. Installed new kexts in "Other" folder:
  • FakeSMC.kext
  • Lilu.kext
  • Whatevergreen.kext
  • USBinjectall.kext
    • Unchecked: ACPIsensor, CPUsensor, GPUsensor, etc.
2. Edited System Parameters
  • Inject kexts: no
  • Inject system ID: no
  • NvidiaWeb: no
3. Initial Display Output: attempted both IGFX and PCIE1Slot methods, separately.

4. Boot Args: nv_disable=1 (no dart=0, no nvda_drv=1)

Tried many permutations, such as:
  • Boot from SSD (Samsung 850 EVO, main drive)
    • Boot Mac OS Install from SSD (Ø)
    • Boot Backup HD from External HDD (Reboot)
    • Boot Recovery HD from Recovery Drive (Ø)
    • Boot MacOS from Macintosh HD (Reboot)
  • Boot from USB (Sandisk 32GB Flash, backup drive)
    • Boot Mac OS Install from SSD (Ø)
    • Boot Backup HD from External HDD (Reboot) <--- lost access since last time
    • Boot Recovery HD from Recovery Drive (Ø)
    • Boot MacOS from Macintosh HD (Reboot)
I've actually lost my ability to access the Recovery HD via USB Drive at this point, which may be problematic. I suspect something is wrong with my USB Drive/Clover setup.

This was all so helpful! Thank you very much. I will try to provide as much detail as possible below.

Unsure, I am booting from the USB Drive with the version of Clover included on the latest Unibeast (black background).
  • Should I install the latest Clover to my USB Drive?
  • I noticed my MacOS boot drive is listed as "HFS" and not "APFS". Could this be problematic?

Yes, my monitor is currently connected via Displayport to the GTX 1050.
  • Tried connecting via Displayport to IGFX (with Initial Display Output set to IGFX), reboot loop persisted.

Initial Display Output is currently set to: PCIE1Slot
Internal Graphics are Enabled.

Unsure, I am booting from the USB Drive with the version of Clover included on the latest Unibeast (black background). Should I install the latest Clover to my USB Drive?
  • Installer Flash drives are created using HFS+J format for the main partition ( close to 15+GB in size) where Unibeast will copy the macOS His Sierra Installer's files in compressed form. The flash disk will have a 210 MB EFI Partition formatted with FAT for the EFI Folder creation in which Clover Efi files are installed by Unibeast.
  • The Clover in Unibeast is not the latest but was the current one at the time of its creation.
  • It is not expected to cause problem in most installations. [ I don't use UB, I use Terminal commands to create the installer and install latest CLOVER I trust and edit folder contents manually)
I noticed my MacOS boot drive is listed as "HFS" and not "APFS". Could this be problematic?
I lost you here.
Where (what screen) do you see "HFS"?
Have you already used your installer to boot to the Disk Utility screen , found your Hard disk , formatted it (Erased) and finished macOS installation?
Is it the macOS boot drive that is marked as "HFS" .
Are you seeing this on Clover Boot Manager Screen where you choose disk to boot ?
Besides the USB installer Flash disk and the hard disk for macOS High Sierra installation, are there any other Internal or external hard disks currently attached to the computer?

Please take a photo of your Clover Boot Manager screen showing all disk icons and upload the image to the Forum so I can be in the same page as you.

• If your Monitor is connected to PCIE Graphics, you should Disable the IGFX in the BIOS.

Where (what screen) do you see "HFS"?
When booting from USB, in the Clover Boot Manager screen, I see the MacOS boot drive is marked as "HFS". See image attached.

Have you already used your installer to boot to the Disk Utility screen , found your Hard disk , formatted it (Erased) and finished macOS installation?
I believe so, but I will do it again to be sure.

Besides the USB installer Flash disk and the hard disk for macOS High Sierra installation, are there any other Internal or external hard disks currently attached to the computer?
Yes. Here is a list of all connected drives (not including partitions):

Internal
MacOS boot drive (500gb Samsung EVO SSD)
Windows 10 boot drive (250gb Intel SSD)

External
USB Installer flash disk (Sandisk 32gb) via front USB 3.0
Backup drive (8TB Seagate HDD) via rear USB 3.0

Recreating USB install drive now and then booting to the Disk Utility screen, finding hard disk, formatting it (Erased) and finishing macOS installation to be sure.

You're my hero! Working full time to figure this out over here. Thank you so much for helping.

Attachments

• IMG_2620.JPG
    IMG_2620.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 144

Created a fresh install on my USB, followed the directions and triple checked BIOS settings. Made sure IGFX was disabled.

After booting from USB and reaching the Clover Boot Screen, I ran "Boot OSX Install from Install MacOS High Sierra" with bootargs: dart=0 nv_disable=1

Also tried bootargs: -x, -s, and -v. All result in the same Ø symbol. When running in verbose mode, the same symbol appears, surrounded by broken text. See attached examples of broken text.

Attachments

• IMG_2776.JPG
    IMG_2776.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1863.JPG
    IMG_1863.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 132
Created a fresh install on my USB, followed the directions and triple checked BIOS settings. Made sure IGFX was disabled.

After booting from USB and reaching the Clover Boot Screen, I ran "Boot OSX Install from Install MacOS High Sierra" with bootargs: dart=0 nv_disable=1

Also tried bootargs: -x, -s, and -v. All result in the same Ø symbol. When running in verbose mode, the same symbol appears, surrounded by broken text. See attached examples of broken text.

• Now I have a much better understanding of your 'hardware milieu'
  • The uploaded Verbose boot screen shows " Prohibit Entry Sign " error. It is from failure of file transfer from the USB Installer from Port failure

• Because you have too many currently unnecessary Disks connected to the System, your macOS installation is going to be more complicated and prone to easy failure.

I suggest the following until you finish macOS High Sierra installation on the 500gb Samsung EVO SSD
  • Disconnect Windows 10 SSD 250GB
  • Disconnect 8TB Seagate HDD on USB 3 enclosure
  • Connect only the macOS High Sierra 500gb SamSung EVO SSD as Internal SATA in SATA-port 0 ( if the ports start from 0 or 1 if the first port is named as 1 on your MoBo
  • Add to your kexts/Other folder of macOS High Sierra UEFI USB Installer disk, GenericUSBXHCI.kext
  • Connect your macOS High Sierra UEFI USB installer (I assume it is USB 2.0) to a USB2.0 port at the back of the computer. If your System has only USB 3.0 ports then use the back USB 3.0 port
  • Go back to BIOS and in Boot Option Priority make your USB (32GB) macOS High Sierra Installer Disk as the first boot device and DISABLE all other devices in Boot Order list leaving the UEFI USB Installer as the sole device to boot.
  • Boot to CBM screen.
  • You should now see only your InstallmacOS High Sierra USB Installer and the Previously Installed macOS High Sierra 500gb SamSung EVO SSD.
  • Try booting the macOS High Sierra 500gb SamSung EVO SSD in verbose mode
  • Upload any failed Verbose boot screen
  • If it fails to reach login screen, next we will try to boot all the way through USB Installer to Reformat and Reinstall on the Samsung 500GB SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back