Contribute
Register

Stuck at "Still waiting for root device" - tried almost everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Windows 7 Pro
CPU
i5-3570k
Graphics
XFX HD 6870 ref. w/ Gelid Icy Vision 2
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Windows Phone
My Spec:
ASUS p8z77-V PRO
i5-3570k
XFX HD 6870 ref
Ripjaws X 2x4GB
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB

using the bootable ML usb created via another HackBookPro with unibeast.

1st try:
Without any flags; ends up with a Stop sign above the apple logo

2nd try:
GraphicsEnabler=No; same as above

3rd try:
GraphicsEnabler=No -x -v; saw it getting stuck at "still waiting for root device" for a few lines (it repeats)

4th try:
GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=1 -x -v; same as above

5th try:
GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=0 -x -v; same as above

// read that 68xx gfx have problems, so I removed it and depended on my onboard gpu //

replicated the tries from 1st to 5th try - still the same problem.

Is there something I should do in the bios for the onboard graphics?

I highly doubt that any other thing is affecting it...

Please advice?

Thanks!

"Waiting for root device" is not a graphics problem. It means it can't find the USB drive to boot from it. Try the USB drive in different ports. Try remaking the drive with Unibeast. Try a different flash drive for making Unibeast. Unplug all drives except the one to which you will install OSX. Make sure that drive is plugged into the 1st SATA port.

"Waiting for root device" is not a graphics problem. It means it can't find the USB drive to boot from it. Try the USB drive in different ports. Try remaking the drive with Unibeast. Try a different flash drive for making Unibeast. Unplug all drives except the one to which you will install OSX. Make sure that drive is plugged into the 1st SATA port.

hmmm. i see.

I can't even get to the installer...

I'll try again tmr. thank you!!

hmmm. i see.

I can't even get to the installer...

I'll try again tmr. thank you!!

Can you check which USB port you're using for your Unibeast USB flashdrive? They should be on the USB2 ones. The Z77 controlled USB3 ports should also work but the Asmedia's won't.

You shouldn't have to modify Unibeast with kexts so I'd leave that as a last resort. Anyway the AHCI kexts are for addressing a SATA HD timing problem so it shouldn't make a difference since you're still trying to boot off your USB.

Connect the usb stick on the 2.0 ports. If you still find yourself stuck on the issue try the atached kext.

cheers.

Attachments

• TotallyFixStillWaiting.kext.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 3,807
Connect the usb stick on the 2.0 ports. If you still find yourself stuck on the issue try the atached kext.

cheers.

Well guys what happened? Fixed? How? The kext above?

I'm having the same problem as the OP, except with a Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3 board. I've tried every boot flag that's been suggested: npci=0x2000 & npci=0x3000 (not at the same time of course), PCIRootUID=0, UseKernelCache=no, and various combinations of these but nothing works. I've tried this with both a Lion and a Mountain Lion UniBeast installer, on both front and back USB 2.0 ports to no avail. Here's the hardware:

• Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3 w/BIOS F8 (latest)
  • Intel Core i3-2105 (I'm using the HD 3000 graphics)
  • 8GB RAM (but I've removed one of the sticks of RAM to eliminate that as a possible problem)
  • Samsung 840 series 120GB SSD
  • LG DVD burner (disconnected for now to eliminate it as a potential problem)
  • TP-Link WDN4800 Wifi PCIe adapter
  • Generic USB keyboard and mouse

I have SATA configured as AHCI in the BIOS, as well as HPET 64-bit. I've tried disabling the USB 3.0 controller, in case it was causing a conflict.

Any ideas? Anyone?

The USB 2 trick worked for me.

Mobo :GA H77 WIFI ITX.

Flags: -v -x

I began the install with the USB key on a USB 3 port and then switched it in a USB 2 port while the "still wainting for device" was prompting.

Thanks !

Hope it worked for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back