GA Z97M-D3H
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I have a GA-Z97m-d3h with a i5-4690k processor. I've used it as a hackintosh for a long time (until El Capitan, iirc), then decided to run Linux on it for a while and now I'm trying to get macOS on it again, but without success.

I tried following the Mojave guide, had some issues because the installer wasn't downloading all the files, found a solution here on the forums (basically doing as I were to install it on the system I was creating the installation media so that it would download the remaining files, then gathering it all and "artificially" creating the ISO) and it seemed to work, then it rebooted. I wasn't looking the moment it did the reboot, so I'm not sure if it was the regular reboot it does before you start configuring macOS, but I was left with the feeling that the first part of the installation was a bit quick.

Well, now it won't boot. I tried the whole process again and I can't even boot into the USB media. I get the "Insert proper boot media" message after the motherboard splash screen. I can get into SETUP, but it seems it doesn't matter what I do there, nothing gets me to boot.

I tried downloading High Sierra and following its installation guide with UniBeast 8.3.2 and MultiBeast 10.4.0, but had no luck either. Same results.

Hi,

I have a GA-Z97m-d3h with a i5-4690k processor. I've used it as a hackintosh for a long time (until El Capitan, iirc), then decided to run Linux on it for a while and now I'm trying to get macOS on it again, but without success.

I tried following the Mojave guide, had some issues because the installer wasn't downloading all the files, found a solution here on the forums (basically doing as I were to install it on the system I was creating the installation media so that it would download the remaining files, then gathering it all and "artificially" creating the ISO) and it seemed to work, then it rebooted. I wasn't looking the moment it did the reboot, so I'm not sure if it was the regular reboot it does before you start configuring macOS, but I was left with the feeling that the first part of the installation was a bit quick.

Well, now it won't boot. I tried the whole process again and I can't even boot into the USB media. I get the "Insert proper boot media" message after the motherboard splash screen. I can get into SETUP, but it seems it doesn't matter what I do there, nothing gets me to boot.

I tried downloading High Sierra and following its installation guide with UniBeast 8.3.2 and MultiBeast 10.4.0, but had no luck either. Same results.

Hold the delete key at machine startup.
Check bios boot option#1 and set to UEFI option of the disk you loaded MacOS on.

Another option should be boot overide and select proper UEFI partition.

Hold the delete key at machine startup.
Check bios boot option#1 and set to UEFI option of the disk you loaded MacOS on.

Another option should be boot overide and select proper UEFI partition.

Tried it. Same results. It acts like the USB stick isn't bootable. Any ideas?

Bios settings enable HXCI

Also look for Legacy or UEFI options for USB and boot modes.

Yes, now it worked. I blocked all non-UEFI boot methods. It was strange, though, that after the first reboot in which you then start configuring macOS, it booted again right in the middle. I don't recall it happening in the former installs I had performed. I treated it as if it were the first reboot, a lot of quick text appeared in the clover splash screen and installation finally went on.

Any remarks about this behaviour?

As a side note, something that I always found a little weird about this machine is that whenever I turn it off by pushing the power button in the case it turns of and then on after a second. Makes me wonder if there isn't something wrong with the hardware...

Thank you for all the help.

Yes, now it worked. I blocked all non-UEFI boot methods. It was strange, though, that after the first reboot in which you then start configuring macOS, it booted again right in the middle. I don't recall it happening in the former installs I had performed. I treated it as if it were the first reboot, a lot of quick text appeared in the clover splash screen and installation finally went on.

Any remarks about this behaviour?

As a side note, something that I always found a little weird about this machine is that whenever I turn it off by pushing the power button in the case it turns of and then on after a second. Makes me wonder if there isn't something wrong with the hardware...

Thank you for all the help.

The new apfs file system does this text scroll at startup and shutdown. Nothing to worry about. There was a fix for it but I’ve lost track of it.

You could try using clover configurator app and set ACPI “fix shutdown”. You could also try it I. The clover boot menu. Use the cursor arrows at clover boot screen to go to Options then ACPI and DSDT fixes. Just check the box next to fix shutdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back